Car Rental In Kenai

tropic traveler

Hi All from drought-ridden So. Florida:

We've rented an SUV from Budget at the Kenai Airport and are looking for information about transportation from the Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge to that airport to pick up our rental. Princess tells me they don't provide transportation from the Lodge to the airport and also told me because of the remoteness of Kenai, there are no taxis on the peninsula. Budget told me there are and they are at the airport all the time.

Has anyone rented a car while on Kenai and if so, how did you arrange transportation?

Many thanks for any and all information!:cool:

Hi All from drought-ridden So. Florida:

We've rented an SUV from Budget at the Kenai Airport and are looking for information about transportation from the Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge to that airport to pick up our rental. Princess tells me they don't provide transportation from the Lodge to the airport and also told me because of the remoteness of Kenai, there are no taxis on the peninsula. Budget told me there are and they are at the airport all the time.

Has anyone rented a car while on Kenai and if so, how did you arrange transportation?

Many thanks for any and all information!:cool:

Kenai Princess Lodge (which is actually in Cooper Landing) is probably about 55 miles from the town of Kenai. Unless there is a road I don't know about (and then it will be gravel and may be unpassable in spots), you will have to head south out of Cooper Landing to Soldotna (47 miles), then northwest to Kenai (about 8-10 miles). We spend a lot of time on the Kenai Peninsula every year and have explored most of the back roads.

There are taxis in the TOWN of Kenai that run around town and travel to Soldotna, but whether they would pick you up at the Kenai Princess???? Plan on at LEAST $100.00 (only $1.00 per mile each way) for a taxi to get your rental car x 2 if you have to get shuttled back to the Kenai Princess.

Please get out a map before you plan on the rental car. The Kenai Peninsula is HUGE and includes towns like Seward and Homer as well as many very small towns (like Cooper Landing-more like a wide spot in the road). The town of Kenai is a town of about 7,000 people. The Kenai Princess is as close if not closer to Seward than it is to the town of Kenai. They are not all KENAI.

Princess does have a shuttle to Seward. You may be better off booking a rental car in Seward than in Kenai. The biggest drawback to the Kenai Princess-it is in the middle of nowhere. Gorgeous lodge, spectacular scenery. But there is absolutely nothing around unless it is provided by Princess.

Plenty of people do not realize there is the city of Kenai and the Kenai Peninsula. And then the Princess Kenai Lodge which is no where near Kenai as already listed. There aren't any taxis either at Cooper Landing that I know of. You need to look at a map.

Best advice- I agree- take the shuttle to Seward and rent a car from there, only Hertz available. BUT determine where you are going to go????? Unless you have a couple days at the Kenai lodge you probably would be better off, just touring Seward.

Archived