Does Anyone Think Pulling My Kids Out For 8 Days Is To Long?

t968

As an ex-teacher the answer is No No No. It was always such a problem trying to get children who were on holiday caught up with what they missed. Sometimes they never did. If you can't afford to take them other than in term time I would wait until you can. We never had a termtime holiday until we retired and my children never missed school.

This thread is ridiculous. How many times can you go back and forth on the same issue.

You know what they say about opinions!

Enough already. Every few months this same question is posted and the same thing happens.

Where's the post police? Enough!!

Every kid is different. Every situation is different. Factors include grade of children, how far the children are ahead or behind, flexibility of parent schedules, cooperation of teachere and schools while students are out, etc. I cringe when I read something is NEVER right as if that teacher or parent knows how the best way to raise SOMEBODY ELSE'S kid. The same can be said for opinions on homeschooling. That depends on the skills of the parent and the public school system that child would be in. You could carry all of the negative posts to an extreme. I ask those say parents are not responsible for pulling any kid out of school at any time: Are those parents also irresponsible for sending their children to public schools when there are better private schools available? After all, as you say, it's just money? Are parents prioritizing money over their children by sending their children to public schools when there are superior options? Lastly, I am still trying to figure out what this thread is doing on a Carnival board and not some educational or parenting forum somewhere in cyberspace.

This thread is ridiculous. How many times can you go back and forth on the same issue.

You know what they say about opinions!

Enough already. Every few months this same question is posted and the same thing happens.

Where's the post police? Enough!!

I agree!

Seems most are taking education for granted. I'm pretty sure that every State hs laws that guarentees children an education regardless what the parent want or think. How well it's enforced is another issue. There are always people like StewartLittle that squirm their little ways thru the system and try to pretend that it's the norm... like we are really suppose to believe that a child from this person actually has an IQ that is achievable of a High School education.

For any parent to take away the privilage of learning, be it public or private, should be a felony.

And spare everyone your thought on how a cruise is a learning experience... I take craps that smell better then that story.

Venture_Man

Are we a bit jealous? Just because you have difficulty learning and/or understanding the supposedly difficult subjects in High School, doen't mean others suffer from the same disability. There are those that can grasp the concepts and subject matter without having their hand held every second of the day. Perhaps that is why our district has never had a problem with the requests we have made.

Don't take it too hard though V_M. I'm sure you're very much appreciated by those around you. We all need our "special little person" to feel sorry for. :D

Wait, So what about people who homeschool their children? if they take a break and their children don't do lessons for a week, are they irresponsible? Are they ruining their childrens' futures? Not necessarily in regards to the OP's question of taking kids out of school, but lessons in general. I whole-heartedly believe that if the children want to learn, if they are curious, they'll ask questions.

First of all, 90% of parents who homeschool are not qualified to do so. That said, THEY are in control of lessons, exams, etc. and therefore can create a school schedule to their liking. To disrupt the planned flow of things in a public or private school is to be ignorant of the fact that they are taking EXTRA time off school when STANDARD time off is already available. It places a burden on the entire educational process and teachers, whether you want to believe it or not.

To the posters who insist that cruising is "more" educational than sitting in school with a credentialed teacher: Give me a BREAK already! On OP's itinerary, I highly doubt that anything more than a standard 1/2 hour tour of a fort in SJU is even in the works for "education". Now, if they were to spend the day in a SJU school learning FIRST HAND what life is like for the kids in SJU and learning the history of the island, it might be "educational". If they researched ahead of time to donate their time on the island to one of the island's causes, it might be "educational". But FOUR DAYS AT SEA???? NOPE! NOT educational in the least.

Finally, to the parents who are slamming their school systems and complaining about how poor the education TRULY is in them... here's a suggestion:

Use your VACATION money to afford a better education for your child! Either hire tutors to expand the learning Junior already gets or pay tuition for a superior option to what you already have going.

