Denali: tundra tour or shuttle bus with kids?

Sisa

Hi,

Thanks to CC, I now know not to take the NH tour offered through Princess. I'm not sure what to do instead. It will be me, my husband, and my 2 girls, ages 10 and 8. They are well-behaved, but unlikely to be happy for hours on end on a bus. Would we be better off taking the tundra wilderness tour, or the shuttle bus? I have read that when you take the TW tour, you aren't allowed to get off the bus at all? If we do take the shuttle bus, how far should we go?

I would be grateful for your suggestions!

Definately take a shuttle bus, the kids are FREE!!! I would consider with their ages, Toklat, same as the Tundra Wilderness tour. Ideally, if you think they can manage it- Fish Creek. Rest stops are every 90 minutes, but the Tundra Wildereness buses do NOT allow you to change buses if you want to do some hiking. You have to stay with your bus, or if you get all the way to the farthest point, you can ditch the bus and then just take a shuttle bus back, walk to the side of the road for any returning shuttle bus and get on. :)

Key for the kids enjoyment- involve them. Let them see a map, research a little bit about the areas and names of the areas/campgrounds etc. Have them practice using binoculars, learn about the different animals possible to see and where. With this prior information, nothing is better when it comes alive for them with recognition. :) Bring triple the games, DVD's, batteries, and HEADPHONES that you think you will need. There can be a lot of "down time" and usually kids aren't too interested in scenery- another reason to give them some homework, finding out about the different areas. :)

http://www.nps.gov/dena

Thanks everybody for your suggestions and help. I will go ahead with the shuttle bus, and finally save a little money (all my other plans seems to lead to me spending more and more!)

Budget Queen, you are amazingly helpful. I notice your multitude of postings, and deep knowlege of Alaska. Are you from Alaska? How did you become so devoted and diligent about helping us fellow travelers?

I hope you don't mind my asking!

Thanks everybody for your suggestions and help. I will go ahead with the shuttle bus, and finally save a little money (all my other plans seems to lead to me spending more and more!)

Budget Queen, you are amazingly helpful. I notice your multitude of postings, and deep knowlege of Alaska. Are you from Alaska? How did you become so devoted and diligent about helping us fellow travelers?

I hope you don't mind my asking!

No, I live in New York. :) My first trip was in 1994, supposed to be my "one time trip". Now 23 trips later, and my next Alaska cruise 5-13, with a second 7-22.

My forte is independent touring. I believe I have a good grip on some Alaska traveling ideas, and only hope to help other's have wonderful trips. :)

I sincerely wish you an excellent trip!!!

Check at the Visitor's Center or Access Ctr for the Jr. Ranger activity book. We were kept busy looking for different animals and plants as well as other activities. After completing the activities, we returned to the visitor's center the next day to get the Jr. Ranger badge.

Thanks for your response, Budget Queen.

I guess there's hope for all of us if a nice girl from New York grows to be the resident expert on Alaska :).

Thanks again for all your help, in this thread, and for several in the past!

Archived