Leave excursion early?

Our family will be on Mariner June 3. In Georgetown, Grand Cayman we had planned to take a taxi to the turtle farm and then spend some time on 7-mile beach. Then we learned--thanks to these boards!!--that the price of the turtle farm has gone from around $10 to $60 per person!:eek: That's too much for six of us. But I see that RCL has a shore excursion for $34 that includes a trip to Hell, a visit to the turtle farm, a photo-op at 7-mile beach and a rum cake factory. What I'm wondering is, could we just stay at the beach when the excursion stops for pictures? We don't mind missing the rum cake factory and getting a taxi back to the ship on our own. Anyone done this?

Isn't your excursion price locked in or has it increased to reflect that new amount? I am asking as we are looking at the excursion for Nov. on the Mariner. Or am I not clear? Were you going to the turtle farm on your own? Sorry if I am being slow.....it's late.

Our family will be on Mariner June 3. In Georgetown, Grand Cayman we had planned to take a taxi to the turtle farm and then spend some time on 7-mile beach. Then we learned--thanks to these boards!!--that the price of the turtle farm has gone from around $10 to $60 per person!:eek: That's too much for six of us. But I see that RCL has a shore excursion for $34 that includes a trip to Hell, a visit to the turtle farm, a photo-op at 7-mile beach and a rum cake factory. What I'm wondering is, could we just stay at the beach when the excursion stops for pictures? We don't mind missing the rum cake factory and getting a taxi back to the ship on our own. Anyone done this?

DW and I did the $34 excursion and still had time for the beach. Best part about the excursion is the turtle farm.

my kids are dying to go to the turtle farm, and we will do so on our next cruise in 08.

Here are soem useful links that will be helpful:

ENJOY

www.caymanvacations.com/general/sightseeing.htm

www.oceanphotos.com/cayman.htm

www.familytravelfun.com/grandcayman.html

www.turtle.ky/webcam.htm

www.familytravelfun.com/georgetowngrandcayman.html

Have a wonderful vacation:) :)

HEY, FAMILY OF 6;

Come on over to our Rollcall board and meet all the great people that are going to be on the Mariner June 3rd!!

Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=345443

Would love to meet you and hear all about your family. We have already planned a "Pre-Meet and Mingle" Party for Sunday at 3:00.

I don't see where that would be a problem! They have buses that stop at all the "public access" points along the beach. It's a lovely beach with all facilities available--restrooms, eaterys, watersport rentals, etc.... Just keep an eye on the traffic (easy since the beach is within spitting distance of the road) as it sometimes backs up for miles! If traffic looks like it's moving slowly, leave yourself enough time to get back to the ship!!!!

I think you should be aware that at times they do not go in the order that it appears as you read about it. In other words, the factory could be first, followed by hell and the the turtle farm, and then the beach. Is the price for the trurtle farm not included in your price for the tour?

We took a city tour of Acapulco and on our way back towards the ship we saw a restaurant we'd thought of taking a taxi to after our return from our tour so... we just asked the bus driver to stop and we hoped off the bus. Had a great dinner, then took a cab back to the ship. All worked great and we saved a ton of time!

Happy Cruis'n

Debordo

Just remember to let the tour group leader/bus driver know in advance that you won't be continuing on the tour - it's not really fair to everyone else on the bus to wait for you guys if you're not coming back with them...

Enjoy the turtles!

Archived