April 22-29 Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by RC only Cruiser

Fitz, you need a Voyager Class ship out in L.A. I still think it will happen eventually.

If I don't get at least a Radiance class out of L.A. soon, I wil SCREAM!!!!!! I don't even need a Voyager. Radiance would do just fine. Although we had a great time on Monarch, it was just kinda icky.

What they should really do (and I know this would never happen)

Vision to do 3 & 4 night cruises

Radiance class to do alternating 6 & 8 night cruises

Voyager to do 7 night year round. I would never have to leave l.a.:D

If I don't get at least a Radiance class out of L.A. soon, I wil SCREAM!!!!!! I don't even need a Voyager. Radiance would do just fine. Although we had a great time on Monarch, it was just kinda icky.

Eeewwww. Where would you go every time? Mexico? No variety? :eek:

It's funny the people in Baltimore are always complaining about being stuck with a Vision Class ship all these years and here's a huge city like L.A. stuck with the Monarch. Somethings not right about that.

It's funny the people in Baltimore are always complaining about being stuck with a Vision Class ship all these years and here's a huge city like L.A. stuck with the Monarch. Somethings not right about that.

Hey, but you got the Carnival Spirit. Clap-Hands.gif

(I know, you don't have to respond. I know how you feel about Carnival)

Eeewwww. Where would you go every time? Mexico? No variety? :eek:

It was a joke. Lighten up. I have left L.A. every year since I was a baby, and travelled the world. And I happen to find Mexico beautiful. But it would also be nice just to have options. When I go on cruises, I don't do them for the ports so much at all. I do them for a relaxing vacation. I do land vacations to see new places. Cruising is not my idea of getting to see new places. Can't do that in a few hours. That is why I would never cruise to Hawaii. I love Hawaii, and when I am there, I like to be there for a week or two. Same with most places that I like to Travel to. If I want to see an island in the Caribbean, I will go and spend time there.

Hey, but you got the Carnival Spirit. Clap-Hands.gif

(I know, you don't have to respond. I know how you feel about Carnival)

Are you saying you can tell I don't care for Carnival? And I thought I was doing a good job of hiding it.

It was a joke. Lighten up. I have left L.A. every year since I was a baby, and travelled the world. And I happen to find Mexico beautiful. But it would also be nice just to have options. When I go on cruises, I don't do them for the ports so much at all. I do them for a relaxing vacation. I do land vacations to see new places. Cruising is not my idea of getting to see new places. Can't do that in a few hours. That is why I would never cruise to Hawaii. I love Hawaii, and when I am there, I like to be there for a week or two. Same with most places that I like to Travel to. If I want to see an island in the Caribbean, I will go and spend time there.

(Dang I hate that term: lighten up) I live closer to L.A. than any other port myself and would not complain about a voyager ship there. But the same itinerary would not excite me. And I too like to relax. Just not on the same ship/same itinerary/same hotel/same _insert_whatever.

We were on the Conquest in Jan. 2005. I have a different opinion of it from the OP. While I agree that the food was good the crew seem to be uphappy (they never spoke to you in passing in the hallways), the ship layout was difficult to navigate, there were a lot of stains in the carpets, and the ship's decor was very depressing--everything was very dark.

I have never been on a RCI ship (even the older ones) that have not been well maintained and the decor has always been pleasant to the eye.

I think the important think the important perspective on this topic is consistency. From my observations and perspective, Carnival has yet to achieve any consistency in quality across the brand. Although the Conquest may not have been gaudy, ships like the Carnival Miracle (i.e. the ugliest ship at sea), in my opinion, harm the brand and impact guest's perceived consistency. In the arena of food, Carnival has definitely made strides in selections, however, quality and temperature (i.e. dining room food not being served at temperature) still seem to be prevalent. Again, inconsistency hurts the brand. Finally, in the area of service, you can always find someone who is not up to par with service, but it seems that Carnival has more inconsistency in this area and it too, hurts the brand. I have always said that you can have a great cruise on Carnival and for many budgets, it is the right choice. However, I think Royal Caribbean still offers the most consistent product and in my opinion, is worth any additional cost there may be.

Cruise on the Carnival Holiday twice several years ago, just got off the Mariner last week. Wow what a difference, the Mariner is a great ship.

Maybe because the Holiday was one of their older ships they didn't care about quality and it showed in the food, service, shows, and condition of the ship. Looking back at it now it was just down right terrible.

Ok seriously, the Mariner is like what, triple the size of Holiday not to mention only a few years old. There is no comparison to be made there - that doesn't even make sense. I sailed on Holiday in 1989 and she wasn't even new then but it was the biggest ship I'd ever seen at the time and we had a great time. Would I sail on her now? No, but she's still sailing full so she's fulfilling someone's vacation wishes.

I don't think you can compare Voyager or higher class with RCI (facilities wise) to anything else on the seas.

For me, I'm with the OP. Service wise we've seen very little difference between the two. I sailed Jewel of the Seas when she was about 8 months old and it was probably my least favourite cruise when it comes to food and service although we still had a great time. To each their own. I flip back and forth.

Goodml I think your right on target. Thats like the person who cancelled the new Carnival Freedom to go on Sovereign of the Seas, I seriously cant see how you even compare the 2 and pick Sovereign but to each his own like you said. I also think attitude and expectations certainly make or break a good cruise experience.

Ok seriously, the Mariner is like what, triple the size of Holiday not to mention only a few years old. There is no comparison to be made there - that doesn't even make sense.

All he said was that the experiences were totally opposite and that he didn't enjoy Carnival. Sovereign of the Seas is 20 years old but we still love that ship. It is completely different from Mariner and nearly half the size, but not incomparable.

