New Galveston liquor law

Purifyer

Ships cruising out of Galveston do have different Texas laws. Only certain brands can be sold & served when leaving Galveston. Can't remember exactly what they are now. You might find more info by looking at Texas Alcohol & Beverage Commission website. Or try doing a search here. Used to be a menu or list of beverages sold on Conquest.

All of this discussion is strange since we held a cocktail party on our balcony on the Grand Princess in February at sailaway for 8 persons with a bartender and all sorts of liquor was consumed without any mention of restrictions.:confused:

Could it be cruiseline related?

Mike:)

As far as I know, Galveston (not texas) has just recently passed this law. I can't get in touch with anyone in the Galveston city office that can offer an explaination. I was told by the guy who answered the phone (you can get the phone number in the posts above) that they can't deliver to any ships anymore. If anyone can confirm this with the Galveston city office let us all know. :)

:cool: :mad: I just called JBOY and they confirmed Galveston has banned all yes all deliveries of gift baskets with any alcohol. There is a three mile ban on alcohol in galveston port. Maybe JBOY will meet us in a boat just pass the 3 mile area to off load drinks:confused: :eek: O well back to smugling.

If it's an outside vendor, it's not Galveston, but Carnival that has changed. As of a couple of months ago, Carnival quit allowing deliveries of alcoholic beverages to any of their ships. You have to buy from them. There were several threads on the Carnival board about it at the time, but it's all died down now.

Enjoy.

Ron

i haven't seen anything posted on carnivals web site about this. but i do know that that kind of stuff just hurts galveston and in the end will hurt carnival. leave it to the oddballs to screw it up for everyone else. me, i'm not going to worry about it. by the time i get to go in Oct it will probably be different.

If it's an outside vendor, it's not Galveston, but Carnival that has changed. As of a couple of months ago, Carnival quit allowing deliveries of alcoholic beverages to any of their ships. You have to buy from them. There were several threads on the Carnival board about it at the time, but it's all died down now.

Enjoy.

Ron

Unfortunately, its not Carnival, since the same thing was true on the Rhapsody which is a RCI ship.

I'm so glad I "stumbled" across this thread! My poor group - I must warn them so they are prepared in advance for the no liquor until noon on Sunday because as far as they are concerned, it's 5:00 somewhere! LOL

Anyone have good tips on smuggling? I heard a story about someone who smuggled in a shampoo bottle. Except they didn't do a very good job rinsing the bottle. :eek:

I'm so glad I "stumbled" across this thread! My poor group - I must warn them so they are prepared in advance for the no liquor until noon on Sunday because as far as they are concerned, it's 5:00 somewhere! LOL

Anyone have good tips on smuggling? I heard a story about someone who smuggled in a shampoo bottle. Except they didn't do a very good job rinsing the bottle. :eek:

We waited until we reached the first port and I picked uo a flask like pint of rum for $3.00. Carried it in my waist band, went right on. ;)

Next port, vodka etc.:D

Guest scfjjb
As someone above pointed out, this doesnt sound like a new law to me either. We encountered it on the Rhapsody last month about not being able to buy certain drinks until we were out of the port more than 3 miles they said. Maybe they said you can buy brands made in Texas or something wierd. People were complaining then too, so I dont think this law was just passed.

Our three cruises out of Galveston .... had a "Galveston" drink menu... until after sail away

I had ordered Corona gift basket thing for my DH when we went on Ecstasy last August(one year anniv of Katrina actually). We had a note that stated that it couldn't be delivered...I thought it was to make sure we were "of age" but...maybe it was one of our weird Texas Laws.

Oh BTW...beer sales before noon on Sunday...in Florida last week (working...but going on a fishing adventure Sunday) we went to supply the boat with beer....can't buy there on Sunday before 1PM. So we put it on a friend account and she rang it up when we got back. LOL

I thought this law had been around for a while???? :confused:

Texas definitely has different laws... you can't get Crown Royal (and many others) until a few hours out!!! LOL! And they also have different laws about what can be brought back too... I thought that they had cut off deliveries quite some time ago though... but don't worry, Carnival has been cutting down on this for a year now (liquor being delivered to their ships)... I would imagine before long you won't be able to find ANY company at ANY port that can deliver beer/liquor to the ship.

A Texas citizen or resident can only bring one (1) liter of liquor back into the state by land air or sea. As far asa I know, this applies to foreign locations. The CD on Carnival made this clear. adn When I walked back from Nuevo Progresso, Mexico, I could only bring a liter with me (paying excise tax, to boot)! Citizens and residents of other states can bring back four (4) liters.

• 2 weeks later...
A Texas citizen or resident can only bring one (1) liter of liquor back into the state by land air or sea. As far asa I know, this applies to foreign locations. The CD on Carnival made this clear. adn When I walked back from Nuevo Progresso, Mexico, I could only bring a liter with me (paying excise tax, to boot)! Citizens and residents of other states can bring back four (4) liters.

That is what they say but we brought back 2 bottles of crown, 1 patron & 4 bottles of rum. When asked if we had alcohol or tabacco, reply was yeah we do. Never asked how much or anything. If we had been asked, the friends with us from La could have taken it for us since all our luggage was on one cart but they never said a word.

TAXES, TAXES, TAXES

As someone who has been in the liquor business for many years in Texas I think I have an explaination to explain some of your questions. It all has to do with the state of Texas LIQUOR TAX LAWS.

While the ship is in Texas waters it is under Texas Liquor Laws. These laws keep Carnival from selling liquor before noon on Sunday, before 7 AM & after 2 AM on other days.

The laws also state that no liquor may be sold in Texas without the Texas Liquor Tax being paid. After noon on Sunday and 7AM on any other day, Carnival will sell you selected alcoholic drinks at several open bars. If you look closely at the bottles you will see the Texas Tax Stamp. After the ship gets a certain distance from Texas waters watch and the bars will close for a short period of time & change to bottles of liquor with no tax stamp or (duty free). Sometimes they just close one bar and open a different one where you will never observe the change.

It is Carnival's choice on which liquors to pay the tax and serve while in port and Carnival who chooses not to pay the tax on the wine and champagne. They choose to deliver the duty free stuff after they are out of Texas waters due to the profit being much higher and the bookkeeping trouble when dealing with the TABC.

Ok, not sure what the sale of boots has to do with the sale of liquor on a Sunday in Texas....but I'll go with it! :p

Listen, as long as the group can get some sort of alcoholic beverage to celebrate embarkation, we are good to go! And since most of us won't get on before noon anyway, I'm sure we will be able to do just that. :cool:

Archived