Does Anyone Think Pulling My Kids Out For 8 Days Is To Long?

t968

If this is a vote then I vote NO. I have three kids and I believe school comes first. I also believe it would set a bad example in how they set their prioirities in the future. But that's my opinion and I would never bash you if you choose to do so.

Lucy - we'll just have to agree to disagree. And as for the OP...have you noticed they have been MIA since starting this 7 pages ago? :rolleyes:

It's just not worth any more of my time. :)

Oh yeah, there is no question about it... we've been duped!!!! :p

You better check with your local government - in some places it is now against the law to take your kids out of school for vacations.

Personally, my parents took us out every year at spring break for an extra two weeks and we all turned out just fine! lol

However my senior year - on teacher gave me an F for that grading period. All A's and one F took my average to a C.

Hey CC Good Afternoon, I'm interested in the 8 day carribbean cruise on the Carnival Miracle For May 1st,2008 i'm wondering do you think pulling my kids out of school for 8 days is too long? It's techinally 7 days out of school one is going to be a senior and ones going to be a junior it's going to be the seniors graduation gift and just thought it would be better because it's cheaper in may; as my daughter wants to bring 2 of her friends!!

Any opinions on the ship is greatly appericated also!

Thanks

I would check out prom dates and other senior things going on in May first.

It's the end of the school year, not much going on. Most of the work is review of the year.

I just had to add my two cents to this thread.

OP - consider the following:

Will your child miss exams either AP or IB? Those testing dates are set in stone, can't change them. (High Scores on these exam will allow you to earn college credit.)

In Charlotte NC schools - early May is hectic, trying to cover all objectives, reviewing material from August and September, preparing students for the multitude of State and Local exams. (If you don't pass 'gateway' exams you may be retained or attending summer school!)

In Charlotte schools, students are permitted to miss only a certain number of days - both excused and unexcused. Once you miss more than 13 day (middle school), you have recovery time - must make up the clock hours. Will there be enough time left in the school year?

Senior year - lots of special activities just for seniors. Is your child willing to miss them? What about their friends?

Consider your students Grade Point, can they afford a F or Zero if they are not permitted to make up the work?

Some 'teaching moments' cannot be replicated outside of the classroom. My students will participate in a Socratic seminar next week on the Ramification of Digital downloads. Being in class exposes students to other view points, additional information, and other learning experiences that can't be repeated/replaced.

One poster seemed to believe that missing time at the end of the senior year would not be a possible life changing situation. It could be, I knew of a student who 'goofed off', did not turn in a project and failed the class. Had to repeat the class during summer school (cost parents $$) and lost their partial scholarship.

My two DDs are in currently in college. We did vacation one time during the school year - October when they were in elementary school. Knowing how much school work is required in HS, I would not have them miss 8 days.

As another poster said - OP you will have to make up your own mind.

Seems most are taking education for granted. I'm pretty sure that every State hs laws that guarentees children an education regardless what the parent want or think. How well it's enforced is another issue. There are always people like StewartLittle that squirm their little ways thru the system and try to pretend that it's the norm... like we are really suppose to believe that a child from this person actually has an IQ that is achievable of a High School education.

For any parent to take away the privilage of learning, be it public or private, should be a felony.

And spare everyone your thought on how a cruise is a learning experience... I take craps that smell better then that story.

I had to add this little story to this thread. It seemed appropriate.

My 11 year old DS knows we're in the process of booking a cruise for the family. He seemed very excited about it, but you know what the first thing he asked me was? "Mom, I'm not going to miss school, am I? I shouldn't skip school to go on vacation so can you make sure we go on a school break, please?" I told him we had already planned on doing that and he replied, "Good, because you're always harping on me about how important school is. You'd sort of be a liar about it if you thought a vacation was a good reason to miss school."

I was so proud of him for having his priorities straight. I guess I did something right! :)

These questions are pointless because (1) They are going to do what they want to do anyway. and (2) Everything is relative. Everything depends on a number of variables that none of us know about.

When I see questions like these I cringe. :) Especially when the OP goes mia.

Hey CC Good Afternoon, I'm interested in the 8 day carribbean cruise on the Carnival Miracle For May 1st,2008 i'm wondering do you think pulling my kids out of school for 8 days is too long? It's techinally 7 days out of school one is going to be a senior and ones going to be a junior it's going to be the seniors graduation gift and just thought it would be better because it's cheaper in may; as my daughter wants to bring 2 of her friends!!

Any opinions on the ship is greatly appericated also!

Thanks

As "Larry the Cable Guy" would say......

"I don't care where you're from, that's funny..""

You want to pull the kids out of school for a few hundred dollars it will cost you a month later.........:confused:

NEWS FLASH: Swimming with the stingrays, shopping excursions, a day at the beach, cave tubing, hiking falls, Fun Days at Sea, etc. are NOT "cultural learning experiences"!!! Good grief! Do you who think a cruise is a "learning experience" really think that a few hours in some port is more important education than being in school given the standard options of land activities? Are the little darlings doing any kind of meaningful work while in port which educates and enhances their character? My guess is NO... they are snorkeling.

