Does Anyone Think Pulling My Kids Out For 8 Days Is To Long?

t968

The flaw in this approach is that Parents are not going to do it... heck... I bet most people have never heard of such programs existing, let alone jump through the hoops to make it work.

Face it... parents yank their children out of school because of selfish reasons... be it cheaper cruise or vacation prices (probably the most likely reason) or due to a family/personal function the parents want to attend, but can't if they leave their kids in school.

To be honest, there aren't many, if any hoops to jump through. A simple call to the school well in advance. A contract signed by both the student and the parent outlining their responsibilities and the repercussions if not met. A few days before leaving, teachers give out assigned work while out.

Really quite simple. Hardest part was for my DD to stay committed to doing the work. But with my reinforcement and assistance when needed, it was no big deal.

BTW, she gradutes end of this month with a 4.5 gpa. Not bad for having such an irresponsible parent. :eek: :rolleyes:

Speaking as a parent, who is also a teacher, kids need to be in school. I have a 16 your old and we have been on three cruises and he has never missed a day of school for a vacation. I can't buy the argument that you can't afford to go in the summer. Either tighten that belt a little more, or reduce the number of days you are on the cruise. Actually, kids missing days from my class didn't burn me near as much as parents who expected me to put together a full week work for them so that they were "caught-up" when they returned. The expectation was for me to work harder so that they could play. Didn't fly for me. I refused to give homework up-front for kids going on a vacation. They did the same work as the others when they returned. Don't make your kids' teacher work harder so that you can save a few bucks by crusing during the school year rather than in the summer.

Since you asked.

What are you teaching your children? That fun and vacation is more important than school? Do you want your kids to grow up to be responsible adults?

Remember the story about the ant and the grass hopper?

Your kids have all summer to enjoy vacation AFTER SCHOOL IS OUT.

A cruise as a graduation gift if fine after the school work and finals are complete and school is actually over.

In the end you are the parent and only you can decide what is best.

I personally think it depends on the child. My parents took us out to go to DW when we were 12 & 9. It was really nothing to miss five days of school. I missed days of school in HS for trips too. I also graduated with a 3.89 GPA/honors. If I had not had the grades I had I would never have been taken out of school.

Children belong in school during the school year, not on a cruise. Children (most, anyway) have all summer long to do what they please. It's a built-in two month vacation. Missing school for illness, death in the family, things like that - that's one thing. But pulling kids out of school for a week at a time so they can go on a cruise is irresponsible and sends the wrong message to them about where your priorities lie.
I totally agree. I'd see it as more OK for younger kids but by the time they get to high school I think it's irresponsible. Pulling them out sends the message that it's OK to just miss responsibilities because your parents said so.
Sometimes life experinces are more presious than those taught in a school. They learn differnet cultures meet new friends and most importanly gets to spend time with their family wich in thease days are sometimes not as easy as it once was.
They can indeed learn the life experiences on a cruise. But I'd say they should learn it during summer, winter or spring break.

Sometimes life experinces are more presious than those taught in a school. They learn differnet cultures meet new friends and most importanly gets to spend time with their family wich in thease days are sometimes not as easy as it once was.

steph

Oh, God.

Who kneeds skuul?

My parents were never irresponsible enough to take their 4 kids out of school for vacation reasons, especially since there is summer vacation, spring break, and Christmas holiday time off. Education is a much higher value than any cruise there is no amount of learning on a cruise during the school year that could make up for missing class. BTW, we were all fantastic kids who made awesome grades and probably could've missed school and been fine. It was the point and it was our responsibility to attend classes and our parents responsibility to instill those values.

That being said, I don't have kids of my own, but none of my siblings would ever dream of doing this either.

My personal opinion is that it is never justified to choose vacation over school when there are so many options available.

My parents were never irresponsible enough to take their 4 kids out of school for vacation reasons, especially since there is summer vacation, spring break, and Christmas holiday time off. Education is a much higher value than any cruise there is no amount of learning on a cruise during the school year that could make up for missing class. BTW, we were all fantastic kids who made awesome grades and probably could've missed school and been fine. It was the point and it was our responsibility to attend classes and our parents responsibility to instill those values.

That being said, I don't have kids of my own, but none of my siblings would ever dream of doing this either.

My personal opinion is that it is never justified to choose vacation over school when there are so many options available.

Too bad for you. Perhaps if they had, you wouldn't be so quick to think others are irresponsible. Maybe you and your family could have benefited from seeing things from another point of view...ya know, realizing that their way isn't ALWAYS the only way. There is more than one way to skin a cat ya know. :rolleyes:

We just came back from an eight day cruise with my daughter who is in grade seven..I have no problem with them missing a week of school. We do it every year. It's a learning experience in itself. They are only young once....Go for it, they will LOVE IT.....

