Carnival Security

I recently spoke to a friend who did his first Carnival Cruise. He had a good time but had an upsetting experience. When he was going through security getting back on board his belt buckle caused the metal detector to beep. His wife had change in her pocket which also caused a beep. They had to go back to deal with this. When they got back through their brand new expensive digital camera was gone. Reasonably upset my friend got the security manager to attend. This guy claimed that the ship was not able to identify those in the area at the time. As everybody logs in while boarding this was patently untrue. A couple days later this manager called my friend and asked if he would take the camera back no questions asked. To me this brings into question the ethics of the security on board the ship. Has anyone else experienced such a thing?

Unfortunate, but it sounds like security did an investigation and wanted to handle the incident in-house. I believe that if charges are pressed it now falls under FBI jurisdiction, and no one wants that.

From what I saw of it security on our cruise was adiquete.

Thats why--whenever we have to go through the security-- honeywill go first--- and stand there while i put the stuff through. At least one of us will be on one side at all times.

And if its crowded== I will wait until the crowd kind of thins out at the other end-- Nope--not gonna take chances.

If people behind me get pi$$ed--too bad. Stuff costs way too much for me to take a chance that someone might "accidently" pick up my stuff

That's an unfortunate experience. However, after cruising a few times DH & I have learned to put anything and everything that would send off metal sensors in our carryon bags when we enter the ship at ports. DH travels through sensors without his belt and empties his pockets of chain, etc. I do the same, and we put it inside a carryon bag with cell phones and cameras. Everything goes through the baggage screens together in two bags at the most. There's not stopping for further screening and DH goes through the screening sensors ahead of me so he is there to pick up our bags while I'm going through the screening.

Haven't really heard about problems regarding the reboarding process until this post. Don't think it is within the norm.

Dianne

I A couple days later this manager called my friend and asked if he would take the camera back no questions asked. To me this brings into question the ethics of the security on board the ship. Has anyone else experienced such a thing?

Sounds to me like someone picked it up with their stuff by mistake or maybe a kid picked it up and the parents don't want to be confronted or embarrassed.

If it was a mistake why would security ask that no questions be asked?...why would they not just say somebody picked it up by mistake?

I had a similiar incident occur while embarking in Miami last year. I put my carryon stuff through and when I got to the other side of the metal detector the people in front of me were leaving. I started grabbing my stuff and then suddenly realized one of my bags was missing.....of course this was the little bag with all of the important stuff. I asked security where my bag went and they looked dumbfounded. My wife ran down the people in front of me and said "excuse me I think you picked up our bag". The people got pizzy and said they didnt....so my wife reached up and removed our bag that was slung around the man's arm.

Honest mistake?...probably...but it only takes a split second to ruin a vacation!

This is odd since it was returned "with no questions to be asked". I agree with PP, they could have just said someone took it by mistake and returned it to the front desk.

My gut feeling on my first read of this thread was that a security guard "accidentally" removed the camera after noticing that the passenger had to run through the X-ray again.

To OP, did your friend have the camera in a backpag or bag or was it just put through the belt like that?

If it was a mistake why would security ask that no questions be asked?...why would they not just say somebody picked it up by mistake?

I had a similiar incident occur while embarking in Miami last year. I put my carryon stuff through and when I got to the other side of the metal detector the people in front of me were leaving. I started grabbing my stuff and then suddenly realized one of my bags was missing.....of course this was the little bag with all of the important stuff. I asked security where my bag went and they looked dumbfounded. My wife ran down the people in front of me and said "excuse me I think you picked up our bag". The people got pizzy and said they didnt....so my wife reached up and removed our bag that was slung around the man's arm.

Honest mistake?...probably...but it only takes a split second to ruin a vacation!

I hope that jerk said he was sorry!!! I would have been so mad!!:mad:

I would have told the security guard thank you for my camera and then called security on him and explained the situtaion and then let them figure it out. Why would a security guard say "no questions ask" if he was not involved. Just an honest thought IMHO

I am pretty sure it was on the Victory and it was Jamaica. Not sure about that. I think the camera was out in the open. He had security run the image on the xray backwards to prove that it was there.

i too think it was security as per my friend there were 5 of them on hand and the passenger in front of him was in a wheelchair. if that passenger took it by mistake there would be no need for no questions asked. It was also the manager of security that called which again makes me think it was one of his own.

equallytroubling is the lie that they have no idea who boarded at the same time. every ship I have been on had us scan our key/id card on getting on and off the ship.