VACATIONS are LUXURIES. Educations are NECESSITIES. If your kid is learning more on a cruise than in a classroom, you should be sailing 52 weeks a year for Junior to have such superior education than what is available at home.

And why on earth would any of you seem to think a teacher should have to spend extra (unpaid) time and screw with their schedule and progress in the classroom to accommodate your vacation? How would you like it if your boss said "I'm going on vacation next week... I need you to spend your entire weekend preparing my kids' lessons, exams, etc. before I go"?

Selfish and irresponsible is all I can say. Travel when kids are on break. The "education" of a Fun Day at Sea is not even comparable to a day in school. I have YET to see a parent actually educating their kids on a ship (hell, they barely even SUPERVISE them, let alone EDUCATE them!). And if your kid is getting an inferior education in your opinion, skip the vacations and make sure they are better educated.

First of all, I am almost afraid to answer because of how much I might get attacked on this site. I have not read any of these threads in full but here is my answer to the question:

My family just got off an 8 Day cruise with Carnivals Liberty. We took all 5 of our children with us as it was our 25th Anniversary. 2 of those are still in school. I informed the school at the beginning of the school year that we would be pulling the kids out of school at this time. I also reminded the teachers thru out the school year at Parent teacher meetings. The boys were able to work ahead for that 2 weeks that they would be gone. they have been back to school for 4 days now and neither one has come home with any more homework then usual. Our oldest one in school will be graduating next Saturday as Salutatorian. It was a wonderful time for the family. We have no regrets about pulling them out of school. Just be up front with the school. Hope this helps.

Robin

For all you who think this cruise would be a learning experience for this poster's kids... read his or her other posts. It's quite evident the whole freaking family needs to be in school and more than likely would ride the short bus to it. They won't learn much on a cruise with this mom or dad other than how to use a fake ID, how to chug a beer and how to play hookie to save $100. Cultural experiences require one to have a tad of culture in the first place. Such is sorely lacking here.

I'm sure there are those who can make a cruise into a learning experience. Seriously doubt a lot of us do. Especially when they're considered vacations.

And where the smack are you people sending your kids to school that they're not learning anything in EIGHT days?

First of all, I am almost afraid to answer because of how much I might get attacked on this site. I have not read any of these threads in full but here is my answer to the question:

My family just got off an 8 Day cruise with Carnivals Liberty. We took all 5 of our children with us as it was our 25th Anniversary. 2 of those are still in school. I informed the school at the beginning of the school year that we would be pulling the kids out of school at this time. I also reminded the teachers thru out the school year at Parent teacher meetings. The boys were able to work ahead for that 2 weeks that they would be gone. they have been back to school for 4 days now and neither one has come home with any more homework then usual. Our oldest one in school will be graduating next Saturday as Salutatorian. It was a wonderful time for the family. We have no regrets about pulling them out of school. Just be up front with the school. Hope this helps.

Robin

1. Do you really think that "informing" the school ahead of time takes the prep work for the teachers off their back? NOPE! Whether you "give notice" or not, you are disrupting their schedule for the sake of yours.

2. Other than anniversary, you give no explanation as to why you would take kids out of school just a few weeks before the end of term (for TWO WEEKS!) when you could have just as easily scheduled the trip for week after next Saturday's graduation.

After 25 years, certainly a vacation to celebrate your anniversary doesn't have to be ON your anniversary! After all, quality family time is valuable at the end of May just as it is valuable at the beginning of May, right? Does it provide "more" quality to go on a specific date or is the quality the same on any date?

You should be getting the names of every single tax payer in your district and sending them each the money of theirs that you WASTED on your kids' educations that they didn't get. Then, you should cut a few checks to all of their teachers who had to accommodate your vacation on their own time.

If we start all this "tax refund" nonsense, lets be certain we address every wasted dollar, not just the ones you perceive to be wasted.

As for causing extra work for the teachers, I don't really see it. You're telling me they have no lesson plan a few days to week before planning to present it? Perhaps those teachers that are so far behind need to take a look at their time management. I would hope they have a plan on what to teach the children as outlined by their district/state.

