Will I have a problem?

Sandi149

No, you won't have any problems. Before I got a passport, my maiden name was on my birth certificate, my driver's license had my married name and I booked with my married name. Never had a problem. (But NOW in NC, when you renew, your maiden name is also on your driver's license!)

unless, you are ,planning to rent a car, there is no reason to take your drivers license if you are taking your passport.

Nope....not renting a car. Glad to know that I won't have a problem.

thanks everybody. :D

Use your passport as your ID as it matches your cruise documents.

You don't need a drivers license - you only need to show your passport when boarding - the passport overrides your drivers license for travel - unless you are renting a car.

On some ships you need your sign 'n sail card (ship's ID) and another form of ID to get back on the ship. We never take our passports ashore, always just our driver's license. Driver's license has our picture on it so security can see we match it plus, ship's ID and hence, never had a problem.

I agree with Bonnie J. Lock your passport in your safe, do not take it on shore...take your driver's liscence for the picture ID. You also may need that if you charge something off the ship.

Don't forget to have a photo copy of your passport to leave at home and it might be a good idea to have a copy in your billfold in case of a worst case sinerio, you got left behind in a port:eek:

I agree with Bonnie J. Lock your passport in your safe, do not take it on shore...take your driver's liscence for the picture ID. You also may need that if you charge something off the ship.

Don't forget to have a photo copy of your passport to leave at home and it might be a good idea to have a copy in your billfold in case of a worst case sinerio, you got left behind in a port:eek:

Why do you say to leave the passport on the ship? Don't I need it in the British Virgin Islands? I always thought we had to carry it around wherever we go? When I was in Europe I always had it on me.

Why do you say to leave the passport on the ship? Don't I need it in the British Virgin Islands? I always thought we had to carry it around wherever we go? When I was in Europe I always had it on me.

If you feel like you need to carry your passport on shore with you, make a copy and take the copy and leave the original one in the ship's safe. You never know if you could have your purse stolen and then you would have a hard time getting a replacement passport.

If you feel like you need to carry your passport on shore with you, make a copy and take the copy and leave the original one in the ship's safe. You never know if you could have your purse stolen and then you would have a hard time getting a replacement passport.

Ok....worst case scenario......in Tortola, ship leaves without us,:eek: how do we get back into the states without the passport and just a copy?

The copy of the passport will help expedite the process of getting a replacement, or they may just allow you to have the copy (I'm not sure about that).

There is debate whether or not to carry it along. We never have, we feel that theft is a far greater possibility than us missing the ship. I'm married to a man who wants to be back onboard 2 hours prior to sailaway, we never do late excursions. If we were to take an excursion that would put us at risk, it would have to be a ship sponsored excursion.

Others feel that they must have it on their person at all times when they travel.

I feel that carrying "stuff" with you marks you as a target, even if that backpack only contains beach towels and sunscreen.

I still take my drivers license along, it's the same size as the seapass card and there are times when the ship wants to see a photo ID along with your seapass card to re-board.

The copy of the passport will help expedite the process of getting a replacement, or they may just allow you to have the copy (I'm not sure about that).

There is debate whether or not to carry it along. We never have, we feel that theft is a far greater possibility than us missing the ship. I'm married to a man who wants to be back onboard 2 hours prior to sailaway, we never do late excursions. If we were to take an excursion that would put us at risk, it would have to be a ship sponsored excursion.

Others feel that they must have it on their person at all times when they travel.

I feel that carrying "stuff" with you marks you as a target, even if that backpack only contains beach towels and sunscreen.

I still take my drivers license along, it's the same size as the seapass card and there are times when the ship wants to see a photo ID along with your seapass card to re-board.

I know there is a debate here about whether to carry it with you or not. I just don't know what to do. In San Juan and St. Thomas I'm not going to take it but in Tortola I'm still undecided. I will, however, make photo copies like everyone suggested. In Tortola we are doing the ships excursion and it is supposed to get back about an hour and a half before departure.

Thanks. :)

Archived