first time cruising question

I've been cruising 20+ years and have NEVER had anything "go missing" from a stateroom - in the early days of cruising there were no in-room safes. Any valuables could be left at the Purser's Desk (now called Reception) - it was too much trouble to have to ask for things kept there so we just left everything in our stateroom and never lost anything........

We sailed on the Star in August, and had no issues. We had a portable DVD player, movies, and a $1500 SLR that was out in the open, and had no issues of any kind. The safe is great, but it doesn't offer a lot of space. We where able to put a Nintendo DS, our passports & some cash in it.

Welcome to CC, Darby.

In many many cruises I've never had anything stolen. And I've left things out in plain sight that I probably should not have ... jewelry for one.

But I would suggest, of course, using common sense. I don't think you need to tuck your valuables into socks or shoes in the closet.

Another thread on this board mentions that any problems are not likely the crew; but more probably passengers who walk by when the door is open and see valuables. Now how they'd get them OUT of your room is another question.

Enjoy your cruise and let us know how it went!

Carol in SC

Another thread on this board mentions that any problems are not likely the crew; but more probably passengers who walk by when the door is open and see valuables. Now how they'd get them OUT of your room is another question.

Carol in SC

My guess would be through the same door.

4 Cruises and we have never had anything taken, but we did have someone leave a necklace in our room from the previous cruise...I often wonder if the Cruiseline contacts them.. or keeps it until someone contacts them and asks them if they have found anything that they lost... and if no one does what do they do with all of those items:confused: Does anyone know???or is it one of lifes little mysteries....:D

12 cruises and never had anything stolen.

However, once I came back to my room and found the door propped open. The room stewards were in the middle of cleaning it and propped the door open with the cleaning bucket and then left! I waited at least 5 minutes before they came back. I wasn't very happy about that. I'm not worried about the crew stealing anything, but any passenger walking by could have helped themselves. After that I realized why you should keep valuables in the safe or at least out of sight.

:) thanks for putting my mind at ease, just can't wait to go. hoping that the weather will be as warm as possible for alaska.

We can join the others in saying we've never had a problem on our 5 cruises to Alaska on NCL. However do use common sense and put any small valuables in the safe (jewelry). We did leave our camera out (charging it) and also our laptop.

This morning the Star and 2 other ships have arrived in Seattle. And it's colder here than it is in Alaska! It's 32 in Seattle this morning and 39 in Juneau; 43 in Skagway & 37 in Ketchikan.

We've never had anything stolen either. We left our safe wide open in the morning by accident during a sea day. It had our passports and over a thousand dollars in cash... plus jewelry. We are always busy all day and rarely in our cabin. We didn't come back to our room until it was time to change for dinner. The room was cleaned, made up.. and not a single item was taken. All the money was there.

Once upon a time I had a client who returned from a cruise and insisted that jewelry had been stolen from his cabin. He was convinced the steward had taken it. Demanded that I call the cruise line and (a) fire the cabin steward and (b) get his jewelry back.

This was the first time in my many years of selling cruises that this had happened. Since the client was so insistent, I escalated the report to the cruise line and they took it VERY seriously, contacting the ship at sea and following the trail very closely.

The next day I called the client to report that the cruise line had found no trace of his jewelry, but before I could say that, the client sheepishly said "Guess what. I found the jewelry. I'd tucked it in the toe of a shoe for safekeeping and just found it this morning when I went to put on the shoes".

I guess the point of this post is to say it remains 100% in my experience that I know of nothing actually stolen from a stateroom.

(Now, our portable GPS was stolen out of my DH's car the other car, but that's another story....)

Carol in SC

Hey Smokindarby~!!

We're also going on the Pearl next Sat. (5-13.!

We are so excited............ can't hardly wait. I think we have

done maybe 18-20 cruises & each one of them is just as thrilling as the 1st. We're all going to have a GREAT time. I also hope it is warm as possible in Alaska while there. We're from Tx (90+ degrees) yesterday.

Just make sure you have your cash, passports, jewelry etc (locked)

in the safe & all will be fine.

I know its going to be an excellent cruise,:) :p ;) :D :)

Jim

Once upon a time I had a client who returned from a cruise and insisted that jewelry had been stolen from his cabin. He was convinced the steward had taken it. Demanded that I call the cruise line and (a) fire the cabin steward and (b) get his jewelry back.

... the client sheepishly said "Guess what. I found the jewelry. I'd tucked it in the toe of a shoe for safekeeping and just found it this morning when I went to put on the shoes".

So, did you client fire the shoe?

Archived