My Dawn Princess 4/23-5/4 Review, part 1

CruisinCadie

First, a bit about us: DH and I are both 60 years old. This our second cruise. Our first was on the Sun Princess to Alaska in 2004. Our younger daughter is working on a PH.D. at UC-Berkeley, so when we started talking about taking another cruise, DH suggested we see what sailed out of San Francisco. Of course you know by now our options are limited, and we wanted something different than Alaska, but this seemed ideal.

We flew in two days early and spent time with DD. It was quite a sight, driving across the Bay Bridge on Sunday and seeing the Golden in port, knowing we'd be on the Dawn the next day.

DD dropped us at the pier around 11:30. There was a small line ahead of us, but it moved steadily, and we were onboard shortly after noon. After dropping the carry-ons in our cabin, we headed for the buffet and lunch, then wandered around, familiarizing ourselves with the ship. Attended muster drill, returned to find our luggage had not yet been delivered, and went up for sailaway. WOW! Sailing under the Golden Gate bridge is everything everyone said it would be.

By then, our luggage had started to arrive in bits and pieces, so we started unpacking. And then the ship reached the "potato patch." Oops. Neither of us felt real steady. Fortunately I never travel without Benadryl, so we each took a capsule. As soon as we'd unpacked, we went down to dinner, and the ship had passed through the rough area by the time we were done.

There were Cruise Critic meet-and-greets the first two sea days, one set up by KDR69 and one set up by Princess. Unfortunately, they were poorly attended, so they never set up another near the end of the cruise. But we met some very nice people, whom we had a lot in common with.

One highlight for us was the series of lectures given by Dr. Michael Atkins, an oceanographer. He talked every sea day on a different ocean-related topic, from the comet that hit near the Yucatan and probably killed the dinosaurs, to global warming. He'd worked on an IMAX film with James Cameron (Titanic), about underwater life, and showed that the final sea day. We really enjoyed listening to him, and he developed quite a big following.

We saw most of the production shows, including "Welcome Aboard Showtime," "Piano Man," "Tribute," and "Save the Last Dance." We missed "Extreme Country." All the shows were very well done, much better than the ones on our earlier cruise. One of the last sea days, they also offered a backstage tour of the theater. Three of the performers and the production supervisor were there to answer questions, and it was very interesting and informative.

Other entertainers included a hypnotist, whom we didn't like, a ventriloquist, a magician, and several comedians. Some of our favorites were Juggler Dan Bennett, Comedian Carl Strong, Banjoist Michael Young (sounds weird, but he was quite talented), and Singer/Dancer Tony Tillman, who has played Sammy Davis, Jr. in a Rat Pack revue in Vegas. If you get the chance to see any of these, don't miss them. The night we were in Acapulco, they also brought the Antonio Ramirez Mexican Folkloric Festival dancers on board for two shows.

Ports: We booked all our tours through the ship, because our Spanish is very limited.

Mazatlan--We took the Mazatlan Highlights and Pampantla Flyers tour, which was filmed for the Reflections DVD. We got to see a lot in a very short time, which was good. But when we stopped for shopping, there was only one public restroom available for our busload, both men and women, and a very short time to use it. Also, they were offering free shots of tequila, but it was serve yourself and there were only two glasses, which everyone had to keep reusing. Still, a good tour, if a bit pressed for time.

Acapulco--We originally signed up for A Walking Tour through Acapulco's Heart, which visited the fort and the mask museum, among other stops. Then in the evening, we were going to take the Cliff Divers and Multimedia Show tour, but that was cancelled. So we cancelled our walking tour and took the City Highlights and Cliff Divers tour. The Cliff Divers are definitely worth seeing, but I wish we'd just taken a cab to see them, and then walked across the street from the ship to see the fort and museum. By the time we got back from the tour, it was too hot for us to venture out again. I can understand why people take siestas. Acapulco is probably our least favorite port--it looks like any big city anywhere is the world.

Zihuatenejo--This was our favorite stop. We took the Walking Tour and saw almost all of this charming fishing village.

Puerto Vallarto--City and Coastal Drive. Another beautiful city, and a fascinating tour. One of our stops was a bar/restaurant called Sancto Tequila, (Holy Tequila?), where we could see tequila being made and sample different flavors. We also saw the beautiful church (with a massage parlor right down the street), and had time to do a little shopping.

Cabo San Lucas--This was a tender port, and the bay was choppy, so the ride was interesting. Then we'd signed up for the Coastal Cruise, which we wondered what we were getting into. But it's in a 100-ft. catamaran and was a very comfortable ride. After the tour, we walked around town a bit, found Cabo Wabo, which is very well hidden, and did more shopping. Being the last cruise ship of the season, we were able to get a few good bargains.

Okay, that's enough for tonight. I'll be back tomorrow to talk about the food, cabin, etc.

KD

Thanks for your review, part 1.

I'm making notes of the entertainers you enjoyed and hope they will be still on the Dawn in July when we're on her to Alaska.

Going under the Golden Gate Bridge sure is spectacular. I'm looking forward to doing that again.

Do you happen to know if the CC meet and greet set up by Princess was done automatically, that they figure there are CC members, or did someone contact the cruise director?

Eagerly awaiting part 2.

Jackie

The first meet and greet was set up by one of the CC members in our roll call. He contacted Princess by phone and was told that they would set aside a place if we had 15 people who would attend it. They reserved Jammers for us the afternoon of the first sea day, and had an open bar and spicy snack mix. It was not posted in the Patter, just word-of-mouth through the roll call. Princess set up the second one for the following morning, in the Patissierie (sp?), and two members of the cruise staff were there with free champagne. That one was listed in the Patter.

They played Tony Bennett singing "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" at sailaway. Very cool.

KD

Thanks for the review - I am eagerly awaiting Part 2! We will sail on the Dawn in 41 days, and I can't read enough about her! :D

I tried to post part 2 last night, but somehow got accidentally logged out, so it wouldn't post. Today will be busy, but maybe I can try again Friday.

Glad you're all enjoying my report.

KD

Thanks for the review - I am eagerly awaiting Part 2! We will sail on the Dawn in 41 days, and I can't read enough about her! :D

Wow Julez...time sure flies...I remember when you first started to research the Dawn....It's coming up fast!

Wow Julez...time sure flies...I remember when you first started to research the Dawn....It's coming up fast!

What a good memory! You're right - it's been over a year since my mom stumbled on this site. It's been a wealth of information, and I've always appreciated everyone's advice (you - in particular - have been a huge help!). :D

Archived