Where to find a cute hat?

I have melasma so it is important for me to protect my face from the sun by wearing sun screen and if possible, a hat.

The problem is, I can't find anything other than baseball caps that don't look completely silly on me. Locally, there isn't a good selection of hats out yet. Does anyone know of a good online source for fun, stylish hats?:confused:

This page has two hats (different brim sizes) for you to see. I have the smaller brimmed hat, it's lasted for years, packs well and is comfortable.

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=285&itemType=CATEGORY&page=3&sortBy=0

If you want to spend a few $ and get a really good hat, look into a Helen Kaminski hat, several are listed at Nordstrom. They are a tighter weave than cheap hats and will last a lifetime. Whatever hat you buy, make sure it has a chin strap, if not it might take a permanent ocean vacation.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/C/6006941/0~2376779~6008000~6006941?mediumthumbnail=Y&P=1&origin=styleCollectionPager_numbers&pbo=6006941

IMHO the problem with buying a hat online would be finding the pefect fit. If you have a Nordstrom in your state I would suggest looking there. I have bought a few hats from them - they have a good selection year round.

There was recently a cute reversable sun hat that blocks rays on QVC - check the website. It is a floppy type design with a drawstring so you can adjust the size and came in several colors. One caller in FL said it even kept her head cool when out in the sun. It could be "smooshed down" for packing as well.

There was recently a cute reversable sun hat that blocks rays on QVC - check the website. It is a floppy type design with a drawstring so you can adjust the size and came in several colors. One caller in FL said it even kept her head cool when out in the sun. It could be "smooshed down" for packing as well.

I think it item # A54768 - Physician Endorsed St. Tropez Wide Brim Adjust.Sun Hat $38.20 but it doesn't say reversable.

A54768.jpg.db47f607d7d6cdfb6f0870798a21f6de.jpg

I'm a hat lady and I know how hard it is to find something to keep off the sun and is packable. Here are a couple that I've just purchased that you might like.

At REI I found a great hat with a wide brim and has a drawstring cord in order to customize the fit. I happened to be wandering the store when I found it but it is also available online.

1048892.jpg

http://www.rei.com/product/734791

One of the posters commented about QVC.... I have two hats that I purchased last year for the summer months. One is great for when you have the sun on your back... think out gardening. The other is revisable which gives you that two in one ;)

a1357.001?$proddetailmain$

QVC A1357

My husband actually like mine so I got him one as well. He is very fair and just burns when out in the sun.

a54768_141.101

QVC A54768

I think this is the one I got. Mine has polka dots inside. Couldn't tell from the description. It's part of their "Physician Endorsed" line so if you just search on that you will see other fun options. I find this rim hangs down in front of my eyes too much and even when rolled up it still annoys me a little. I really like the REI one that I bought this year better.

Remember you can never have too many hats!

Why are womens hats one size fits all. I need to find a web site that gives you the choice of buying by hat size. I did not realize I have an odd shaped head until I started trying on hats they just do not fit right. I did buy a floppy mans hat and decorate it to make it a little prettier but would sure love to find some womens hats that I could order by size, the way you can a mans hat.

Why are womens hats one size fits all. I need to find a web site that gives you the choice of buying by hat size. I did not realize I have an odd shaped head until I started trying on hats they just do not fit right. I did buy a floppy mans hat and decorate it to make it a little prettier but would sure love to find some womens hats that I could order by size, the way you can a mans hat.

The TravelSmith hats that I linked come in different sizes, probably why I bought one, my head is larger than average.

luvgoldens:

If you think a ball cap looks okay on you, but want something more stylish & fun., maybe try a visor? The Kaminski visor in the Nordstrom link Happy ks posted is the type I'm thinking might work for you?

Martha

For those who love hats, the ladies who lunch (and raise money) in New York just had the Frederick Law Olmsted awards luncheon in NY, a fundraiser for the Central Park Conservancy. Tradition is all the ladies wear gorgeous and often outrageous hats. Some photos here:

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/node/1386

Consider it an hors d'oeuvre for the upcoming Kentucky Derby:p

Hoyaheel:

What fun to see the pix of the Hat Luncheon! I love hats! Can you send us the next installment coming out tomorrow? I see they'll have more over next 2 days.

Got a real hoot out of the "Lady in Plaid" in the front of first picture. Easily in her late 60's. I should know. That's a perfect example of what my friends refer to as:

"Tweed Frump," aka "Post-Prep," aka "Dowager Drag!" Hope some of the Manhattanites on this board know who THAT designer is......MUST be a man.

And, she had a busy day. See she also attended the book signing at 21 that night that's covered below and did not bother to change! But, she got her $$ worth for that outfit--2 pics.

Martha

I bought a really cute big floppy straw hat in the garden section at Target! It is made for gardening but is cute. I also bought an even bigger one at Steinmart.. it is really big and floppy.. I hang it on the wall between uses.

I love hats and visors. I am fair and my Mom had skin cancer. Both my kids are fair and we live in San Diego (lots of sun.)

We wear hats and clothing from Sun Precautions (same brand as Solumbra.) You can buy this through the web, catalog or they do have a couple of stores. This is SPF clothing. The hats do come in sizes. The stuff is expensive, but well worth it. I have also bought it from ebay at reduced prices. The cloth is lightweight, easy to move in and lasts forever. For the kids, I buy it a little big. We take it to tennis, the pool, the beach and even camping. It has saved our skin many times over.

Many of the hats are flexible and easily packable.

Amy

Hoyaheel:

Got a real hoot out of the "Lady in Plaid" in the front of first picture. Easily in her late 60's. I should know. That's a perfect example of what my friends refer to as:

"Tweed Frump," aka "Post-Prep," aka "Dowager Drag!" Hope some of the Manhattanites on this board know who THAT designer is......MUST be a man.

I think that is Blaine Trump if I'm not mistaken and she's anything but frump. Probably one of the best dressed women in the world.

I think that is Blaine Trump if I'm not mistaken and she's anything but frump. Probably one of the best dressed women in the world.

Hi:

Well, if that's her........she wasn't that day IMO. :)

The 2nd article on the book signing at 21 identifies her as Jame Gammill.

Archived