Can't Decide....

paget

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board and also to cruising. I have enjoyed reading all your post and have learned so much information. Seeing that I live 15 minutes from the port in Boston I was thinking about doing the Dream in August of 2008 to Bermuda. I know she is an older ship, so I was wondering will I be disappointed. I also thought of going to NYC and taking the Dawn, but I do prefer the 3 nights in Bermuda. I also have the AOS booked for August of 2008 if I don't do Bermuda. Please help me decide. Thanks for your help.

First of all, welcome to Cruise Critic, and even more importantly, welcome to cruising!!! You'll be addicted in no time :D

Well, I don't know much about the Dream, but I've heard it's a good ship. Also, the Dawn does do 3 nights in Bermuda. It just moves to Grassy Bay (I'm assuming this is a tender port) in Bermuda. We've been on the Dawn and it's an awesome ship!!! We're going again in June. Can't Wait!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board and also to cruising. I have enjoyed reading all your post and have learned so much information. Seeing that I live 15 minutes from the port in Boston I was thinking about doing the Dream in August of 2008 to Bermuda. I know she is an older ship, so I was wondering will I be disappointed. I also thought of going to NYC and taking the Dawn, but I do prefer the 3 nights in Bermuda. I also have the AOS booked for August of 2008 if I don't do Bermuda. Please help me decide. Thanks for your help.

What is the AOS doing in August? If I had to chose I would go on the Dawn rather then the Dream. I am also doing Bermuda on the Dawn next summer. The drive from Boston to NY is not that bad. You may like the Dream. I went to Bermuda on the Crown and was disappointed. Alot of people love the Crown, I prefer a newer ship. Good Luck.

It would be nice to just drive to a port in a few minutes. Will you be disappointed? Well that depends, becasue you have never cruised you have nothing to compare it with. For many the Dream is truely that. I know some that would cruise her over and over.Others prefer the newer ships with many dining choices and more glitz and glamour. If spending time in Bermuda is important to you and the price is right, giving the Dream a chance may be all it takes to hook you on cruising forever.

don't hesitate to ask all the questions you want, that is one of the things that makes these boards so much fun and valuable. WE all learn from each other.

NMnita

My first cruise was 1997 on Grandeur of the Seas, think she was less then a year old at the time. I was awed. Also one of the bigger boats at the time.

Then we went on a much smaller boat to do a Canada/New England cruise and my TA was worried, knowing that my first cruise spoiled me. I adjusted expectations and still had a good time. Though I wouldn't do it again. The boat was built in the 60's I think.

Now I'm sailing to Bermuda on NCLs Majesty for the first time. I know it is a smaller boat, but only in comparison to the big ships. If you never been you will have nothing to compare. I think the Dream is bigger then the Majesty.

Plus only driving 15 minutes to port? That is a great trade off. You are in Bermua for a few days. The ship won't be as important for this trip in my opinion. More of a hotel/eatery. I like the idea of being in the same place for more then 8 hours.

I would sail out of Boston and give it a try. Then as you move on to a bigger ship with more sea days you will experience the next level of cruising.

I never been on the Dream but in my limited experience you will be impressed the first time. Then as you try a bigger ship you will say the Dream was "nice" but the bigger one is better, etc...

I am in the same boat (haha) as you are. We live about 25 minutes from Boston, and the ride in is sooooooooo easy compared to going out of NY. We have cruised, numerous times already, out of Boston and NY, and they are 2 totally different ports. There is no hassle whatsoever cruising out of Boston, the ease of the port beats out the port of NY in everyway.

Now onto the ships, you have listed 3 of them, which are all TOTALLY different in my book. Having been on the Dawn and the AOS's sistership the Explorer, you just cannot compare the 2. While the Dawn was a pretty ship, we much preffered the Explorer. The Dawn was pretty, but just did not have that Wow factor for us like the Explorer did. Then comes the Dream, not having been on that specific ship, i cannot tell you too much about it, we have been on older smaller ships before though (N.Majesty & Celebrity Zenith) and as long as you go knowing what to expect, there is no reason while you will not have a nice cruise.

You also listed 2 different lines (which i noticed nobody else even spoke of the other line), but, whatever. I am probably gonna get flamed on the NCL board for this, but we do prefer RCI to Norwegian (whole other thread). We normally just do Norwegian because of its cruising out of Boston and NY, that is the only selling point for us. But now with RCI homeporting the Explorer out of NJ, we have other options.