As for causing extra work for the teachers, I don't really see it. You're telling me they have no lesson plan a few days to week before planning to present it?

I think one issue may be the teacher may not want to give the same exam?

I think one issue may be the teacher may not want to give the same exam?

So mix it up a bit. It can't be that difficult. We're not asking him/her to reinvent the wheel are we? :confused: The teacher should have multiple tests prepared already. The kids who take the test during first period are already providing information to those taking it later in the day anyway. :eek: :rolleyes:

If we start all this "tax refund" nonsense, lets be certain we address every wasted dollar, not just the ones you perceive to be wasted.

As for causing extra work for the teachers, I don't really see it. You're telling me they have no lesson plan a few days to week before planning to present it? Perhaps those teachers that are so far behind need to take a look at their time management. I would hope they have a plan on what to teach the children as outlined by their district/state.

We already ask our teachers to educate our children, as well as these days be counselors, in many cases they are the sole male/female figure in many of the childrens lives... they have to now be wardens in a sense, and make sure children actually learn something amidst all the chaos that is todays school, including planning and implementing the instruction, lesson plans, a program of study that meets all requirements, making sure the classroom environment is conducive to learning, encourage student enthusiasm, progress and interim reports, recognize any learning problems or disabilities, curriculum development, classroom management, protect students (yes, it is now in most job descriptions now), supervision of students in all areas of the school...not to mention public relations, upholding and enforcing board policy, administrative procedures, school rules, etc, Working with parents to strengthen the educational program through parent/teacher meetings, continue professional growth through seminars, workshops, etc (generally done on their own time), staff, department and committee meetings... student evaluation (through testing), and now the confidentiality laws they have to deal with. Now they have to deal with the NCLB act, which adds to their workload... every teacher I know works WELL into the evening and weekends JUST on workload and planning... ANY curve thrown to them adds to that... yet you can understand why they might not be able to find the time??? You realize that they are teaching most of the day, and everything else is done in their off time... have you seen their wages??? Walk a mile in their shoes before you start questioning what they do and don't have time to do.

Exactly. I work in Social Services, don't even talk to me about wasted tax dollars.

It is my understanding that if kids have an UNEXCUSED absence, that the school cannot collect tax dollars for the child that day, anyway. So don't worry, your tax dollars aren't paying for kids that aren't there.

Lucy, I agree with your last post. This is why I ask the teachers to just keep the missed work together in a seperate folder, WHILE my child is out of school, and give it to us when we return. This way, the teacher doesn't have to go out of their way to prepare the material ahead of time, all they have to do is set the assignments aside, then it's up to me as the parent to make sure that work is completed IMMEDIATELY, and that my child has a firm grasp of the missed material.

wow. i can't believe some of the replies on this thread, especially from the teachers. at this point it seems that most of the teachers who replied are just pissed off about the inconvenience it may cause them, as opposed to actually caring if the absence will have a detrimental impact on the student.

somehow, i'm thinking the student will survive an absence unscathed, unless of course they happen to be a very poor student to begin with. and, if that is the case, they should not miss any classes, illness included. LOL.

and BTW, the OP, is way out there in her thinking. not entirely convinced that she's a troll, i just think she's of a different mindset. after all, the OP is the parent who wanted to go bar hoping w/ her underaged kids and wanted to know if her son (in particular) who was over 6', wld be safe from being carded due to his stature. :rolleyes: clouded judgment? the source speaks for itself.

Lucy, I agree with your last post. This is why I ask the teachers to just keep the missed work together in a seperate folder, WHILE my child is out of school, and give it to us when we return. This way, the teacher doesn't have to go out of their way to prepare the material ahead of time, all they have to do is set the assignments aside, then it's up to me as the parent to make sure that work is completed IMMEDIATELY, and that my child has a firm grasp of the missed material.

