Does Anyone Think Pulling My Kids Out For 8 Days Is To Long?

t968

That's is a contraction for that is.....I guess your parents pulled you out of school for eight days during that lesson:)

When did they teach the use of 6 periods at the end of a sentence? :D

It's a board for posting discussions and information (I thought), not an english class...:)

When did they teach the use of 6 periods at the end of a sentence? :D

It's a board for posting discussions and information (I thought), not an english class...:)

Lucky for you or I would have to deduct points for not capitalizing English. No need to respond, I am off this subject and off to spend time with my son.

Hi-

I'm a school administrator, so here's my perspective...

1. How would you feel if the teachers of your children decided that they were all going to take a week off in May and told you to just keep your kids home? I'm sure you would have something to say about that!

2. How would you feel if your kids came to you in September and said they were taking an extra week off? It should be no problem because you have taught them that a week off for vacation is more important than school.

I'm not meaning to sound nasty, but just some food for thought.

Being a teacher I can reassure you it does add a great deal of extra work when students miss school to go on extended vacations. It would be great if they all went the same went, but you have a class of 20 let's say, all going at various times of the year. Parents often want us to prepare work for them to take with them, which adds extra work to get things ready in advance or try to write directions for things that have not even been taught yet. If one is reading a piece of literature, students often return in the middle of the book, not having read what was sent home and they have to be caught up in class, which again adds extra work.

Not only is the extra work a concern, I believe it sends the wrong message to take children out of school. Unlike some vacations, I don't believe cruising is such a great learning experience whereas one gets to learn about various cultures and such. If the main reason for taking the kids out of school is to get a cheaper vacation, I say pay the extra money if you can afford it and think of the wonderful lesson you will have taught your children and perhaps it will be passed on to theirs.

Hi-

1. How would you feel if the teachers of your children decided that they were all going to take a week off in May and told you to just keep your kids home? I'm sure you would have something to say about that!

2. How would you feel if your kids came to you in September and said they were taking an extra week off? It should be no problem because you have taught them that a week off for vacation is more important than school.

Ok...here is my thought....

If school systems did not allow kids to take a week off during sessions...there would not be this discussion.

I guess the administrators or the school systems does allow it....So if it is allowed the parents who don't care about the kids education will take advantage of it.

No offense.....

YIKES......;)

Hi-

Good point! You said it best!!

Hi-

1. The word is substitutes, or if they strike (which they have in the past solely over pay) it's called replacement. It's a profession. If you strike (so to speak) in most professions, it's called job abandonment.

2. The kids in my home are not allowed to be dictators. With our family any decision to start or take a vacation during any part of the school year is more of a process that involves a rather complex set of considerations.

when i was 9, i missed a week of school to take a cruise to mexico. it was an amazing cultural experience (because my parents made it one, and integrated my hw so that i did my school project on posadas in mexico). my brother and i were expected to get all of our homework done in advance, and we did so. we are a family that values education deeply.

in the time since, i also missed a week for space camp, and four or five days to go to europe. so, in 12 years of education, we are speaking of maybe three weeks total for exceptional experiences.

i wouldn't judge anyone else's personal decisions, but these are experiences that stuck with me. i went on to do research in latin america as a grad student, and decided to learn spanish and portuguese, which i speak til this day.

not a bad deal. the wonderful thing about being a parent, you get to make decisions that you consider to be best for your child. best wishes.

p.s. its best when you work with your teachers. respect goes a long way.

when i was 9, i missed a week of school to take a cruise to mexico. it was an amazing cultural experience (because my parents made it one, and integrated my hw so that i did my school project on posadas in mexico). my brother and i were expected to get all of our homework done in advance, and we did so. we are a family that values education deeply.

in the time since, i also missed a week for space camp, and four or five days to go to europe. so, in 12 years of education, we are speaking of maybe three weeks total for exceptional experiences.

i wouldn't judge anyone else's personal decisions, but these are experiences that stuck with me. i went on to do research in latin america as a grad student, and decided to learn spanish and portuguese, which i speak til this day.

not a bad deal. the wonderful thing about being a parent, you get to make decisions that you consider to be best for your child. best wishes.

p.s. its best when you work with your teachers. respect goes a long way.

Your points and examples are top shelf!

You certainly have plenty to read on this subject! As a college student, I can say that missing the last week of high school is a VERY BAD IDEA. You have already heard all of the reasons why it is not ideal.

Cruises are offered WHENEVER. I found a tremendously good deal on a 7 day cruise in December this year, AND I don't have to miss any school to go. Seriously, you need to do something else to celebrate in the mean time, and take your family cruise when you can find something that is both affordable and schedule-appropriate.

My parents would have taken me out of school in your situation. Do not do that disservice to your children, please. :)

I had a student a few years back who had the opportunity to travel with his dad on a business trip to India. A week in India is, in my opinion, a learning experience, and because it was a business trip, it could not be scheduled for when school was out. It was probabl a once in a lifetime opportunity. We all did our best to prepare and then help the student catch up. He did his part and was caught up on work in no time at all.