Thats like the person who cancelled the new Carnival Freedom to go on Sovereign of the Seas, I seriously cant see how you even compare the 2 and pick Sovereign but to each his own like you said. I also think attitude and expectations certainly make or break a good cruise experience.

I rebooked for Soveriegn of the Seas because I already have that week off and that way I will save money to put towards a Mariner cruise next summer. Besides that, I am doing the same exact itenerary on Freedom OF THE SEAS in July as we were doing on CARNIVAL Freedom next year. You don't have to agree with my choice.

And who are you to tell me that my attitudes and expectations 'broke' my Carnival cruise. It wasn't my expectations or attitude, it was the Imagination that 'broke' my experience. I have been 100% satisfied with every other cruise I have been on, including the older ships.

Goodml I think your right on target. Thats like the person who cancelled the new Carnival Freedom to go on Sovereign of the Seas, I seriously cant see how you even compare the 2 and pick Sovereign but to each his own like you said. I also think attitude and expectations certainly make or break a good cruise experience.

I would take Sovereign over cruising on any Carnival ship again. Sometimes it's not just the ship that makes the cruise. It's the entire cruise experience. In my book, RCI gives me that and Carnival failed in my last three or four cruises. :)

No kidding!! Although I have to say that the Monarch looked sooo much better last December compared to August 2005. They did some good work during her short dry-dock.

###

Very informative thread, thanks to the OP and all others who have posted.

I´ve not sailed Carnival and after reading all posts I know it was a good choice for me. I would never say never, but right now I´m satisfied with RCI and all what I read and see (pics) about Carnival I know I did good so far:)

Kruze my statement about attitudes was not at all meant for you, im so sorry you thought my comment was meant for you. I never mentioned your name in that sentence. It was meant for everyone. So sorry about that! I knew I would encounter some nasty comments on here but I did not deserve you going off on me for a comment not even directed at you.

Kruze my statement about attitudes was not at all meant for you, im so sorry you thought my comment was meant for you. I never mentioned your name in that sentence. It was meant for everyone. So sorry about that! I knew I would encounter some nasty comments on here but I did not deserve you going off on me for a comment not even directed at you.

I took it that you meant that for him also.

Here is what you posted.

You made reference to the person that canceled the Freedom for the Sovereign and the attitude quote all within the same post. Very easy for someone to take that way. I'm glad that you enjoyed Carnival. Many folks do and that's great but you're the one that posted your comments on the RCI board and if you don't expect others to give their opinions which may differ from that of yours then maybe you should think twice about posting them here.

Oh, was it for all the other posters that cancelled their Carnival Freedom cruise for Sovereign of the Seas? Thanks for clearing that one up ruskatab :rolleyes: .

Like cruisingator, I really, seriously am glad that you enjoyed you Carnival cruise and I hope you enjoy your future cruises with them, but I didn't and it wasn't because of my expectations or attitude. Thats it for me on this thread :eek: :rolleyes: ;) !

ooh I just came from the carnival board with the same post, and they are so much nicer.

I have sailed RCI and am about to sail carnival, I am excited to do so. My last cruise on RCI was the voyager, Awesome ship, to look at, but in my opinion just that, the food even though not terrible was a major dissapointment, there were obvious cutbacks (which I understand has happened on every line). The ship was really big, great for families who need to have a million things to do. I thought this cruise felt less like a "cruise" than any I have ever been on, more like a hotel/mall that landed in different ports throughout the week. With that said we still had a great time.

In my early years of cruising there was alot of carnival bashing onboard RCI ships by the crew (including cruise director) and passangers, and I can see how this may have helped feed the elitist attitude that some RCI loyalist have.

Just my humble opinion

MAC

And who are you to tell me that my attitudes and expectations 'broke' my Carnival cruise. It wasn't my expectations or attitude, it was the Imagination that 'broke' my experience. I have been 100% satisfied with every other cruise I have been on, including the older ships.

I seriously don't see where anyone said YOUR attitudes and expectations broke your cruise. Why so defensive? You've been unhappy on Carnival and happy with RCCL - that's great. OP's happy on both so that's great. It's ok for him or her to be happy somewhere else.

And I'm sorry but we're going to have to agree to disagree because there's no comparing a ship like Holiday with Mariner. Amenities do contribute to the experience.

ooh I just came from the carnival board with the same post, and they are so much nicer.

In my early years of cruising there was alot of carnival bashing onboard RCI ships by the crew (including cruise director) and passangers, and I can see how this may have helped feed the elitist attitude that some RCI loyalist have.

Just my humble opinion

Well the Carnival posters were not very happy with me when I complained about my cruise on Fantasy. Most posters get defensive when people do not like their cruise line, including myself.

The bashing goes both ways. On Carnival, crew say that Carnival has all the fun, on Royal Caribbean, they say that Royal Caribbean does. Both are fun lines, but I prefer Royal Caribbean. I think RC has more of a consistant cruiser satisfaction than Carnival does.

Well the Carnival posters were not very happy with me when I complained about my cruise on Fantasy. Most posters get defensive when people do not like their cruise line, including myself.

The bashing goes both ways. On Carnival, crew say that Carnival has all the fun, on Royal Caribbean, they say that Royal Caribbean does. Both are fun lines, but I prefer Royal Caribbean. I think RC has more of a consistant cruiser satisfaction than Carnival does.

I agree, there are people on every line who will get defensive when it comes to their cruiseline of choice. With so many things being subjective it is hard to wade through some of the reviews. My first cruise on princess was really boring and I didn't like the ship at all, but the second one the ship was awesome and the cruise much better. I can see how one bad experience can sour someone on a cruise, this is one of those things that cost a lot of money and takes a lot of planning and preperation, so trying again is something that most people are not willing to do.

MAC

Archived