Can anyone describe sailaway on the Crown out of NY

crissyp

Hi.... 62 days to go, and my mind is beginning to float away with all the anticpation of our upcoming cruise.

Can anyone describe what the sail away will be like on the Crown leaving New York. Is there music, horns blowing, lively celebrations on deck???

What to you think is the best place to experience all of this. We have an aft balcony starboard, but I think I'd rather be up on deck. This is only my 2nd cruise....1st on on Disney, and it was very Disney themed for sailaway.

Does Princess do anything special????

thanks,

Crissy:D

Crown 7/5/07

Hi.... 62 days to go, and my mind is beginning to float away with all the anticpation of our upcoming cruise.

Can anyone describe what the sail away will be like on the Crown leaving New York. Is there music, horns blowing, lively celebrations on deck???

What to you think is the best place to experience all of this. We have an aft balcony starboard, but I think I'd rather be up on deck. This is only my 2nd cruise....1st on on Disney, and it was very Disney themed for sailaway.

thanks,

Crown 7/5/07

We have sailed out of New York twice on the Crown, Starboard side balcony would be a great place also, I liked sitting near the aft Terrace Pool. The views are tremendous. Alot of people also like the Lido deck forward above the bridge. There is a sailaway aprty near the main pools with music etc.

Can't answer yet, you will be leaving before us. Hope it's not to noisy for some people! You could always use your walkie talkies to converse and see which is better, upper deck or aft cabin!:D :D :D LOL. Your last thread brought some many response I couldn't help but tease you!

Enjoy your cruise!

ck....I"m sitting here laughing my a--s off right now!! Thanks for making my day:D WOw.. So many different opinions, gotta love it!!

But I like the idea of conversing with the walkie talkies to find a nice place on the ship for sailaway;)

Still laughing!:D

My daughter has an aft cabin and we have a aft side w/ extended balcony on the port side. They say starboard side has a better view. I think we will go up top, we always have. Being w/ a huge group, music and all just seems to add to the mood. Also, going under the bridge is really cool from the pool deck. You might not get that effect from seeing it from your balcony if it has any covering.

Write a review when you come back!

WE were on the Crown 2 night inaugural sailing 1 year ago. I must say that it was the best send off I've ever been on. As we sailed away, they broadcast "New York , New York", sung by Frank Sinatra. As we passed the Statue of Liberty, they played "God Bless the USA". It brought tears to everyone's eyes....Then the captain turned the ship around so that everyone could see the Statue of Liberty lit up..(it was night time), THEN....they set off fireworks over the Statue of Liberty. It was the BEST!!! Now, if they can only do that all the time....:D And the ship is gorgeous!! I can't wait to get back on ....

We had a unique sailaway - we were on the Crown last summer that had the incorrect and/or not enough....fuel delivered. We were able to watch a great lightening store go from one end of Manhatten to the other. It was amazing. We didn't sail out until about 1:00 a.m. (if I remember correctly), we went out to our balcony to watch the ship go under the V..something bridge. It was great. I know the locals were upset but for us visiting for the first time, it was a wonderful view of a skyline we had only dreamed of seeing.

We loved the Crown and our visit to NYC (we stayed 1 night pre and 3 nights post cruise) - hoping to go back again soon.

We are leaving in under 45 days now and let me tell you (the OP) the anticipation gets worse . . . and I'm not that much before you! LOL!

We have a Caribe Starboard side balcony, but I'm betting we'll be way up top to see it all and digest it all!

Right now we are living, eating and breathing everything cruise-related!! I'm sure my co-workers are getting sick of it already, but frankly tough on them! LOL

Anyway, have a great cruise!

:)

thanks,

Crown 7/5/07

We were on the Crown in Oct. (going back last week in August). For sailaway we went to the pool area where they show MUTS and went to the highest level. This is between the middle and the back of the ship. They do play music, there is a sailaway party on deck near the other pool, and it's really amazing as the ship sails under the Verazzano Narrows Bridge. As you approach it you think it can't possibly fit underneath, but it does, and everyone on the ship cheers and applauds as it does so. It's a great experience!:)

Sharon H.

WE were on the Crown 2 night inaugural sailing 1 year ago. I must say that it was the best send off I've ever been on. As we sailed away, they broadcast "New York , New York", sung by Frank Sinatra. As we passed the Statue of Liberty, they played "God Bless the USA". It brought tears to everyone's eyes....Then the captain turned the ship around so that everyone could see the Statue of Liberty lit up..(it was night time), THEN....they set off fireworks over the Statue of Liberty. It was the BEST!!! Now, if they can only do that all the time....:D And the ship is gorgeous!! I can't wait to get back on ....

Don't expect firworks and all the hoopla of an inaugural cruise. But sailing out of NYC is very unique.

There is a sailaway party by the pool with the ususal music and dancing.Last fall when I sailed on the Crown, the cruise staff handed out raffle tickets during the sailaway party to folks that were dancing. They later gave away some pretty good prizes such as spa treatments, shore excursions, etc.