That is nice of you, and I am sure appreciated by the teachers... but ultimately, it is still the teachers responsibility to make sure the work is completed and that the child has a grasp on the material... but it is good to know that there are some parents that take that responsibility and don't expect the teacher to take the time to do it (there are some on this board that have stated they expect the teacher to do that... blows me away!!!!!!!), but any good teacher WILL, regardless of the circumstances... they will take their own time to make sure the child is caught up and doesn't lag behind (this only creates problems for the rest of the class, so it is in their best interest, but still...) I think too many people expect everything of the teachers, yet not giving them the respect they deserve at the same time... I'm not shocked that more and more people are leaving the profession as our society sweeps them a little further under the rug. I see friends that were so enthusiastic about become a teacher when we graduated, and I would say 80% of them are no longer teachers.... they definitely don't do it for the money, but the variables they have to deal with are quite overbearing.

Sorry to come to this little party late.. but want to toss in my two cents worth..

8 days in May... I wouldn't do that to my kids.. If you want to take them out, then what about after the first week back in school after the christmas break.. Early enough in the grading period, where they can make up the work, and in the cheap ticket time..

May is just too busy.. IMHO

You asked..

wow. i can't believe some of the replies on this thread, especially from the teachers. at this point it seems that most of the teachers who replied are just pissed off about the inconvenience it may cause them, as opposed to actually caring if the absence will have a detrimental impact on the student.

somehow, i'm thinking the student will survive an absence unscathed, unless of course they happen to be a very poor student to begin with. and, if that is the case, they should not miss any classes, illness included. LOL.

and BTW, the OP, is way out there in her thinking. not entirely convinced that she's a troll, i just think she's of a different mindset. after all, the OP is the parent who wanted to go bar hoping w/ her underaged kids and wanted to know if her son (in particular) who was over 6', wld be safe from being carded due to his stature. :rolleyes: clouded judgment? the source speaks for itself.

I would have to disagree, primarily because many kids that miss final exam prep, or any of the end of year testing, could very well fail their grade... I was a very good AP student, but I took full advantage of every second of prep, especially senior year... those scores are closely looked at, and regardless of how good you are as a student, testing can be challenging. If we were talking about anything other than a junior/senior during the last few weeks of the school year, I would agree with you... but I watched as one of our seniors, who had received full scholarship, blew it all by doing poorly on his exams... I cannot even imagine!!! It's taken pretty seriously, and should be taken JUST as seriously by the parents. I can't imagine having missed any time during those crucial weeks.

We already ask our teachers to educate our children, as well as these days be counselors, in many cases they are the sole male/female figure in many of the childrens lives... they have to now be wardens in a sense, and make sure children actually learn something amidst all the chaos that is todays school, including planning and implementing the instruction, lesson plans, a program of study that meets all requirements, making sure the classroom environment is conducive to learning, encourage student enthusiasm, progress and interim reports, recognize any learning problems or disabilities, curriculum development, classroom management, protect students (yes, it is now in most job descriptions now), supervision of students in all areas of the school...not to mention public relations, upholding and enforcing board policy, administrative procedures, school rules, etc, Working with parents to strengthen the educational program through parent/teacher meetings, continue professional growth through seminars, workshops, etc (generally done on their own time), staff, department and committee meetings... student evaluation (through testing), and now the confidentiality laws they have to deal with. Now they have to deal with the NCLB act, which adds to their workload... every teacher I know works WELL into the evening and weekends JUST on workload and planning... ANY curve thrown to them adds to that... yet you can understand why they might not be able to find the time??? You realize that they are teaching most of the day, and everything else is done in their off time... have you seen their wages??? Walk a mile in their shoes before you start questioning what they do and don't have time to do.

I don't expect them to make sure my child learns the material presented while they're away....that is my job. But I do not find it unreasonable to request the assignments ahead of time, especially if sufficient notice is provided requesting it. It has never been a problem for me. Some of the teachers even gave assignments that related to the places to be visited and my child had to come back and give their written report and a presentation to the class (this was form the one in grammar school), in addition to doing the work missed while away.