PS...It's not irresponsible at all....

We just came back from an eight day cruise with my daughter who is in grade seven..I have no problem with them missing a week of school. We do it every year. It's a learning experience in itself. They are only young once....Go for it, they will LOVE IT.....

PS...It's not irresponsible at all....

7th grade and a high school senior are different as day and night. If a high school senior missed something major because she went on a cruise, that could have ramifications that could last a lifetime. Don't get me wrong, everyone should try to enjoy life to the fullest, but this may be an inappropriate time for that.

OK, here I go.....

As an educator of 24 years, I do not agree with taking your child out of school for a cruise. For sickness, doctor's appts, death in the family, and maybe even a trip to historic Washington DC, taking your child out is a valid reason. Going on a cruise is not exactly a learning experience unless the curriculum is about snorkeling, eating and playing. Having children miss school is not only bad for the students, but also for the school. The district loses money every day for each child who is not in attendance. The student also loses valuable learning time. There's no way a student can learn the same information just by reading the book and doing an assignment as they can by participating in class discussions and listening to their teacher's thoughts and ideas. By taking them out of school to vacation, you are teaching them that play is more important than school. This applies to students who are in first grade or twelfth grade...the same theory should apply for all students.

7th grade and a high school senior are different as day and night. If a high school senior missed something major because she went on a cruise, that could have ramifications that could last a lifetime. Don't get me wrong, everyone should try to enjoy life to the fullest, but this may be an inappropriate time for that.

What are they going to miss in high school in a week that will follow them the rest of their lives? Not get into Harvard?

Good lord, its only a week. It's not going to ruin their lives and condemn them to being destitute forever. :eek: :rolleyes:

What are they going to miss in high school in a week that will follow them the rest of their lives? Not get into Harvard?

Good lord, its only a week. It's not going to ruin their lives and condemn them to being destitute forever. :eek: :rolleyes:

I just think it that people are being too rash saying it is irresponsible or not. Maybe for the OP, her kids will be doing nothing that week in school and then I really have to question their school system. If a student missed a week of school where there may have been a final exam or term paper due, it would stink for them to have to go to summer school to make it up or repeat the 12th grade again. I think that would make a difference. Where I went to school, if I missed a week in May, it would be very hard to recover from.

I just think it that people are being too rash saying it is irresponsible or not. Maybe for the OP, her kids will be doing nothing that week in school and then I really have to question their school system. If a student missed a week of school where there may have been a final exam or term paper due, it would stink for them to have to go to summer school to make it up or repeat the 12th grade again. I think that would make a difference. Where I went to school, if I missed a week in May, it would be very hard to recover from.

Doesn't it depend if it's high school or second grade? Doesn't it also depend on how students are doing in school (ahead or behind) All circumstances and all kids are different. Okay, back to the morality play.

I traveled around the world with my parents & missed a lot of school. I typically missed the last few days, the entire summer & the first month of school (Sept.). The education I received was invaluable & I did go to college. I was very lucky to be able to do this. However, times have changed. I am now a 63 yr. old grandma. My grandkids are far ahead of what I was learning at their age & when they do miss a day or two, they have a lot of catching up to do. Their parents would never allow me to take them out of school for a vacation & I respect that. Thanks to my parents, I caught the travel bug & am still on the road (or sea) all the time. Now my grandkids (ages 10-14) are old enough to travel with me but it's always during their vacation. My vote for this one? No.

Too bad for you. Perhaps if they had, you wouldn't be so quick to think others are irresponsible. Maybe you and your family could have benefited from seeing things from another point of view...ya know, realizing that their way isn't ALWAYS the only way. There is more than one way to skin a cat ya know. :rolleyes:

I had and still have a great life!! But, thanks for your concern :) We always considered other's POV, however, there is absolutely no justification in choosing a vacation over school. We're talking about folks that have choices when they travel and are choosing to think that a vacation is more important than a structured education. We can argue and give facts and excuses and opinions all day long, but I will never see choosing something over education as responsible. The OP is obviously concerned and torn over this issue or it wouldn't have been posted numerous times, so my opinions are solely for the OP. He/She can take them for what they are.

I teach high school and today I just found out that one of my students is missing the week of finals for a vacation and wants to take his early. What a pain in my behind! Exams are supposed to be after Memorial Day weekend - guess when I planned to write that exam? This student is going with his brother and girlfriend; each student has at least 7 teachers so 21 teachers (that's about 1/2 our staff) are put in the position of having to go out of our way to get these finals ready. Am I happy and understanding that family time comes first - in a word - no! I am one of those obnoxious teachers that teaches to the bitter end. We will have tests/projects/labs up until school ends. I don't take the last week off to kick back and wind down and I don't expect my students to either.

