Carnival Security

Is it possible they DID have a video camera on the gangplank area, and that's how they figured out who took it? They could have confronted a passenger and agreed to not pursue it if the passenger came clean. I do agree it's more likely that it was a security agent who got caught.

It was handled badly. To avoid questions, they should have just returned it with a note that "it was located", ideally just putting it on the bed to be found later. Or have it delivered by someone not in security who doesn't know anything about it. Then play Sgt. Schultz from there denying all knowledge. When you say "don't asked any questions" EVERYONE'S first instinct it to ask questions. :)

Thank security...I don't think so.....it is simply wrong for security to return goods on a "don't ask" basis. In fact, in Canada it is against the law to advertise that you are willing to accept your property back on this basis.

But it is not against the law to accept the return of stolen property on this basis. I suspect that part of the reasoning behind the quoted section is that while an individual may be willing to accept stolen property on a no questions ask basis, law enforcement probably isn't willing to do the same thing.

The passenger could have refused to accept the return on a "don't ask" basis. I suspect that they would have still gotten their camera back.

As I said before, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the "don't ask" request was simply a clumsy attempt to eliminate any potential liability on the part of the cruise line. As I've noticed from other threads, cruise lines seem loath to divulge any information for fear that it could be used in a suit against them. I wonder just how many law suits are launched against cruise lines each year? They do seem really touchy about it.

your right....Jamaican law would apply in a Jamaican port...but US law would apply too....if American could go for a civil remedy in the US...

If I recall correctly the return did not occur in Jamaican waters which further complicates the issue.

Since the object was returned, presumably undamaged, I'm not sure that civil litigation would get anywhere, regardless of the jurisdiction. Somehow I don't see a lot of pain & suffering for doing without one's camera for a couple of days. Surely not enough to pay legal fees.

I certainly wouldn't have considered any kind of litigation about it. But even if I had gotten the camera back and been told that it was under the condition that "no questions be asked", I STILL would have gone to the purser's desk to speak to someone in guest relations. Or if I was afraid that security would be "doing something" to me, such as "accidentally" unlocking my room and getting things taken, I'd definitely be writing a letter to Uncle Bob or anyone at Carnival who would listen.

I mean, what exactly does that mean, "no questions asked". It just means that something fishy happened. And as I said, if it were just a guest that took it and Carnival handled it on their own and didn't want any further problems, I think it's too late. That victim will probably never trust Carnival or its security again.

I guess an important lesson is to be learned - put all your valuables in a backpack, and make sure one person is always at the other side before putting your backpack through the X-ray.

No questions asked ....hmmm....sounds like they didnt want to incriminate carnival security..If it had been another passenger, I dont think they would have tried to protect them.

A similar situation happened to us when returning from port.. We put all our shopping bags on the x-ray belt. DH had his palm pilot clipped to his belt and at the last minute he remembered so put it down separately and not in one of the bags. When we picked up the belongings on the other side, it didnt come out with the rest of the goods. We collected all our bags and walked away, and then he remembered and went back. The security saw him coming, and at very moment the palm pilot came thru (We wondered if he had been holding it because we can think of no logical explanation for it to come thru so long after our other belongings) There was no one else behind us so it's not like they were terribly busy. Soooo, we decided that its a good idea for one to send the belongings thru and the other to pick them up. Cant help but make you wonder when something like this happens to you

i can't imagine any crew member stealing from a guest, but this doesn't sound so great unfortunately. but the "shoulda, coulda woulda's" are over now. hopefully your friend got the names of all personnel that he dealt with. he agreed no questions asked in order to receive back his camera, but this shld not prevent him from setting aside the no questions asked to report it to corporate.

if your friend has not already done so, i suggest he write a letter to corporate describing, in as much detail as he can, the events that transpired, together with times, dates and names of all crew involved. let corporate investigate this. they shld.

for your friend to not write this letter wld be to do a great disservice to all that sail CCL. maybe the facts will bear out that it was a pax who stole it. maybe it will show crew involvement. if crew is involved, they need to be fired. but, they never will be if corporate is not made aware of this situation.

No questions asked ....hmmm....sounds like they didnt want to incriminate carnival security..If it had been another passenger, I dont think they would have tried to protect them.

A similar situation happened to us when returning from port.. We put all our shopping bags on the x-ray belt. DH had his palm pilot clipped to his belt and at the last minute he remembered so put it down separately and not in one of the bags. When we picked up the belongings on the other side, it didnt come out with the rest of the goods. We collected all our bags and walked away, and then he remembered and went back. The security saw him coming, and at very moment the palm pilot came thru (We wondered if he had been holding it because we can think of no logical explanation for it to come thru so long after our other belongings) There was no one else behind us so it's not like they were terribly busy. Soooo, we decided that its a good idea for one to send the belongings thru and the other to pick them up. Cant help but make you wonder when something like this happens to you

Had this happen to me twice on the same cruise although I did not walk away. I forgot to put my digital camera in my DW bag and just put it on the belt and walked thru the machine then stood by the belt waiting for the camera, it did not come, told the guy watching the machine he said he saw it go thru and should have come out but didn't finally the first day this happened he reversed the belt, saw the camera, sent it forward again and it came thru, my wife was behing security the whole time so we know there was no hanky panky, it just got stuck because it was so light. The 2nd time the security person had to stick his hand in to get it. The 3rd port, I made sure I put it in my DW bag

Archived