Cruising on New Year's Eve?

makeup face

I will be cruising on New Year's Eve. For those who have cruised during that time could you tell me if Princess did anything special for the evening. Was it like a formal night.....do they have a big party in the atrium or what? I like to get dressed up...so if there would be three "formal" nights......I'd be happy:D

Yes, it was a big deal. We were on an 11-day cruise and NYE became a third formal night. The Black and White Ball took place in the atrium. There were also parties going on on the Sun Deck and in several other locations.

We spent last New Year's Eve on the Golden Princess. It was formal night and there was a huge party in the Atrium with a balloon fall, champagne and all kinds of party accessories. There were also parties all over the ship. This was our first New Year's Eve cruise and we had a blast. There was a special menu for dinner as well as a New Year's Day brunch the next day. I highly recommend it!!

Was on the Island Princess Dec. 2005/Jan. 2006 for the holidays. NYE was a formal night. Each place setting at dinner had a party hat, blower. There were parties galore, but not free champagne. Two balloon drops at midnight. The Patters listed a celebration for those who wanted to celebrate the British NY (the afternoon of the 31st), but I didn't check that out.

The next morning was very quiet.

Was on the Island Princess Dec. 2005/Jan. 2006 for the holidays. NYE was a formal night. Each place setting at dinner had a party hat' date=' blower. There were parties galore, but not free champagne. Two balloon drops at midnight. The Patters listed a celebration for those who wanted to celebrate the British NY (the afternoon of the 31st), but I didn't check that out.

The next morning was very quiet.[/quote']

They did have a nice brunch the next morning. It went until something like 2pm. As far as NYE I've done 2 of them with Princess so far and they've both had several nice parties throughout the ship and the balloon countdown in the atrium. Right now I am trying to decide if it's worth the almost 100% premium to do it again this year.

On the Island Princess, we were at the balloon drop in the Grand Atrium and for some weird reason, when the balloons were dropped, people on the ground floor were popping them like crazy. Suziehmkr (Tina) said it was because a rumor happened that there was money hidden in one balloon. I went down to that level and rescued a unpopped balloon and gave to our girl.

Before midnight, we made the rounds of the different parties. Different types of music. We ended up in the Wheelhouse bar and listened to jazz but unfortunately there wasn't enough chairs (or there were smokers where there were available chairs). The Explorers Lounge had rock music but looked really smokey so we skipped that one.

They did have a nice brunch the next morning. It went until something like 2pm. As far as NYE I've done 2 of them with Princess so far and they've both had several nice parties throughout the ship and the balloon countdown in the atrium. Right now I am trying to decide if it's worth the almost 100% premium to do it again this year.

We lucked out last year and got a great price with a pre-cruise in New Orleans. I've been watching the fares to see if they will go down this year.

Oh goody.....I'm soooooo excited:D :D NYE is a day at sea....so I told my sister...she'll have to take a nap..or two.... so we can stay up at least until 2:00-2:30. We'll also be celebrating her 55th BD on the 3rd of January. We have lots of partying to do in 10 days.

Thank you for all the information especially the information about the brunch....I had no idea. Is brunch in the Horizon Court? On New Year's day we'll be in Costa Rica for 12 hours. I hope to book an afternoon excursion to somewhere so I won't have to get up early and I can enjoy the brunch....then check out Costa Rica

You guys are great...thanks again;)

On the Island Princess' date=' we were at the balloon drop in the Grand Atrium and for some weird reason, when the balloons were dropped, people on the ground floor were popping them like crazy. Suziehmkr (Tina) said it was because a rumor happened that there was money hidden in one balloon. I went down to that level and rescued a unpopped balloon and gave to our girl.

Before midnight, we made the rounds of the different parties. Different types of music. We ended up in the Wheelhouse bar and listened to jazz but unfortunately there wasn't enough chairs (or there were smokers where there were available chairs). The Explorers Lounge had rock music but looked really smokey so we skipped that one.[/quote']

WOW...that's too funny:D :D

We have been on 2 New Years Eve cruises. It was on formal night and very nice. More formal then normal. We would do it again in a heart beat. We had a special menu for New Years Eve.

