Before you decide NOT to join a roll call, please read

tuggers

Hi David! I am from Delaware ... little town called Viola! Thanks for the info...I started a roll call and my cruise isn't until 1/08...only 8 peeps so far but?????

That seems like a lot to me--we cruise in less than eight weeks and, I think, the roll call was six people as of yesterday or the day before. Doesn't seem very promising...

Gail - excellent post, as always! And I couldn't agree more. It's nice to see a smiling face occasionally in the mobs of people on board. Our roll call for Alaska is quite meager, and I wish some more very social people would join in. We still have a few months to go, so I'm hopeful.

It's not like someone is going to drag you from your cabin and make you participate, but at least try joining a roll call once and see if you like it and the difference it makes in your cruise!

There are several roll calls for Alaskan cruises that have very little participation. Is there something about cruises to Alaska or summer Alaskan cruises that draws people less likely to participate in a roll call?

always feel the need to talk to those I know when I see them LOL

I just say "hi" to the person as I walk by, unless I really have something to talk to them about. That way I can be as vegged as I want yet still have the pleasure of seeing a recognizable face on a full ship.

But I did hear we get pins??? LOL

Yep! You get them at the Cruise Critics Connections party!

Carmen, you made me laugh out loud with the mental images I got of cruise critic roll callers going door to door, pulling people out of their cabins and MAKING them participate!! Best laugh I've had today! Thanks!:D

This is a great thread, Tuggers! We are people who mainly keep to ourselves, but we attended the Cruise Critic meeting on Constellation for our last cruise. And,as other posters have noted, it was really nice to be able to say "Hi," to recognizable faces later in the cruise. We have signed up for our next one on Constellation, again, in November:). Now, can someone tell me: Is the Roll Call just a series of threads for particular cruised, (which I have used), or is there more to it?

There are several roll calls for Alaskan cruises that have very little participation. Is there something about cruises to Alaska or summer Alaskan cruises that draws people less likely to participate in a roll call?

Could it be that the demographics are tilted more to an age group that doesnt "chat" online? I've always heard that the average age on HAL goes down for Alaska, but I've heard nothing about other lines. Could it also be that Alaska is a high-profile cruise - meaning that some who would not normally consider cruising for vacationing would do so for a destinations such as Alaska? I'm speculating out loud, but feel free to chime in.

Gail - glad I could make you laugh. Seems only fair since your reviews have given me tons of smiles and laughter!

Bruin Steve posted:

"Lots of great reasons to join the roll calls:

--Other members will help alert you on price drops, itinerary changes, etc.

--Others may have great suggestions on port tours and activities

--Great place to find people to share private tours

--Great way to be involved during the long wait until the cruise

--Just fun talking to others with something in common...whether you end up hanging with them on the ship, meeting with them only briefly or not even connecting at all during the cruise..."

I agree. I found out about two price drops last fall that I would never have known had I not been on the roll call.

I've also discovered how great private tours are and how easy to get a group together.

It's a way to even arrange a pre-cruise meeting in a port city.

And, an unexpected added benefit for me last fall was that DH got sick and couldn't go with me for our long anticipated transatlantic. He had to be in a nursing home for a couple of months, so with his blessings I went alone. But I wasn't alone because of all the new friends I'd met on the Roll Call. I like my personal space so could have it when I needed it but also knew if I wandered the ship I'd find someone to have lunch with or to talk to.

We also have an active roll call for our October 2007 cruise which is going well.

Having said that, not all roll calls are created equal, and some never seem to catch on. That's life I guess.

I have joined each roll call since I learned of this great forum.

However - the first party we signed up for was at the same time as a computer class I signed up for :mad: - so we missed.

The next one - our roll call was hijacked by something nefarious - kept chatting on the roll call - but avoided the party - just was WIERD -

This time - I intend to be there with bells on - and am not signing up for any computer classes.

But I am also in a roll call for my Royal Caribbean cruise - and there are 4 of us. I keep pictureing the 4 of us on an empty ship :eek:

more champagne for me :D

Joining and participating in a roll-call is very rewarding. The information and knowledge one gains from other individuals on our sailings has made our journey all that more pleasurable. We are blessed to have the opportunity to share information with each other--most of us strangers until we meet in person on our sailing.

You can plan, participate, meet and greet and do whatever your heart desires with absolutely no pressure.

Our lives have been rewarded and we feel blessed to meet as strangers and part as friends.

Sandy

On our Nov 3rd cruise on the NCL Spirit, we have 93 people on the rollcall and still have 6 months to go. We will comprise about 4% of the passengers onboard. I have setup two meet and greets for us along with making a t-shirt because the cruise is a unique 15 day/8 port repositioning from New York to New Orleans.

It is great to be able to chat with people before going plus I enjoy helping others.

Dave

Roll Calls are also great if you have kids! My 10 yr old daughter now has a new pen pal thanks to our roll call. We're booked on a Med cruise in Aug. and I found a family from the UK (we live in So. Cal.) that will be on our cruise who also have a 10 yr old daughter, now the kids email each other regularly and can't wait to meet up on our vacation.

Also, it's like everyone's already said, we have managed to arrange transportation from Rome to the port with another family and will save considerable $$.

