To Pisa...or not to Pisa

How was your experience in Pisa  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How was your experience in Pisa

• It was wonderful. An absolute must see.
    • An added bonus to the tour of Florence.
    • A fair experience...Could have omitted it from the tour
    • Never went.

Im going to do a private tour of Pisa/Florence and was wondering how much time should be alloted to spend in Pisa.

Ive been getting mixed reviews that Pisa isnt even worth seeing given that Florence has so much more to see and do.

Any feedback?

thanks

Actually, a cruise (or 10 cruises) will never give you a real opportunity to truly visit this part of Italy. After a few cruises to Italy, we finally started spending time in Italy and renting a car. After a few months of driving through Italy, we still have yet to dent the charms of this wonderful country. Personally, I would skip Pisa in favor of maximizing my time in Florence. Than I would consider visiting Siena, San Gimignano, Lucca, and about 25 other places before visiting Pisa. Just one persons opinion (make it 2 if you want to count my wife).

Hank

Try not to think of this as an "either or" situation. You definitely will not have time to see all the glories of Florence in one day. So, decide if you can see the highlights of what you really want to see in the time allotted.

Once we got to Florence it was obvious that we wouldn't get to scratch the surface. (But then, we took this cruise as a "sampler" of great European cities and that's what we got.)

We REALLY enjoyed the Tower of Pisa and would have kicked ourselves if we'd skipped it over for more time in Florence. We found the little things about the tower experience to be fun: Banging into walls as you climb up and down; noting the worn areas of the marble steps where great men climbed before you; enjoying the view of the countryside from one side of the tower and the view of the football stadium from the other; laughing over the insignificant guard rail at the top; experiencing the ringing of the bell. We like quirky things. This fit the quirky bill, but it was also thought-provoking.

What's that saying about regretting all the things you DIDN'T do?

One more thing: I should mention that you can buy your tickets in advance online and that will save you alot of time. We bought the first tour of the day. There were hardly any people on site a that time, giving you opportunity to take photos and shop for your kitschy souvenirs without interference from other tourists. The website for advance tickets is:

http://www.opapisa.it/boxoffice/first.jsp

It won't take alot of your time to see Pisa.. and I think you will have missed something so wonderful if you pass on going there.

From the first sight of the elaning tower as we approached.. everyone in the car was smiling.. it is something you've read about, seen all your life in books and movies.. and to see it in person.. well..

Since you can't do an in depth visit to any cities in Italy, you might as well at least see as much as you can. Pisa is one of those places that if you are close to you should see. It doesn't take much time and it is something that will remind you of your wonderful trip every time you see a picture of it.

We did a private tour and booked our tickets online 45 days prior. The earliest climb is 8:30-9 a.m. We didn't arrive until 8:55 at the ticket booth, but our guide talked to them and they let us climb at 9. We were done at 9:30 and we are so glad we did it. It only took 1 hour plus out of our day and there is so much to see everyone in Italy, that I am glad we did it! We couldn't possibly see everything in Florence anyway, but climbing was great. Once is enough, but the pictures and views from the top and the "leaning" are awesome!

Donna

Not to mention that your family and friends always get a smile on their face when they see the picture of the Leaning Tower. It is the one place they alwaysrecognize in your pictures.

BTW, we didn't go up into the tower. Just took pictures and were amazed by how much it leaned and how tall it was. Then off to Florence.

Archived