Kris

I had and still have a great life!! But, thanks for your concern :) We always considered other's POV, however, there is absolutely no justification in choosing a vacation over school. We're talking about folks that have choices when they travel and are choosing to think that a vacation is more important than a structured education. We can argue and give facts and excuses and opinions all day long, but I will never see choosing something over education as responsible. The OP is obviously concerned and torn over this issue or it wouldn't have been posted numerous times, so my opinions are solely for the OP. He/She can take them for what they are.

Absolutely NO JUSTIFICATION? EVER? NEVER EVER? :rolleyes:

Are you certain you "always considered other's POV"? You appear a little set in your ways on this one. :eek: :D

I teach high school and today I just found out that one of my students is missing the week of finals for a vacation and wants to take his early. What a pain in my behind! Exams are supposed to be after Memorial Day weekend - guess when I planned to write that exam? This student is going with his brother and girlfriend; each student has at least 7 teachers so 21 teachers (that's about 1/2 our staff) are put in the position of having to go out of our way to get these finals ready. Am I happy and understanding that family time comes first - in a word - no! I am one of those obnoxious teachers that teaches to the bitter end. We will have tests/projects/labs up until school ends. I don't take the last week off to kick back and wind down and I don't expect my students to either.

Kris

Well Kris, unfortunately you're gonna have to work a little harder before your summer vacation comes about. I'm not happy either when unexpected deadlines come my way. But, we all have to just roll up our sleeves and "get er done". ;)

My son is a high school senior and there are LOTS of things going on right now, both academically and socially. I wouldn't take him out of school for a vacation; just not worth it. We took the kids out of school a few times when they were younger, but not after they entered high school. Even if the teachers offered independent study (our school doesn't allow it in high school), the student would still miss lecture and instruction time. Not everything is covered in a book -- it's not that easy to make up missed work (even if they are excellent students;) ). A couple of years ago, we took a cruise right after school got out; yes, it was more expensive than if we went in May, but there are other ways to save money and make it happen (we booked inside cabins!:eek: )

Well Kris, unfortunately you're gonna have to work a little harder before your summer vacation comes about. I'm not happy either when unexpected deadlines come my way. But, we all have to just roll up our sleeves and "get er done". ;)

Or the kid gets a "0" on his finals; that's what would happen in my son's school. ;)

My DD is a senior now and she wouldn't want to miss. She is in AP classes and all of those tests are NATIONAL testing days. There are no makeups for those. Also, she just had prom on May 5th and would of missed that too. She has projects, papers, tests, etc. all leading up to finals the week of May 14th - she is done May 18th. You really need to see when graduation is next year, if your child is in AP classes, etc. but I wouldn't advise it at their age and at that time of year. I've done it before, but my kids were in 4th grade and younger then. Wouldn't dare do it now.

You must also take into account the fact that teachers, principals, guidance counselors, and superintendents are scared to death of parents. The students all know this. The education community will agree to anything you want them to. My DW is quitting teaching 7th grade this year because of the lack of backbone by school officials. Let's face it, you're going to do what you want. You are just looking for support for your plan, but you don't need it. ;)

This may be the belief that you have of the school/district where your wife works, but that is an unfair blanketed statement to place on the education profession. I am an assistant principal and have denied absences (made them unexcused) for various reasons. As a matter of fact a student was out this year at Disney World for over a week and it was unexcused.

The bottom line for me is that I could not do my job with fear in my heart for any parents. My job is to be an instructional leader and to SUPPORT both parents and teachers alike, not enable them when I believe either party is wrong.

I am sorry that your wife feels she has to leave the profession. I don't know if another district is an option for her or not. For me education is a rewarding profession and I hate that things did not work out.

I just think it that people are being too rash saying it is irresponsible or not. Maybe for the OP, her kids will be doing nothing that week in school and then I really have to question their school system.

HELLO IS ANY ONE PAYING ATTENTION. The op starts these than sits back laughing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnivalcruisejunkie viewpost.gif

Wow, third time the OP has asked a question about taking kids out of school. :cool:

Or trying to get drinks for under age son.

My son is will be 17 he looks 18 or 19 well over 6 foot.. Do they i.d?

is it strictly enforeced?

Is op even an adult or can we say troll?

Absolutely NO JUSTIFICATION? EVER? NEVER EVER? :rolleyes:

Are you certain you "always considered other's POV"? You appear a little set in your ways on this one. :eek: :D

Never Ever would be absolutely correct when it comes to an optional vacation (which vacations are just that)... Considering other's POV's and changing my mind about how I feel and what is right/wrong are 2 different things. Are they not??

Archived