Question about items you can take aboard a plane...

Okay, I know about the liquid restrictions, but has anyone had any trouble taking a regular size deodorant solid bar (as in not the gel or spray kind) onboard a plane in your carry-on? I mean it's solid...but I didn't know if they don't let you because of the possibility of putting liquid in it somehow. I don't know if I'm making sense. LOL I just want to be able to only take a carry-on bag when flying out to get on the Liberty. I'm sure everyone else onboard will be thankful if I wear the deodorant.

You should check the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) website for a complete list of permitted and prohibited items. Some things you might think are okay to take are not. Other prohibited items are obvious, and some are even weird. Example - you can wear a bra with gel padding, but you can't wear gel insoles in your shoes?

A note for all you smokers out there - lighters are prohibited items on planes and cruise ship shops no longer carry them for sale. So bring regular matches (allowed two books per person) and buy a lighter before getting on the ship if your first day is a "at sea" day. An alternative is buying a DOT approved case to store your lighter in your checked baggage.

i am NOT advocating breaking the law as i went to a lot of trouble to be sure i was complying with the 3-1-1 rule, however:

I just went through security twice returning from my Empress OTS cruise, both times a lighter in my carryon made it through and 1 time i was not even asked to present my baggie of liquids.

i am NOT advocating breaking the law as i went to a lot of trouble to be sure i was complying with the 3-1-1 rule, however:

I just went through security twice returning from my Empress OTS cruise, both times a lighter in my carryon made it through and 1 time i was not even asked to present my baggie of liquids.

I think it all depends on the airport. In both ISP and FLL they were very strict last month but in JFK of all places they weren't as thorough as the two smaller ones.

I think it all depends on the airport. In both ISP and FLL they were very strict last month but in JFK of all places they weren't as thorough as the two smaller ones.

I totally agree, it really depends on the airport. My husband travels for business. He has been able to bring a small swiss army knife with him through Boston security twice, was stopped there once. Both times he made it through Boston, it was found when he was making a connection in Denver. Yes, he knows he isn't supposed to carry it, and yes he flew more than 100k miles on United last year and should know better. He is an Eagle scout and lives by the motto "be prepared". So now when he leaves, it is bye, love you, did you take your knife out of your pocket?:D

Thank you for your answers. Perhaps I will go out and get that smaller size just to be sure. I tried looking for it on the TSA sight, but here at work it's hard to concentrate on maneuvering through it.

I think I would go and get a smaller deodorant. All it really says is that it is allowed if it is less than 3 oz.

Here is a link that tells if certain items are allowed.

If I'm reading it right you can bring cork screws on board? I would consider that a weapon more than I would liquid.

Makes no sense to me!

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

If corkscrews seem "screwy" as permitted in carry-ons, the last time I checked, the TSA was allowing KNITTING NEEDLES on board.

They think a mascara wand is a more deadly weapon than a knitting needle that could conceivably skewer a person. It makes me feel so much safer. :rolleyes:

Deodorants made of gel or aerosol are permitted in 3 oz or less containers. It mentions nothing about the solids, so I'll assume it's a go. :)

Hey Erin I work for United and I travel A LOT and I can assure you solid deoderant is just fine. That's the kind I have also. The 3oz. rule only applies to anything in liquid form. Hope that helps. The TSA website is pretty helpful though.

Other prohibited items are obvious, and some are even weird. Example - you can wear a bra with gel padding, but you can't wear gel insoles in your shoes?

This actually makes sense to me because while the gel insoles in the shoes are just for comfort the gel padding in the bra may be a prostetic breast because of a mastectomy.

• 2 months later...

Archived