Not all teachers are frustrated with their jobs or find it a pain to provide the assignments ahead of time. Some actually enjoy their professions and can make a missed week of school a fun part of learning something the child (and his classmates) may not have learned otherwise. I'm not saying its the norm, but it can be done and be a valuable experience for all.

That's what I am reading from the little that I have read so far. Inconvenience for the teachers and parents. Anyone ever think about the kids:confused:

I would have to disagree, primarily because many kids that miss final exam prep, or any of the end of year testing, could very well fail their grade... I was a very good AP student, but I took full advantage of every second of prep, especially senior year... those scores are closely looked at, and regardless of how good you are as a student, testing can be challenging. If we were talking about anything other than a junior/senior during the last few weeks of the school year, I would agree with you... but I watched as one of our seniors, who had received full scholarship, blew it all by doing poorly on his exams... I cannot even imagine!!! It's taken pretty seriously, and should be taken JUST as seriously by the parents. I can't imagine having missed any time during those crucial weeks.

i really wasn't disagreeing w/ the end of the year argument (or even the 8 days -- that's a bit long for the caribbean, as opposed to getting a once in a lifetime experience in europe or such). hey, i'm missing Freedom for All b/c NYS mandatory testing for "No Child Left Behind" is occurring during that cruise. (i'm bummed about that...:(), but not stupid enough to take them out. and, even though they can make them up the following week, i'm just not comfortable w/ doing it during that time. to me, it wld be wrong. but, that's me. the OP, well that's a different story altogether, i think.

i also agree w/ you in the sense that better judgment shld be used by all, esp. at year end w/ finals nearing or in the OP's case, actually occurring.

no one knows if their child can afford to miss some days better than the parent and teacher. to ask us is just silly.

but the "don't you dare inconvenience me" intimations put forth by some on this thread were a little selfish, i thought.

I don't expect them to make sure my child learns the material presented while they're away....that is my job. But I do not find it unreasonable to request the assignments ahead of time, especially if sufficient notice is provided requesting it. It has never been a problem for me. Some of the teachers even gave assignments that related to the places to be visited and my child had to come back and give their written report and a presentation to the class (this was form the one in grammar school), in addition to doing the work missed while away.

Not all teachers are frustrated with their jobs or find it a pain to provide the assignments ahead of time. Some actually enjoy their professions and can make a missed week of school a fun part of learning something the child (and his classmates) may not have learned otherwise. I'm not saying its the norm, but it can be done and be a valuable experience for all.

we aren't even allowed to get the work early. the absence is completely illegal, and the giving of work beforehand is strictly prohibited by the district. the work is set aside, and they are expected to complete it, on their own, w/in a reasonable amt of time upon their return.

we aren't even allowed to get the work early. the absence is completely illegal, and the giving of work beforehand is strictly prohibited by the district. the work is set aside, and they are expected to complete it, on their own, w/in a reasonable amt of time upon their return.

Each state/district is different. We are lucky to live in one that is willing to work with us. Perhaps because it's a small community where we all pretty much know each other.

Your post presents another valid reason to leave this up to the parent/teacher. Every situation is different, from the laws, to the child. Those closest to the situation are the only ones in a position to make the call.

I'm sorry but this should not be left up to the parent/teacher at all. One teacher may think taking a month off would be ok but another might not think one day is ok. It wouldn't be fair. This is up to the State and Government to set the standards. There are a certain amount of days a child has to be in class per school year no matter what. I took my child out 1 day for a dentist appointment, sent a note to school and he still was given an unexcused absence because I didn't send a doctors note, even though it was the only day he missed all year. I've seen on the news that soldiers on leave want to take their kids out for 2 weeks to visit and the children were given unexcused absenses.

But this board has already thought of the answer. Lets shut down all our "crappy" schools, put these "selfish horrible teachers" out of work and send our kids on a cruise for 9 months since they'll learn more that way anyways.:cool:

Archived