Insect/mosquito repellant

Retired 07

We will be in Fairbanks, and Denali next week before heading south for our cruise. Does anybody know if mosquitos are a problem this time of year? Would we need to take some kind of repellant? If so, any recommendations?

Mosquitoes are out in force in Fairbanks and will probably be out in Denali soon. I normally carry a "regular" repellant like Off and apply as needed and also have a small bottle of 100% DEET in case I get into a badly infested area. I have been on hikes near Fairbanks where I have a hundred or more mosquitoes zeroing in if I even stop to tie my shoe. On the other hand, cool mornings and windy days can be almost mosquito-free.

Thanks, Wolfie.....I assume you live in Alaska?? We will be in Fairbanks next Friday. How's the weather looking? Taking the riverboat tour, and then the Tundra tour in Denali. Do you think the mesquitos will be a problem there, or just in the more remote areas?li

Mosquitoes are out in force in Fairbanks and will probably be out in Denali soon. I normally carry a "regular" repellant like Off and apply as needed and also have a small bottle of 100% DEET in case I get into a badly infested area. I have been on hikes near Fairbanks where I have a hundred or more mosquitoes zeroing in if I even stop to tie my shoe. On the other hand, cool mornings and windy days can be almost mosquito-free.

May 2003. We were at the McKinley Princess Lodge. It was a beautifully warm evening (too warm actually because in both Denali and McK we needed to ask for window fans - no AC) and my travel companions and I decided we would go casual with pizza on their patio dining area. We were counseled against this due to "high mosquito activity". HA, we thought, we're no wimps. How bad can it be?

We soon found out that it can be VERY bad! I have never seen bugs that big and annoying. Funny thing is that as swarming as they were, they didn't bite. But sure made for an interesting and SHORT dinner.

I've already bought the repellant wipes for our August trip. On the ship - not usually a problem. Land travel is another kettle.

Fairbanks is sunny and 60's with some afternoon rain showers. Denali about the same. The mosquitoes can be bad on both the riverboat and if you get off at the rest stops on the Tundra Tour, although the wind in Denali thru the passes keeps the mosquitoes down there. As stated before, I usually bring "normal" mosquito repellant for everyday use with full deet for the really bad places.

We won't be up in Fairbanks, but are doing an inside passage cruise during the last week of June this year. In Juneau and Skagway we have some pretty extensive hikes, and I seem to be a mosquito-magnet here in Michigan, where they are little! :D

Where can I find 100% deet spray? Should we just err on the side of caution and apply this every time we go out? Are there brands that anyone suggests? I am not interested in being itchy for my cruise. :p

Thanks!!

Where can I find 100% deet spray? Should we just err on the side of caution and apply this every time we go out? Are there brands that anyone suggests?

Deep Woods Off is what I use. I only put it on if I get bugged a lot - I hate the smell, and it can't be good for you.

Murray

I don't particularly want to have to buy it here in Knoxville and take it up to Fairbanks for use there and Denali (on the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake). I assume it's readily available in stores in Fairbanks? Or am I better off getting it here and just taking it with me?

TIA,

Sam

I found 100% Deet spray at Wal-Mart in the "Sporting Goods section". It's called Repel 100 and comes in a travel size. Off also makes one with 100% deet also in a spray and travel size. Mosquitos love to have me for any meal no matter where I go, so I always take spray with me. Either seems to work well for me. Also Avon's Skin So Soft worked really well for me in Hawaii when I forgot my spray. The tour guide had it and said it has worked great for others as well. I read somewhere too that the little "biters" are attracted to the color blue. Don't know if it's true or not. Let me know if you had a real problem with the mosquitos as we are going in June 2008.

For those of you who don't like the bug spray smell, at my WalMart I found Off Deep Woods Sportsmen in a No Fragrance Formula. Its a 1 oz size that would fit easily in your pocket for excursions. I bought 2 to be on the safe side... the mosquitos LOVE me.

If you are planning on being in one place for an extended period of time (like camping), probably the best thing I have used is the Off Power Pad lantern. We used it at Wonder Lake campground last summer. A combination candle and some small pad probably soaked in DEET. The mosquitos near Wonder Lake were so bad the end of June that we needed mosquito nets at the time. Once we lit that Off Power Pad, we could literally take our mosquito nets off. It was truly incredible. The range was probably 15-20 feet.

You can buy the lantern and refills at Wal Mart, Target, etc.

I have used the Repel 100 as well and that works great especially if you are hiking.

I'm a firm believer in Deep Woods Off. I avoid the really concentrated stuff unless absolutely necessary. Some people prefer pump spray to aerosol, but mosquitoes love to bite through socks, and the pump spray doesn't work upside down. Nothing beats an aerosol for getting the difficult to reach places. I can't speak for S.E. Alaska stores, but once you're in southcentral or interior, you won't find a store without bugspray.

Archived