Need help with TA's call for upgrade

LadyLeo84

Got a call from the TA this morning saying that HAL had made us an offer to upgrade (upsell) from our SS cabin (port side) to a SA (starboard side) for $249.00 per person. This will on an Alaskan cruise from Seattle and we leave this Saturday. Is it really worth the extra $$$? I've heard that the port side is best for viewing.

That's a tough one. We've never done Alaska so I can't comment on the "viewing". We took an upsell from SS to SB on Noordam, but at lower cost. Based on the cabin and perks alone I would probably go for it.

- Steve

Got a call from the TA this morning saying that HAL had made us an offer to upgrade (upsell) from our SS cabin (port side) to a SA (starboard side) for $249.00 per person. This will on an Alaskan cruise from Seattle and we leave this Saturday. Is it really worth the extra $$$? I've heard that the port side is best for viewing.
$249 pp sounds too high to me. SakeDad just got a similar upsell for $149 pp.

See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=551652 Try a counter-offer!

On a round-trip from Seattle neither side is "better", because you're going each direction half the time. Besides, in Alaska, I'm only in my cabin when it's dark, so side doesn't matter much to me. :D

I did get the same thing for $149.00 pp after I was told the ship was sold out and I'd given up hope of an upgrade. Also, I was told by a few folks on the Alaska section that the best side was Port as that is the side Glacier Bay is on when you enter. Just realized not only did I get the upgrade but I went from Starboard to Port!!:D Good Luck! Personally I was willing to go go $200.00 pp or a little more for it so it depends on what you can afford but the Suite Life is really gonna spoil us!:p

You can always make a counter offer. I had this a few years ago on a 14 day cruise. I liked the upgrade but not at that price so gave TA a counter offer which she didn't think they would accept but they did. Nothing hurts trying.

I think this is a great deal. You get so many perks with the deluxe veranda suit - free laundry and dry cleaning, neptune lounge, bigger stateroom and balcony, priority embarkation and disembarkation. It will definitely add to your vacation. Why not take what is available and lock in your price and then try to get switched to a room on the port side if it becomes available.

Going to an SA which is considered the Delux Verandah Suite will get you an extra cocktail party.

And a lovely luncheon, breakfast in the PG...lots of nice extras.

We were offered and accepted an upsell for 198pp from SZ GTY (no cabin was assigned) to an SA/SC on the 5/27 Noordam sailing. IMO, it was well worth the small cost to upgrade.

Plus, we were able to confirm our favorite location, a corner SB aft.:D

You're going from a Superior Verandah Suite to a Deluxe. With the deluxe you will get all the perks. IMO, $249.00 per person is a good deal. On our 7-day cruise, the difference between an SS and SA was around $900, per person (but this was with a regular booking-they must need the space which is why they are trying to get you to buy it at a reasonable price, IMO).

I'd grab it. We loved our suite and all the perks were sweet!

At Glacier Bay, if you're planning to view the glaciers from your balcony, port side is best as that's the side that the naturalist key their commentary to. There's no commentary when the ship turns and positions its starboard side to Margery Glacier. If you're planning on doing your viewing from the deck, then the side that your cabin is on doesn't matter.

I agree about the counter offer--it worked for me also. Oh, the S suites are SO great--bigger, better, more amenities and we love the free laundry/dry cleaning! I think it's worth it....you'll love it. Let us know what happens.

Thanks to all of you for your advice!!! I feel a lot better now about being on the starboard side, as we probably would have gone up on the deck to get a better view of the glaciers anyhow.

I decided to go ahead and just do it! The TA was told that they only had 2 cabins and since I was given the opportunity to be in a SA suite I said why not. Yes, I guess I could have bargained, but who knows how many others HAL had contacted with the same offer. I was given an unbelievable offer last week to change sailing dates, but by the time I had gotten the message from the TA and then gotten through to her, the offer was already history.

Like SakeDad, this trip is for My Mom. She has not gotten to go a lot of places in her life and has always wanted to go to Alaska, so I am taking her. We are celebrating both Mother's Day and her birthday which is on the 14th. I'm really excited to be in the suite and am looking forward to all of the perks that come with it. My Mom knows that we have a cabin that is larger than balcony cabin (such as a VA), but she has no idea how nice this will be. We were both excited about being on the port side of the ship, so when this offer came along, I did call her to ask her if she would mind if we changed to a different cabin on the starboard side, and she was okay with that. I didn't tell her about the extra cost. She also asked me if there will be enough room for "Hugo" (her walker) and I said "YES" there will be and let it go at that. Can't wait to see her expression when she lays eyes on this cabin.

Does anyone know what the Pinnacle Grill serves for breakfast?

Trudy

Yes, it is worth paying that small amount for the upgrade, my opinion ofcourse. Have fun, blue skies and smooth seas.

I'd try to negotiate, but in end, would take the upgrade at that price. For the extra money you'll enjoy the Neptune Lounge (free lattes all day + more!), priority boarding and disembarkement, free laundry, a significantly larger room, maybe a larger balcony, an expanded room service menu, binnoculars for in suite use...and more!

Wouldn't worry about which side of ship.

Do it...you'll regret declining.

Thanks to all of you - I really appreciate all of your advice & responses!!:D We leave in the morning and are both really excited about going - I probably won't be able to sleep a wink tonight. This cruise will be the first HAL cruise for either one of us and we are really looking forward to being on the Oosterdam. Can't hardly wait to see my Mom's face when she sees the suite.

Trudy

Archived