Oh goody.....I'm soooooo excited:D :D NYE is a day at sea....so I told my sister...she'll have to take a nap..or two.... so we can stay up at least until 2:00-2:30. We'll also be celebrating her 55th BD on the 3rd of January. We have lots of partying to do in 10 days.

Thank you for all the information especially the information about the brunch....I had no idea. Is brunch in the Horizon Court? On New Year's day we'll be in Costa Rica for 12 hours. I hope to book an afternoon excursion to somewhere so I won't have to get up early and I can enjoy the brunch....then check out Costa Rica

You guys are great...thanks again;)

On both cruises we did they had a special menu in the dining room for the brunch. If I remember correctly it went from something like 10am to 2pm and had some darn good food! One warning though. On the Island they came around with a bottle of champagne at the brunch and those who said yes they wanted a glass got charged for it and the people at our table who took some had assumed it was free when offered. I don't drink champagne so did not get caught.

I've been wondering if there will be the regular two formal night plus NYE ...totally three formal nights. On our 10 day NYE is in the middle of the cruise. Anyway....I'm looking forward to it:D
On our New Year's cruise on the Grand Princess they hadn't announced New Year's Eve as formal until after we asked the cruise director about it - "is NYE formal - and wouldn't it be a good idea?"

I would say count on it being formal. There were at least three major parties - including the on-deck MUTS count-down.

Hi There,

Would love to tell you about the New Years party etc onboard the Sun last year, but can not had a great day, meal etc went back to cabin and sat down and fell asleep, by the time I woke up its was 2007, but I was still happy to have had a great day.

yours Shogun

Hi There,

Would love to tell you about the New Years party etc onboard the Sun last year, but can not had a great day, meal etc went back to cabin and sat down and fell asleep, by the time I woke up its was 2007, but I was still happy to have had a great day.

yours Shogun

See....that's why I'm "making" my sister take a nap. I could see her doing something like you:D :D

On both cruises we did they had a special menu in the dining room for the brunch. If I remember correctly it went from something like 10am to 2pm and had some darn good food! One warning though. On the Island they came around with a bottle of champagne at the brunch and those who said yes they wanted a glass got charged for it and the people at our table who took some had assumed it was free when offered. I don't drink champagne so did not get caught.

I'll be on the Island so...thanks for the heads-up on the champagne. I would be one of those who said YES!!!:eek: I can taste that brunch now;)

Well....I'm thinking I'll bring three formal outfits...hoping for three formal nights:D

I will be cruising on New Year's Eve. For those who have cruised during that time could you tell me if Princess did anything special for the evening. Was it like a formal night.....do they have a big party in the atrium or what? I like to get dressed up...so if there would be three "formal" nights......I'd be happy:D

We were on the Coral Princess for New Year's this year. One of the formal nights was New Years. They replaced the normal one with this. It was a lot of fun. They had parties in the lounges and up at the pool. We stayed in the lounge because the weather wasn't the best up by the pool. They give you hats, streamers and noisemakers. It's a real party atmosphere. They did the countdown and everyone was hugging and kissing everyone else even though you didn't know them. The parties all started around 10:00. It was the best New Year's Eve we have spent in a long time.

I'll be on the Island so...thanks for the heads-up on the champagne. I would be one of those who said YES!!!:eek: I can taste that brunch now;)

I would ask when they offer. I would hate for you to miss out if they are NOT charging this year.

We were on the Coral Princess for New Year's this year. One of the formal nights was New Years. They replaced the normal one with this. It was a lot of fun. They had parties in the lounges and up at the pool. We stayed in the lounge because the weather wasn't the best up by the pool. They give you hats, streamers and noisemakers. It's a real party atmosphere. They did the countdown and everyone was hugging and kissing everyone else even though you didn't know them. The parties all started around 10:00. It was the best New Year's Eve we have spent in a long time.

Wow...partying by the pool. I hope it will be warm enough:D

Archived