NEWS FLASH: Kids have time off from school (and PLENTY of it) during all four seasons. Figuring out a way to travel during those times shouldn't be that difficult. If it's a couple of hundred bucks more, so be it. PLAN for it. (Why would OP be paying for the friends to go???? I believe that was listed as a reason for the pricing issues. Why aren't the friends paying for themselves? If they can't afford it, they shouldn't go! This way, the "quality family time" can be had at more appropriate times!). Oh, and how much "quality family time" is going to be had with two friends along with the HS Senior? Sounds like the three seniors would be having their own brand of fun without alot of family bonding going on. After all, the friends aren't FAMILY!

I have no kids and yet pay for all the little darlings in the district to have an education. I EXPECT their parents to be grateful for the contribution, to take it seriously, and to make damn sure Junior is getting the most for MY hard earned dollar. That means going to his JOB every single day "work" is in session. Period. Junior is already getting plenty of time off from his "job". I am incensed that I am expected to pay for even MORE of it while he wastes my money that I paid for his education.

And, what are you teaching a child who gets paid time off (against the vacation policy)? That it's OK to shrug your obligations and duties for the sake of a vacation? Wow... you people are incredible to think you are instilling the best values in your little angels.

I don't give a crap if they are 6 or 16. If I am paying for them to be in school, where they SHOULD be, I expect them to not have parents trying to save a buck by WASTING one of mine.

Final thought: Do you really think an hour or two of doing assignments on a ship makes up for 6 hours of concerted education in the classroom? REALLY?

One time my mother let me take a day off of school. And now I'm a failure at life. It's a shame, really. ;) C'mon, I'm sure all cases are different. I do agree with the comment about using the extra money to cruise during days that incorporate vacation if you have the financial means to.

Final thought: Do you really think an hour or two of doing assignments on a ship makes up for 6 hours of concerted education in the classroom? REALLY?

I honestly believe that a child could learn more in two hours of self-directed learning than they could learn in six hours of normal classroom instruction. I volunteer for my mother's school district and I am horrified by the "teaching to the test" mentality, "the kids with behaviorial issues get the most attention" atmosphere and the multiple choice educational process. The students are no longer learning to form their own opinions. Cheating is rampant and grade-inflation is the norm. Anyone can read and memorize from a book. :rolleyes:

Of course, it isn't like that at my niece's elementary school. She attends an independent/progressive elementary school. They take numerous field experiences during the school week and they take a summer educational experience.

I have no kids and yet ..........

ihhk2,

You have no kids yet feel you pay the education of those who do? LMAO. Granted, you may pay taxes, but your taxes don't put a dent in the cost of educating children.

I'd say that experiences on a cruise FAR exceed the most 'concerted' classroom education.

Concerted education? Have you actually been in a classroom lately? My kids attend school 6 hours per day. My daughter is in a gifted program, which is supposed to focus more intensely on studying/learning. I'd guess that out of those 6 hours per day, they MOST actual instruction time they'd get in any given day is 2 hours. Alot of this time is spent on reviewing material that has already been learned, several times over, in preparation for state tests. If the kids already know it, it doesn't really do much to increase their knowledge. However, actually APPLYING the things they've learned while on a family vacation most definately enriches that knowledge, and enriches their lives. My daughter is learning about the Panama Canal, and guess where we are going in a few months? But I suppose the kids who are stuck in the classroom looking at pictures of the Panama Canal will grasp the knowledge even moreso. :confused:

We are leaving next week and took our Junior out a week early. We had planned this cruise in December and then he switched schools so we had to make arrangements with the school. Most of the teachers were cooperative and he is an excellent student. He is in the process of studying ahead and will take his finals early, if a final is required. One of his classes was Senior level so they were finishing up early anyway. He had an A and ended up making a B - was this because of everything he's having to do extra or would he have made a B anyway?

Four years ago we took a Junior and 8th grader out for a week and went to Disneyworld. The school was very supportive because of the educational experiences involved in traveling. It was not at a critical time, close to the spring break and the kids had to make up the work that they missed but again are both good students and it didn't affect their grades.

Some of it is how much school they miss normally. Here the kids can miss like 20 days a year (unexcused) with no penalty and my kids don't miss school for much of anything and any time they miss is excused because of doctor's visits.

As an alternative, you could give it as graduation present but wait and go in December. In college they get many more days off of school for the holidays. If he's going to work, he will still get vacation time and your adult children will be glad to go on vacation with you anytime, when you are willing to pay for it. This trip my daughter, 26, and son-in-law, 31, will be going with my 19 and 17 year old boys.

