Connecting Stateroom - HELP!

I just realized that the stateroom we booked for our December cruise on the Mariner is a connecting room. I am frustrated because we booked this cruise while on board the Monarch and specifically said that we did NOT want a connecting room. Even though I've looked at the deck plan a million times, the symbol is so small that I missed it until last night.

I've called RCI and there are no other rooms in our category on Deck 9. There is one all the way in the front on Deck 8 and one all the way in the back on Deck 10. We are traveling with 3 other families, all of whom booked their rooms on Deck 9 because of us, so we don't want to switch to another deck, especially to a room with a less preferred location.

So, I'm stuck, and I'd love some advice. How bad is a connecting room? I feel like we're rolling the dice -- it could be fine, or it could be a problem the entire trip. It's a room for 4 people, so chances are there will be kids. Anyone have any experiences to share?

Otherwise, anyone have any recommendations on how we could follow up on this with RCI and find another room?

Thanks!

We've had connecting cabins twice, both time tried unsuccessfully to change them.

Other than hearing a bit of muffled voices, it really wasn't any different than a non-connecting cabin. I've always been a little surprised they don't hold these aside for families, both times we booked way in advance and tried to not book a connecting cabin. It was the decision of the cruiseline, not a TA or us.

I just realized that the stateroom we booked for our December cruise on the Mariner is a connecting room. I am frustrated because we booked this cruise while on board the Monarch and specifically said that we did NOT want a connecting room. Even though I've looked at the deck plan a million times, the symbol is so small that I missed it until last night.

I've called RCI and there are no other rooms in our category on Deck 9. There is one all the way in the front on Deck 8 and one all the way in the back on Deck 10. We are traveling with 3 other families, all of whom booked their rooms on Deck 9 because of us, so we don't want to switch to another deck, especially to a room with a less preferred location.

So, I'm stuck, and I'd love some advice. How bad is a connecting room? I feel like we're rolling the dice -- it could be fine, or it could be a problem the entire trip. It's a room for 4 people, so chances are there will be kids. Anyone have any experiences to share?

Otherwise, anyone have any recommendations on how we could follow up on this with RCI and find another room?

Thanks!

We did experience more noise through the connecting door on our Mariner sailing a few years ago. Maybe our neighbors were particularly noisy??

I would just continue to check, even daily, on your own with a "mock" reservation on the RCI website for new cabins that pop up. They do, especially around the time of final payment. Put a hold on it and call RCI or your TA and have them switch it for you. Good luck!

Wait until closer to sail date and something likely will open up. It's still very early. I notice alot of rooms usually get released just before final payment is due. From our experience you should try to change if possible. Connecting cabins that connect with people you don't know are to be avoided! Smoke, noise, not fun.

We had a connecting stateroom on the Jewel 2 months ago........never heard a sound........both staterooms had a door, so it was a double door type of situation.......we really didn't hear anything.

Hi ppfqp,

We were on the Mariner during sping break this year in a D1 aft connecting to a JS. I too was concerned. We Heard NOTHING from this room. I actually asked our room steward if anyone was in that cabin and she told me it was a couple with two little boys. If you cannot change cabins, as you would prefer, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The only two complaints I've heard and experienced myself ar:

1. Your sofa/couch will be half the size it normally is to allow room for the door between the two cabins.

OKay, that REALLY stinks, because my daughters are supposed to sleep on that sofa!!!

OKay, that REALLY stinks, because my daughters are supposed to sleep on that sofa!!!

No worries... If it a room designed to sleep 4 with a sleeper sofa, the door will be positioned accordingly. I would think on the opposite wall. What cabin is it??

No worries... If it a room designed to sleep 4 with a sleeper sofa, the door will be positioned accordingly. I would think on the opposite wall. What cabin is it??

That room sleeps 4 with a sleeper sofa. The connecting door should be at the foot of the bed/sofa, I would think.

In the E1, for example, that sleeps 3 with a 3rd pullman, the connecting door was where a loveseat would have been. There is a chair instead, which allows more room to pass through the connecting doors.

That room sleeps 4 with a sleeper sofa. The connecting door should be at the foot of the bed/sofa, I would think.

Good to hear - thanks for the reassurance.

No only MIGHT you hear noise from the other cabin--remember it works both ways! They may hear noise from YOU!!!!! Shhhhhh!

Well, I worry about that too! :)

Beware if your next door neighbors are honeymooners, drunk college types, hard-of-hearing folks...or as we experienced, teenagers that left their TV on (loud) all night while they were at the clubs... Aaaargh.

LL

My folks were on Explorer last week on Deck 9 and they said it was not an issue at all. The door is small and right next to the balcony. They were convinced that their neighbors never left the room but did not hear a sound. Cabins free up all the time though so if it keeps you up at night, keep calling your agent or RCI direct.

I wonder if RCCL would change one of the people you are cruising with to the cabin next door. At least then you'd know who to complain to if it got to loud:D

They said they couldn't do that, plus it is another room with a pull-out sofa (for 3 or 4 people) and all our other family are cruising as couples and only need a double room.

Maybe whoever is in that cabin will start posting in the M&M for our cruise and we can agree to be quiet!

We were in a connecting promenade cabin on the Explorer last week. We had family next door but could hear muffled conversations and could hear their tv. Also at night, we could see the light around the door from their cabin. Keep checking for other cabins.

I ve been on voyager class ships 4 times now. Twice with connecting rooms and you can hear all most everything in them. If the folks are a little loud, your gonna hear it. If their mad you will hear everything.

We were in a connecting promenade cabin on the Explorer last week. We had family next door but could hear muffled conversations and could hear their tv. Also at night, we could see the light around the door from their cabin. Keep checking for other cabins.

oooo---- would not like that too much!

We have connecting cabins june 2008 - but DD is our neighbor - thanks for the noise heads up.:eek:

As far as the light around the door.....when you foot the bill - you get to say lights out!!!!

We just returned from the Mariner and had a connecting room on deck 9 ,never heard a sound all week, I would not worry about it, you cant pick your neighbors and even without a connecting room you could have noisy neighbors. Have a great cruise

We had ajoining rooms on the Adventure of the Seas. Never heard a sound never saw light under or around the door. Never even heard the shower. We even left our balcony door open and the sound of the water sent us off into the best slumbers you could ever imagine.

If you want to find a problem you will. Go on your vacation and have fun! There's so much to see and do on these ships. Enjoy!

• 1 year later...

We were on the Mariner a couple of weeks ago and had connecting Promenade cabins. We actually heard more from the parties on the Promenade than we did the kids next door. And, they were our kids. We would fully close the door and I couldn't hear the kids even if they were calling for me. Ours was at the foot of the main beds and was a fairly thick door with a good seal.

Archived