IMO, this is very different from a cruise. A crusie can be taken at any time of year. It also is not what I would consider a great cultural experience. Cruisers don't spend enough time in any one port to learn much at all about the people or places they visit.

So, I think the week out of school for vacation depends on the circumstances and the place you're going.

I have to share this... as a high school attendance secretary where the attendance policy is STRICK a student who misses that many days at the beginning of May just might run out of time having to make up time missed....

Yeah... those STRICK attendance policies are a billiotch.

Yes- I think it is way too long. I work as a guidance counselor in a high school and missing 8 days is way too much. Schedule it during spring break. It may be a bit more money, but that is the way it is. Also, there will be so many more kids on the ship for your kids to meet and hang out with. Sorry, but you did ask!

My 2 cents...

I think it can be a great learning experience to take kids out of school on a vacation if necessary. Most of my family lives in Europe, so my parents would take my sister and I out of school sometimes to have an "extended" spring break with our family over there. My sister and I were both good students in school and did not allow our grades to suffer. My parents always talked to our teachers and administrators and all were ok with the decision. When we were younger, part of our make-up work usually consisted of an extra project or report on where we went and what we learned about culture and things like that.

However, even though I had great experiences with it, my parents stopped taking us out of school after our sophomore years of high school. At that point, it gets increasingly more difficult and stressful to keep up with the missed work. My parents left the decision up to us on whether or not we thought we could "afford" that much time off of school. Even though spending a week out of school on vacation is more fun, trying to keep up with the work as a junior and senior would have been a nightmare even with block scheduling for classes (you're still missing the same amt of work no matter whether it's a block schedule or not). We both decided it was less stress to pass on the trip.

I'm sure whatever decision you make will be fine. Just keep in mind a week off of school at that level adds a lot of stress later trying to catch up, especially that close to finals. Good luck with your decision.

IMO teachers do not teach after Easter and/or testing in Spring...so if there is no testing and the days will not affect them ....i say take them you only live once.

As a teacher I can tell you that is unequivocally wrong. We teach the entire year - up to and including the last day sometimes. We have so much to get in that it would be ludicrous to think that we stop teaching just because testing or spring break is over. Many of us try to lighten up a bit the last couple of weeks in ways such as less or no homework, trying to make some of the final activities more fun, outdoors things but we are still teaching while doing some of these "fun" things.

I am sure glad you didn't miss any classes in school. When you stayed home....is that when you attended the class that taught you your lovely manners?

wow..how mature.... let me guess...no kids?

My thoughts exactly, such and angry man!! hahahaha you gotta just learn to laugh at this one.....

IMO teachers do not teach after Easter and/or testing in Spring...so if there is no testing and the days will not affect them ....i say take them you only live once.

I'm not a teacher, but in my experiences in high school, college, and grad school my teachers/profs taught more after spring break than before it. More projects, more homework, more everything to make sure they got everything in that needed to be taught before finals!

ladycruiser07,

As a Mathematics teacher in New York State, I adhere to New York State curriculum which mandates that I prepare my seventh grade students for 8th grade Mathematics. We have specific post-test topics that must be covered.

As for the op, I have taught for many years and I've seen many parents take their students on vacation during non-scheduled vacation dates. While I do not approve of this, I've learned over the years that everyone has different circumstances that necessitate different vacation dates. I can deal with it because I care about my students- it's not their fault. I do what I can to get them caught up and I have never had a student who did not do so. Besides, I get to hear first-hand some of the wonderful places they have visited.

Two more cans of worms.

Homeschooling IMO is irresponsible.

:rolleyes: So are you saying leave it up to them?

While I think home-schooling parents are the biggest masochists walking the face of this Earth, I support their right to home-school their kids, provided it is done with the supervision of the local school district.

As far as the OP's question, I am not sure why you would want to do this... not only are your kids missing school but the cruise will be boring to them with no other kids... just a bunch of adults who probably chose this cruise on purpose because it was during a low-kid-traffiic season ;) Why would you want your kids to be the only ones there?

While I think home-schooling parents are the biggest masochists walking the face of this Earth, I support their right to home-school their kids, provided it is done with the supervision of the local school district.

As far as the OP's question, I am not sure why you would want to do this... not only are your kids missing school but the cruise will be boring to them with no other kids... just a bunch of adults who probably chose this cruise on purpose because it was during a low-kid-traffiic season ;) Why would you want your kids to be the only ones there?

i believe the OP already stated she had changed her mind. but, had to address your post. what's your basis of fact for this statement? there are times where the kids are at a low, but there are usually kids on every sailing.

you have only cruised one time and you have made this statement. yet, if i am not mistaken, there are areas of the country whose school calendars are different. for example, i believe in fla school starts in august and ends in may. other areas of the country may also end b/4 the last week of june. thus, you cannot say w/ certainty that there wld not be other high school students on that trip.

Archived