My wife is not really into cc roll calls or cc for that matter, but I get kind of addicted to it. There's so much great info that you all share so willingly. And Tugger's, I loved reading your about your latest trip, you seem to love life, and live it to the fullest, good for you.:D

Ron

I've only been on 3 or 4 cruises. While I recognize the 'cliques', I have never found anyone to be exclusionary. Everyone seems friendly and willing to constribute what they know. There usually is a host/ess that keeps track of all the people on the Roll Call. Did anyone mention that we have a complementary party if at least 25 people sign up? I like meeting the people I've 'chatted' with, though not good on keeping in touch afterwords. The advice and information you get from these Roll Calls (and peeking at others) is invaluable.

I'm chiming in to encourage anyone who does not participate to come join us. Even if you don't want to "chat", read the postings for information and ideas.

nlvc12

Hello Cruisers:

I think the best way to make the roll calls more attractive to people who aren't quite sure is to enthusiastically welcome all newcomers. As far as people feeling overwhelmed by activities, I think those who have shared previously have nailed it. Participate in the roll calls, events, get togethers, parties and excursions as much as you wish. No more, no less. Remember: It's your vacation -- so enjoy yourself.

What's great about the roll calls is the opportunity to make new friends or talk with existing friends before you all meet on the cruise. If you happen to walk into breakfast or lunch and you don't want to sit alone, you can join some of your newly acquired friends. If you walk into one of the lounges or the theatre and you would like to share the experience with others, you already have friends you can join.

Finally, after the cruise is over you get the opportunity to continue to converse with your new friends on the existing roll call. It doesn't just go away and leave you stranded. It's been nearly a month since our cruise ended and it's still great to be communicating with the people we met onboard. Some are already planning their next cruise, and others have joined them, while some of us are still dreaming and just sharing in the thrill vicariously.

Bob

Thank you, Gail, for starting this thread. And thanks to those who have mentioned why you do join roll calls and attend CC parties. It'll give me some food for thought.

While I participate in roll calls for each of the cruises I've been on in the recent past, I will not be participating in any CC parties. Previously, it was because I'm very shy. This past cruise I was on was particularly eye-opening, probably because of the age group of the cruisers.

• The infirm picked on those who were even more infirmed (pushing, shoving, baseless name calling, closing elevator doors before someone with a guide stick could get to the elevators in the 3 steps it would have taken him! One cursed at me when I held the door for another fellow cruiser in a walker!)
  • Those elderly people complaining about those who brought their kids on board, even though none of the kids made a peep worth mentioning. And then they had the gaul to turn around and mention how cute and quiet their kids were before muttering under their breath how irresponsible it was to bring children of any age on board!
  • cruisers who cut everyone on line to get at the food. Particularly at the waffle station. Wait your turn! I waited mine!
  • discrimination based on physical limitations. Many of the comments I heard made me cringe and my hair stand on end! As if either people deliberately look to be physically disabled for "special" treatment (I asked, there is none), or those disabilities were like airborne diseases and would be transmitted in the confines of an elevator. And who said the disabled couldn't vacation on a cruise? Cruising is supposed to be laid back, especially when there are 9 sea days scheduled. I actually saw one woman jump out of the elevator after seeing a disabled person already there!

It would disappoint me tremendously if I found out those I have been on these boards with were amongst this special group of curmudgeons, so I'd rather keep my innocence about everyone here and avoid the cruise parties. Maybe my impressions will change sometime during this next year as I gear up for my next cruise and attend. But for now, no thanks. I will remain a lurker.

My apologies if I've offended anyone here. You're all a very nice and informative group, and I enjoy coming here to seek/give info where I can.

mcnyc,

My gosh, if I was on a cruise with people like that I probably would jump overboard! Sad, strange, weird and all those words.

I have been to WAY too many of the CC Parties and I can tell you that the vast majority of the people on these boards, in person, are nice, calm and courteous. Oh, there's been one (or three!:) ) who aren't so nice, but basically I've found it to be a good group.

Maybe you'll decide to participate one day and if you do, I hope it's a good party where someone get's things going and there's a fun icebreaker. The parties can be great or a snooze. It just all depends.

Tuggers, if you were going to be on one of the cruises I'm going on, then I'd seriously reconsider my current line of thinking and attend. Until then, I will remain cautious.

Anyway, I never say never. I may show up one day to a CC party! But I will always participate in a roll call.

The next one - our roll call was hijacked by something nefarious - kept chatting on the roll call - but avoided the party - just was WIERD -

We did the same thing. . .that roll call was waaaaay too wierd!:eek: Enjoyed our last roll call and Cruise Connection party, however. It was friendly, normal, and fun.:D

• 1 month later...

It depends. There are many 7-day cruises to Alaska, especially the ones that are round-trip Seattle or Vancouver, that have affinity groups booked on them, sometimes extremely large groups. They may not know (or care) about Cruise Critic. Many of these groups are booked on HAL, though other lines have large groups, too. I try my best to learn whether there is a large group that plans to be on my cruise, and I cancel if I find out there is one that will take over several public venues, will dine together as a large group, etc.

Of course, it is not just Alaskan cruises, there are many large groups in the Caribbean and groups that cruise all over the world, such as medical and financial groups, often on Crystal.

There was a woman who used to post all the groups on HAL cruises, but I think she gave it up, since it became so time-consuming.

Archived