New Galveston liquor law

Purifyer

I just talked with JBOY and i found out that galveston just passed a 3 mile liquor law that stops liquor being delivered to any ship. JBOY cannot deliver any liquor there. If you order wine from carnival it won't be delivered until they're 3 miles out. :mad:

I just talked with JBOY and i found out that galveston just passed a 3 mile liquor law that stops liquor being delivered to any ship. JBOY cannot deliver any liquor there. If you order wine from carnival it won't be delivered until they're 3 miles out. :mad:

Okay, before this turns into a mud slinging event, how about citing the law.

I did a quick search and I found nothing to support this claim. I did find the following recent article, and it mentions nothing about what you are claiming ...

http://blogs.chron.com/bayarea/archives/galveston/

April 28, 2006

Along the waterfront ...

Visitors to Galveston beaches this summer will find some new developments along the beachfront, according to a press release issued by the Galveston Island Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Here's what's new:

--Environmental Alert Safety System: Galveston is one of the first coastal cities in the nation to raise orange triangular flags on the beaches to alert the public if the air quality poses a potential threat.

--Sargassum Study: The Park Board of Trustees has partnered with Texas A&M University in College Station for an ongoing study to determine if seaweed can help eliminate beach erosion.

--Wheelchairs: Galveston beaches are now equipped with wheelchairs that are beach friendly. The wheelchairs are free to the public for use at Galveston beach parks, and can be used in both the sand and water. Galveston is the only coastal city in the state to have wheelchair accessibility on its beaches.

just reporting what a guy from JBOY told me. i'm sure he would have sold me some packages if he could have. i'm willing to bet that you will hear more about this as time goes on. i hope i'm wrong and he is too. thanks for checking. i'll sit tight and see...

Ships cruising out of Galveston do have different Texas laws. Only certain brands can be sold & served when leaving Galveston. Can't remember exactly what they are now. You might find more info by looking at Texas Alcohol & Beverage Commission website. Or try doing a search here. Used to be a menu or list of beverages sold on Conquest.

I thought this law had been around for a while???? :confused:

Texas definitely has different laws... you can't get Crown Royal (and many others) until a few hours out!!! LOL! And they also have different laws about what can be brought back too... I thought that they had cut off deliveries quite some time ago though... but don't worry, Carnival has been cutting down on this for a year now (liquor being delivered to their ships)... I would imagine before long you won't be able to find ANY company at ANY port that can deliver beer/liquor to the ship.

My mom sends me champagne on most of my trips and I can't ever get it until later in the evening or the next day, can't have at sail away for some reason. Silly Texas laws :(
I remember that too. My cabinmate ordered champagne specifically for sail-away. Of course they didn't tell her that we couldn't get it until later in the evening because of TX law.... needless to say she cancelled the order.

Ships cruising out of Galveston do have different Texas laws. Only certain brands can be sold & served when leaving Galveston. Can't remember exactly what they are now. You might find more info by looking at Texas Alcohol & Beverage Commission website. Or try doing a search here. Used to be a menu or list of beverages sold on Conquest.

Also no sale of beer, wine or liquor until after 12:00 noon on Sundays...

:(

LL

A lot of states have wierd liquor laws. Anyone who has seen Smokey and the Bandit knows that. :D

We have some weird ones down here Duckie. Mostly it's if ya got it, drink it. No open containers allowed in vehicles though, which is sort of strange when we have drive-up Daiquiri shops.

;)

LL

Been that way for ages in much of the South, LOL... it's the one thing I don't like... sometimes I run out of champagne before noon :eek:

As someone above pointed out, this doesnt sound like a new law to me either. We encountered it on the Rhapsody last month about not being able to buy certain drinks until we were out of the port more than 3 miles they said. Maybe they said you can buy brands made in Texas or something wierd. People were complaining then too, so I dont think this law was just passed.

Last week on Conquest I noticed a door behind the bar labeled "TEXAS ONLY LIQUOR". Every time I passed the bar I noticed it was locked. I'm guessing it was unlocked while we were in port.

Just an observation.

LL

But we can purchase it until 1AM on Saturdays. The rest of the week is until midnight.

At least we do not have watered down beer (excuse me, less intoxicating) as they do in bars, restaurants and supermarkets up in Oklahoma.

Archived