As to it being FBI jurisdiction...its worse than that. We are Canadians and are offered ZERO protection at sea. US laws apply because the US government says so. Our laws do not. Even if they did we have 50 years of Liberal judges so if assaulted we have to apologize to the mugger for bruising their hands with our face, give them money in compensation and go to cultural awareness training because by complaining about being mugged we are not being sensitive to the needs of the less fortunate.

grrrrrrrrrrrr

Anyhow, if this was a one off event it ended well and no problem. If it is a trend it is something that this board might identify and help correct by bringing attention to the issue. Thanks all.

I hope that jerk said he was sorry!!! I would have been so mad!!:mad:

After we showed them OUR name tag on it they said they were sorry...If the terminal had been busy.....the way I have seen it get...those people would have disappeared into masses. I cant remember for sure but it seems that our documents and all of our ID's/Birth certificates were in the bag.

You would think there would be security cameras on the checkpoint areas at all times!!! :mad:

I would think so also....just glad we did not have to get to that point to find out one way or the other.... I would still be there looking for that bag!

It's sad but there are dishonest people everywhere. We also put everything in a bag and one of us goes ahead through security before the bag goes through the machine -both in the airport and on the ship. Some airports have had major problems with people stealing off the conveyor belts as stuff comes off the x-ray. They try to distract you while someone else grabs your items.

Maybe they already took care of it themselves and feel it unnecessary and bad for business to tell you what happened. Spit happens, I would have just said, "Fine!"
I don't agree with this. It's ALREADY bad for business if your camera gets taken and security appears not even willing to help you find out what happened. I'm sure there are security cameras at the ship entrance, plus every guest cards in so it wouldn't have been that difficult to figure out which 10 people or so carded in right before the theft victim.

Victim lost the use of his camera for some time plus had to worry about losing all his pictures let alone the cost of replacing the camera.

There's absolutely no way that security was not involved somehow. After getting the camera back, I would have gone to the purser's desk and asked to speak with someone. It is completely unacceptable that the security guard asked that the camera be taken back "with no questions asked". I definitely would have said something or write a letter just to let someone know that this does not make you feel comfortable about the integrity of the security guards.

It seems to me that thanks should be given to the Carnival security department. While one may not have enjoyed the experience, and it could have been handled in a better way, the fact is that security obviously took the matter seriously and made an effort to track down the item and return it.

If memory servers, there are usually signs in the processing area warning people to safeguard their valuables. They don't excuse the cruise line from making an effort to also protect valuables, but ultimately one has to make an effort to protect one's own property. Otherwise one risks ruining a perfectly good vacation.

If they don't already have them, security cameras in this area make a lot of sense. While they don't always help, their presence often discourages light fingers.

Its my observation that security types are rarely forthcoming about their assets and capabilities. Its frustrating, but they generally have good reasons for this reticence.

It seems to me that thanks should be given to the Carnival security department. While one may not have enjoyed the experience, and it could have been handled in a better way, the fact is that security obviously took the matter seriously and made an effort to track down the item and return it.
Thanks should be given to the Carnival security department, even if one of their own security guards took the camera? :confused:

It requires a leap to conclusions, but the fact that they insisted the camera be taken back with "no questions asked" indicates to me that one of their own lifted the camera. Then he probably had a change of heart or was counseled into returning it.

If another passenger took it and they recovered it, there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't have told the victim that another passenger mistakenly picked it up and they returned it to the purser's desk. Or they could have been more willing to help. The lack of willingness to help is puzzling to me.

I agree that the victim could have been more careful with the camera, but that doesn't excuse security's unwillingness to help.

Thanks should be given to the Carnival security department, even if one of their own security guards took the camera? :confused:

In my opinion, especially so. It demonstrates that security is professional and not afraid to examine itself.

Details are not clear, it seems to me it could have been something as simple as the camera being hidden/obscured by accidental movement. The question about "no questions asked" may simply have been an awkward attempt to return the camera without embarrassment. Or perhaps to avoid being asked for "compensation".

Thank security...I don't think so.....it is simply wrong for security to return goods on a "don't ask" basis. In fact, in Canada it is against the law to advertise that you are willing to accept your property back on this basis.

Criminal Code

PART IV: OFFENCES AGAINST THE ADMINISTRATION OF LAW AND JUSTICE

Misleading Justice

Advertising reward and immunity

143. Every one who

(a) publicly advertises a reward for the return of anything that has been stolen or lost, and in the advertisement uses words to indicate that no questions will be asked if it is returned,

is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

I am pretty sure it was on the Victory and it was Jamaica. Not sure about that.

As to it being FBI jurisdiction...its worse than that. We are Canadians and are offered ZERO protection at sea. US laws apply because the US government says so. Our laws do not. Thanks all.

Actually It would be neither Canadian law Or us Law..If you were docled in Jamaica it would be their laws and courts..

Archived