Newbie to cruising

mad4rda

Hi

I'm a single traveller and I've always wanted to go to Alaska - so after quite a bit of research, I decided to book with Celebrity and go on the Mercury (sailing 14th September).

However, I've got a couple of questions I wondered you might all be able to answer.... (my apologies if they're a bit 'dumb') :)

1. Does anyone know why the Mercury is leaving from Vancouver but arriving back at Seattle for this cruise?

2. As I'm on my own, I'll probably prefer to have room service in the evenings. Would I need to let the restaurant know that I won't be at my sitting? I wouldn't like for fellow passengers to be held up waiting for me to appear...

3. Do people generally finding single travellers a little strange for a cruise ship? I travelled across Canada last winter on the Canadian sleeper train and people seemed a little bemused... Not that it bothers me, if i didn't go it alone, I'd never see the world!!!

Many thanks

Kazza

Hi

I'm a single traveller and I've always wanted to go to Alaska - so after quite a bit of research, I decided to book with Celebrity and go on the Mercury (sailing 14th September).

However, I've got a couple of questions I wondered you might all be able to answer.... (my apologies if they're a bit 'dumb') :)

1. Does anyone know why the Mercury is leaving from Vancouver but arriving back at Seattle for this cruise?

2. As I'm on my own, I'll probably prefer to have room service in the evenings. Would I need to let the restaurant know that I won't be at my sitting? I wouldn't like for fellow passengers to be held up waiting for me to appear...

3. Do people generally finding single travellers a little strange for a cruise ship? I travelled across Canada last winter on the Canadian sleeper train and people seemed a little bemused... Not that it bothers me, if i didn't go it alone, I'd never see the world!!!

Many thanks

Kazza

Hi, It is probably the last Alaskan Cruise of the season,

so it is ending in Seattle to start another itinerary.

Next, why would you want to eat in your cabin every night?

I sail solo all the time and one of my most enjoyable times

of the day is eating with tablemates at dinner:)

I always request a large table and it is usually a great time!

By chance, if there is a conflict, after the first evening

you can always see the Maitr'd and ask for a table change.

But I would urge you to at least give it a chance. It really

is a wonderful way to meet other folks!:D

I still get some folks who think it is "brave" to sail solo....

but most people don't care...and I certainly don't;)

It is the best value for me and I love cruising!

And the staff and crew are great too.

Enjoy your cruise..wish I could go back with you!

I sailed Mercury last year to Alaska and had a fabulous time.

Oh, you might want to check out the ROLL CALL board and

see if there are others sailing with you. It is a fun way

to meet people who are on your cruise!

Kazza, I sailed solo once and was seated at a table for six that had two couples and one other solo woman. So, I wasn't the only solo person, and everyone was very nice and we had a very pleasant time each night at dinner.

So, I agree that it's definitely worth it to check out your table mates!

Hi Leela!:) Good to see you again.

Kazza, last cruise I went on was 2 months ago and

it ended up my table was all solo travelers. That was

the first time that had ever happened to me.

3 gals were traveling together but they were unattached,

another gal was married but her hubby doesn't cruise and

one guy, who happened to be the lecturer on board the ship

and myself. So it was a nice 6 top.

We had a great table and our waiter was awesome as well:) He had

been my waiter on 2 previous cruises:D so it was really

fun seeing him again too!

I usually request an 8 top but this worked out just fine.

I can't speak to the solo cruising. I have never done that. But, if this is indeed the last Alaska cruise of the season, be advised that there will be a lot of great bargains in the cruise oriented stores. It will be a great place to do some early Christmas shopping. If you are worried about carrying a lot home, you can ship it, no problem.

Also, take a good quality camera, preferably digital, and plenty of memory. On our September cruise last year I shot almost a thousand pictures in one week. The glacier will be awesome if you get a good day.

Have a great time. Don't stay in your cabin. Get out and mingle. There are a lot of single cruisers out there. You won't feel out of place.

Dear Kazza:

Congratulations on getting out there and traveling. I'm married and my wife will travel wherever I make plans for, but it would truly sadden me if something ever happens to me and she never travels again. Get out there and enjoy.

If anyone thinks it's unusual for a person to cruise alone, that is their problem. I, for one, can't think of a reason why that would be strange.

Regarding eating alone in your room, you didn't state a reason and it appears that most people have assumed that it's because you are shy. Is there another reason? If shyness is the reason, then I agree with the others. Get out there and eat in the dining room. Meet other people and have fun.

We traveled with a group of nine family members, on Infinity through the Panama Canal in March, but I found the Roll Call for our cruise to be a wonderful way to meet people ahead of time and now I have a great group of friends that still keep in touch.

Remember: Your vacation is yours to do what you want. By getting out and going on the cruise you're already ahead of most people, so have fun.