Basically, to sum it up, you will enjoy either on, but just do your homework here on CC so you know what to expect.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you for all your replies. Familyof4, AOS is doing the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan. I can't wait to experience my first cruise.

AOS is a great ship and a great itinerary. But do you have to make a choice between AOS or the Dawn? If so I would avoid the airport. That is my preference. I would do AOS in the winter. There is a small window to do Bermuda.

I am in the same boat. My family wants to plan a family "reunion" cruise for the summer of 08. I was excited when I saw NCL was putting a new ship on the Boston/Bermuda itinerary as I live about ten minutes from the port. Doing a little research I see this is an older ship and doesn't look like it has been recently refurbished. I also read somewhere that it will be leaving the NCL fleet in 2010. Is it my immagination or does Boston get the ships that are on there way out? I have sailed the NCL Majesty Bermuda itinerary and the ship was old and worn. Can anyone tell me the condition of the Dream? I can get cheaper cruise fares if I book out of NY. Thanks.

Hi everyone,

With all the replies, I'm sure you are still confused!! LOL. I haven't been on the Dream but I did take an older ship to Bermuda, Celebrity Zenith. Once in Bermuda, we spent so little time on the ship so I didn't think it was a problem. I've since been on NCL's Dawn and loved that too. We live in the NY metro area, so I choose cruises out of NY for the convenience. Because of some problems with my legs, I don't "travel" well and therefore prefer just to drive to port and get on board.

When we were on the Dawn, the couple in the next suite were out of Boston. They chose the Dawn because they wanted a bigger ship and they had already been to Bermuda. (The Dawn went to the Bahamas on that cruise) Me, I'm waiting until the Dawn goes back to Bermuda because I loved Bermuda as opposed to the Bahamas.

If you are only 15 minutes to the Boston port, I would take the Dream. How relaxing would it be to pack and be at the port so quickly. You'll be in Bermuda before you know it and spending most of your day on shore.

Here is my reply to the same question another poster had:

The Dawn vs. Dream debate boils down to two very distinct desires.

Are you going on this cruise to experience Bermuda? Then you sail on the Dream.

Are you going on this cruise for the sake of cruising? Then you sail on the Dawn.

For me, my cruises to Bermuda are all about spending as much time in Bermuda as I can. If the Dawn spent more time on the island, we would gladly drive the 4 hours through awful traffic to set sail, and happily wave at the Statue of Liberty as we steamed by. However, as it is the Dream that will give us the best Bermuda run for our money, we will gladly book passage on her (and be secretly glad that she’s an hour from my house).

To us it is all about getting the most time in Bermuda that we can and whatever ship provides that for us is the clear winner.

Oh yeah, and St. George vs. Dockyard? :rolleyes: ……. mmmmmm? St. George, duh! :)

Cube

Here is my reply to the same question another poster had:

The Dawn vs. Dream debate boils down to two very distinct desires.

Are you going on this cruise to experience Bermuda? Then you sail on the Dream.

Are you going on this cruise for the sake of cruising? Then you sail on the Dawn.

For me, my cruises to Bermuda are all about spending as much time in Bermuda as I can. If the Dawn spent more time on the island, we would gladly drive the 4 hours through awful traffic to set sail, and happily wave at the Statue of Liberty as we steamed by. However, as it is the Dream that will give us the best Bermuda run for our money, we will gladly book passage on her (and be secretly glad that she’s an hour from my house).

To us it is all about getting the most time in Bermuda that we can and whatever ship provides that for us is the clear winner.

Oh yeah, and St. George vs. Dockyard? :rolleyes: ……. mmmmmm? St. George, duh! :)

Cube

Ditto! Only we'll be taking the Crown out of NY in Sept. Goes to Hamilton and St George. Added bonus is that the smaller the ship the quicker you get off the ship.

I've been on the Dream, and it is a good ship.

Now, realize that it was built and rebuilt prior to the whole concept of freestyle dining, so there are a couple of things that can be a little annoying at times, but nothing to get worked up about.

The biggest problem I experienced was in the situation where the breakfast buffet was served. Basically, it was served in the "sports bar" area which is really small, and there was usually a long wait unless you timed it right. Many mornings when we had excursions it was far easier to order room service the night before for our breakfast since we needed to be on a schedule. Room service is one thing I would suggest if you do not have time in the morning or need to head off the ship for a planed excursion. Otherwise, none of the above precludes you from enjoying a relaxing sit down breakfast in the dining room.

For the trips to Bermuda... its a great ship.

The Dawn is a fabulous ship as well, and was truly designed from the ground up for freestyle and it shows.

Archived