But whatever you do, be on the starboard side as you pass the Statue of Liberty. It is really a beautiful sight. Don't miss it.

Then make sure you're on the top deck as you sail under the Verranzano.

As bythehex said, you think you can't possibly squeeze under that bridge. It really is a terrific experiece.

I've sailed out of NYC probably about 10-12 times and it never gets old.

There's something magical about sailing out of NYC! If you haven't done it, you need to do it at least once......doing it again next year. I really "Love New York":)

Gosh, I forgot, I'm doing it this year on Carnival........

thanks,

Crown 7/5/07

Being you're from NY, you know quite well how the Statue of Liberty and Verranzano Bridge look likes from different angles while in NYC...But, you have never seen them in this kind of view....You will be in ahhh.....It is truly a great experience....Try to get a good spot early....We had bumper-2-bumper people hard to see the lady over other people's heads....

Loved sailing the Crown last year. Sorry to hear that the CB is taken it's place....(CB is a very nice ship don't get me wrong) But the Crown...:p :)

Enjoy your cruise....

Sounds wonderful sailing out of NYC! We booked Starbaord side balcony because of the Statue of Liberty view but now being on a pool/top deck sounds too fun to miss. Does anyone know timing for passing under the bridge and passing Lady Liberty? Is there time to have the fun on deck, see the bridge and then go back to our room in time to see the the Statue?

For fun, spend part of the sailaway on the open deck above the bridge. To get there, go to the Lido deck and walk all the way forward. There are two doors to go through (be careful ... you might walk right past them) and you'll be out on the platform. Great for taking sailaway pics as well as pics when you're entering and leaving ports. Many of your fellow cruisers will spend nine days trying to figure out how you got out there.

u see the statue as soon as u shove off. the bridge is the exit from the harbor. once u go under the bridge all u see is the nj coastline on one side and coney island on the other. once ur under that bridge, ur dermuda bound:) but yea u can clearly see the statue from the port while the ship is still docked. thats the one down side to dcking in brooklyn, u miss the sail down the river and the skyline views:(

We sailed last Sept. and started Sailaway by the pools and the party. It was an awesome view of The Statue of Liberty. We then went to our balcony as we went under the Verranzano. Next time I would consider getting all the way up on top of Skywalkers where the mini golf and jogging track are. To this day, I wonder what the clearance was as we passed under the bridge. Enjoy and I hope you make Bermuda. We didn't, a hurricane dropped by the same day!!!! :eek:

We sailed last Sept. and started Sailaway by the pools and the party. It was an awesome view of The Statue of Liberty. We then went to our balcony as we went under the Verranzano. Next time I would consider getting all the way up on top of Skywalkers where the mini golf and jogging track are. To this day, I wonder what the clearance was as we passed under the bridge. Enjoy and I hope you make Bermuda. We didn't, a hurricane dropped by the same day!!!! :eek:

We were eating Lobster claws in the HC on the Crown the last time we passed under the Verrazano. :D

The crew slips the lines, the captain sounds the horn and navigates using the thrusters and props, and the ship glides away from the dock!

Sorry, couldn't resist! I think arrival in the morning is better than sailing out. The NYC summertime air is often laden with humidity and particulates (read that pollution, NOx etc) that can heavily obscure the Statue. We could barely make it out last August on departure, but the arrival in the morning is another story. Clear air, and the warm color of the morning sun lights up the old girl in a way that is breathtaking. Then, the Staten Island ferries are already painted orange, and the morning sun makes them ablaze with color. As the sun comes up it glints off the buildings in lower Manhattan, and the entire spectacle is a once in a lifetime experience (that is provided its sunny and not cloudy, and that you don't sail out of Brooklyn again).

u see the statue as soon as u shove off. the bridge is the exit from the harbor. once u go under the bridge all u see is the nj coastline on one side and coney island on the other. once ur under that bridge, ur dermuda bound:) but yea u can clearly see the statue from the port while the ship is still docked. thats the one down side to dcking in brooklyn, u miss the sail down the river and the skyline views:(

Was on the Crown last October, fortunately in a starboard side balcony stateroom. The WOW! factor when I opened the drapes was incredible -- although The Lady wasn't as close as she seemed in the Crown's bridge cam. You're gonna need a BIG zoom lens to see her (technically, she's "in view" all the time you're in port) -- otherwise she'll just appear as a tiny little blip way, way off in the distance. Because an October late afternoon/early evening sailaway out of NYC can be a bit -- chilly, I toasted The Lady, and The Bridge, and sailaway and the start of a great cruise from the comfort and protection of my balcony -- although there were a lot of people on the deck above the bridge. Almost as soon as we magigcally cleared the V-N bridge (great cell phone camera video shots of the understructure!) it got a bit choppy for the next 2 days :eek: (capt. called it "lumpy" -- new nautical term!). All in all -- Great trip/great ship! You're gonna love it (as I will, again, in October!!!):D

Archived