Bob

Hi Everyone

Thank you for the information and the words of encouragement.

I don't really have a problem dining with other people, it's just I get the impression that cruising is for 'couples' or 'families'. But having read all your replies, I get the feeling that this was misplaced!

I'm really looking forward to the cruise and I'll definitely give the dining a go!

Kazza

Hi Everyone

Thank you for the information and the words of encouragement.

I don't really have a problem dining with other people, it's just I get the impression that cruising is for 'couples' or 'families'. But having read all your replies, I get the feeling that this was misplaced!

I'm really looking forward to the cruise and I'll definitely give the dining a go!

Kazza

Good morning:) ........nope, nope, nope......Cruising is

FOR EVERYONE:D ........doesn't matter what your maritial

status is!

Glad we could help you see the light:D :) or the water;)

I don't know why Mercury embarks at one port and disembarks at the other. Can't answer that.

As for being a single traveler. I travel with my son (now 6). For the past three years we have cruised together- just the two of us. He goes to the Fun Factory at night and I go to the formal diningroom solo. It is great. You get to meet other people and I really looked forward to this every nite. For heaven's sake, don't eat in your cabin. Join in and you'll meet great people.

I danced every nite (they had dance hosts) and I sat at the bar with other people. Had my regular bartender, Marco from Honduras. It was great.

There is nothing wrong with solo traveling. More power to you.:)

I get the impression that cruising is for 'couples' or 'families'. But having read all your replies, I get the feeling that this was misplaced!

I'm not going to lie to you -- cruising can be very "couply." I usually cruise with my mother, as she loves to cruise. When I was married, I'd go with her rather than my ex-husband because he despises cruising. I just got off my first post-split cruise, which I did with my mother as usual. However, I noticed all the couples dancing together, sitting together in bars, taking care of each other, that sort of thing. I've got to say it was a little depressing for me.

However, being there sans "partner" wasn't a social or personal disaster. As others have said, the people at dinner can be very nice and pleasant, and if you join the Roll Call for your cruise and also sign up for the Cruise Critics Connection party you can meet some of your fellow cruises, which is very fun. It's nice being able to wander around the ship and bump into people who you at least recognize and know their names. People will often say "hi" and ask you to join them for a drink, or to sit with them, or whatever, so it's possible to have a very enjoyable time.

I have been travelling on my own now for some 10 years. Most of the holidays have been cruises and it is a great way not only to meet people but just so much better than a land based holiday. As everyone says I have had no trouble with mixing although I am always careful not to tag myself on to people. I agree that a table for 8 is a good idea and also if there is a problem then it is easy to get your table changed. It is OK to eat in your room but please do try the evening dining as this is the highlight of the holiday.

Sue

I was married to an alcoholic- so vacations weren't relaxing. I could never find him on board. He would be passing out in the hot tubs, stumbling into the stateroom at 2 AM, etc.

So for me- no husband is a breath of fresh air! I actually pity couples. They have to share cramped quarters- vie for the bathroom. Try to find each other on a big ship. Plan activities together. Get on each other's nerves. Look at it that way- the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I am sorry that you and your husband split up but after awhile you will really enjoy being single. It has its positives.

I actually pity couples. They have to share cramped quarters- vie for the bathroom. Try to find each other on a big ship. Plan activities together. Get on each other's nerves. Look at it that way- the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

That is a real generalization; please do not "pity" couples as your description most definitely does not apply to all of us:rolleyes:.

I have sailed solo, with friends, with my mom and as part of a couple. Each has their own pleasures and challenges.

When I cruised solo, meeting other people was not my priority. I simply chose when I wanted to be alone and also when I wanted to be social. Cruising makes that easy.

I love to read on deck, work out often, steam and sauna, etc. I was lucky to almost always be seated with a nice group of people and, when that did not happen, the dining room managers were quick to make an adjustment.

As part of a couple, we are not bound at the hip. DH has activities that interest him and that I do not share. Last cruise, he went deep sea fishing and ziplining while I enjoyed a beach day in Cabo and then a massage in PV while he was zipping. I work out every day at least once and he does not; I sauna and steam and he does not care for it. We also enjoyed couple activities, like dancing after dinner and wine tasting which we both enjoy.

We do not book small cabins so are not required to share "cramped" quarters.

I have never travelled with anyone where at some point during the trip they did not get on my nerves.:)

IMO, cruising is for everyone that enjoys the shipboard experience.

Have a great cruise!

Lighten up- it was a generalization!

I was trying to inspire the newly single gal.

When you are a couple- sometimes you wish you were single.

When you are single- sometimes you wish you were a couple. There are pros and cons to both.

If I had a nice husband, who shared my interests that would be fine and dandy. But I really enjoy not having to take another person into consideration. In my case, I babysat my husband and that was no fun!

Obviously there are successful relationships out there. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Archived