ALASKA - What Time of the Year to Go?

ChevyCruiser

Been thinking of cruising to Alaska sometime next year or the year after. We can go anytime, so what are the pros and cons of going early, middle, or late in the season. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your input!

There are several different things to consider.

May - usually less expensive, but could be cooler

June & July - prime season. Longest daylight June 21. Big crowds. Usually pretty nice weather.

August - a lot like June & July. This is the time to go to see the bears fishing for salmon.

September - see May

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. There are no guarantees for weather. 2 years ago they had 80's in May. We went in July and could have worn shorts several days. Some people used the outside pool frequently.Which ever you choose, you will love it. I was totally blown away by the whole atmosphere!!

you can go to the alaska boards and just read...don't even have to post:rolleyes:

that question will be answered about 3 or 4 times a week.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

for me the best time to go was when it worked for DH's work. we ended up going in sept. had great weather on sea days, rain in juneau and ketchikan. didn't bother us, we were prepared...rain poncho.

as my dear dad used to say "you aren't made of sugar, you won't melt".

alaska is beautiful any time. it was cheaper in may and sept, but i am not sure that's the case this year..so many people are going during those time.

I remember reading a poorly-researched novel once where someone surprised their parents with an Alaska cruise.... for New Years Eve! That would probably NOT be a good time, even if you could find a boat to take you.

My Alaska experience was in late September and it was beautiful fall weather.

Viv

There are certain things you can only see in September, but cant remember what. Some wait until mid September to go.

Days are longer in late July and August, very very long so those prices will be very expensive. Of course its also warmer then too.

Lots of bargains this year, I think due to the extra $50 pp tax Alaska added onto cruises some folks are boycotting Alaska this year they said.

If you look at cruise prices, they pretty much tell the tale. I recall prices going up $50 a week every week unti mid-July, then falling again through the fall. The closer to July you go, the higher temperatures may be. Myself, I went the first week of June, which I felt was a happy medium between price and weather. We had sunshine every day, and temperatures reaching 75 to 80. The weather is unpredictable though, I'm sure others paid a July premium and had less pleasant weather.

See, I read conflicting stuff to what's already been posted.

I guess the biggest thing to know is that you have to be prepared to enjoy your vacation despite the rain b/c it could rain the entire time or none at all. Just mentally prepare yourself for it.

If money is an issue, try one of the should season cruises (May/Sept) and keep a look out for Senior discounts if it applies to you. There were several this year for my mom so we saved a lot of money.

Plus there were lots of last minute deals for my cruise. It was up for Happy Hour bookings last week where you could get the same rate as a Senior (which in the case of a balcony room was $700 pp less).

I have been 3 times - all in July and August and the weather was magnificent - warm - wore shorts in several ports - but of course very cold in the glacier areas. You get to see hundreds of seals lounging on little icebergs in the glacier areas if you go at this time of year. Of course, this is prime time and costs more. I have friends who went in June and although it was cool, said it was nice. I think May is a bit early and the weather a bit iffy. I frankly would like to go one more time and go in early September. I have done the Inside Passage (round trip Vancouver), the Voyage of the Glaciers (1 way from Vancouver to Anchorage) and round trip out of Seattle. My favorite was the Voyage of the Glaciers as you get to see more of Alaska and Vancouver is a great city to spend a few extra days in before the cruise. Seattle was my second favorite. Skip the Voyage one way deal. Hope this helps.

Archived