But I suppose the kids who are stuck in the classroom looking at pictures of the Panama Canal will grasp the knowledge even moreso. :confused:

That has nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

Here's the itinerary for the cruise in question:

May 1, 2008

NEW YORK

May 2, 2008

FUN DAY AT SEA

May 3, 2008

FUN DAY AT SEA

May 4, 2008

SAN JUAN

May 5, 2008

ST THOMAS

May 6, 2008

TORTOLA

May 7, 2008

FUN DAY AT SEA

May 8, 2008

FUN DAY AT SEA

May 9, 2008

NEW YORK

Honestly...who learned about these places in school besides a little history about SJU and some geography? I agree that it CAN be educational but don't see how this relates to graduating HS (in this case).

I teach high school and today I just found out that one of my students is missing the week of finals for a vacation and wants to take his early. What a pain in my behind! Exams are supposed to be after Memorial Day weekend - guess when I planned to write that exam? This student is going with his brother and girlfriend; each student has at least 7 teachers so 21 teachers (that's about 1/2 our staff) are put in the position of having to go out of our way to get these finals ready. Am I happy and understanding that family time comes first - in a word - no! I am one of those obnoxious teachers that teaches to the bitter end. We will have tests/projects/labs up until school ends. I don't take the last week off to kick back and wind down and I don't expect my students to either.

Kris

This is an interesting and highly controversial thread being a parent and taxpayer myself.

We normally ask that K-12 teachers who "plan ahead your way", have a similar approach and philosophy to yours about family and preplan their behaviors in the same manner, take a position in another school district. It is my belief, and I know I'll get flamed for this that Teachers serve the taxpayers. It's a profession and a bit unusual in that we (the taxpaying parents of those students) are paying for your existence, your benefits and retirement. Unless a teacher is hired in a private school. At which point then, the teacher serves the parents that are paying both taxes and private tuitions.

Every K-12 student is attached to family, large or small and those families have sets of complex issues constantly going on. I am not disputing that it is unmanageable if parents and students are making demands about gathering a week’s worth of lessons and work in advance. The reasons for the requests are moot, although in the example you gave the student perhaps provided you with far too much background information.

Understanding human behavior and the reasonable, assumptive needs of the people you serve sometimes requires flexibility. That said teachers should professionally plan accordingly, not ignore the reasonable need for flexibility when serving a group of families that have students in your class, and surely not wait until the 23rd hour to write and administer exams—whether they are intended to be end of school year tests or not. Life for students and their families are just not that perfect. Would it be better to be prepared in advance for this type of eventuality, or to continue to ignore the fact that virtually every school year there will be instances where a student will be out without regard to why? Humanity, it’s so imperfect at times.

It sounds to me that your stated,” I am one of those obnoxious teachers that teaches to the bitter end.” philosophies may be misaligned and now has been turned against you creating a mutual “What a pain in my behind!” situation.

Just my 2cents.

Teach on!

EPO

I teach high school and today I just found out that one of my students is missing the week of finals for a vacation and wants to take his early. What a pain in my behind! Exams are supposed to be after Memorial Day weekend - guess when I planned to write that exam? This student is going with his brother and girlfriend; each student has at least 7 teachers so 21 teachers (that's about 1/2 our staff) are put in the position of having to go out of our way to get these finals ready. Am I happy and understanding that family time comes first - in a word - no! I am one of those obnoxious teachers that teaches to the bitter end. We will have tests/projects/labs up until school ends. I don't take the last week off to kick back and wind down and I don't expect my students to either.

Kris

You should be commended....and then cloned.

Wait, So what about people who homeschool their children? if they take a break and their children don't do lessons for a week, are they irresponsible? Are they ruining their childrens' futures? Not necessarily in regards to the OP's question of taking kids out of school, but lessons in general. I whole-heartedly believe that if the children want to learn, if they are curious, they'll ask questions.

Wait, So what about people who homeschool their children? if they take a break and their children don't do lessons for a week, are they irresponsible?

Are they ruining their childrens' futures? Not necessarily in regards to the OP's question of taking kids out of school, but lessons in general. I whole-heartedly believe that if the children want to learn, if they are curious, they'll ask questions.

Two more cans of worms.

Homeschooling IMO is irresponsible.

:rolleyes: So are you saying leave it up to them?

"...we are paying for your existence, your benefits and retirement." Eponyin, send me your address and I'll send you back the money you personally paid for my salary. I'll write you a check for $1.00 and that, my friend, would include a tip! How foolish to think that because you pay taxes to support your school that you get to decide when a teacher creates his/her lesson plans. You are an insult to parents and I pity the teachers who teach your kids. It is because of parents like you that I no longer teach. I had 165 kids last year. I worked for the ones whose parents value education, not the ones whose parents thought I personally worked for them. So by your reasoning, I can control everyone who works for the state. That's great. I think I'll call 911 and have them send over one of their officers with a pizza. He works for me doesn't he? Then, I think that a fireman should bring over his big red truck so that my 8 month old can play on it. I paid for it didn't I? Then when I head out on my cruise, I think that Air Force I should come and pick me up and deliver me to the terminal. I paid taxes, I'm entitled to it all!!!

Archived