Tracy Arm Fjord - Scenic Cruising

dolly2377

For those of you who have taken the inside passage cruise before...

One day on our cruise our itinerary says: Tracy Arm Fjord - Scenic Cruising. Is this basically just slow cruising through the area? Or will we dock somewhere? We'll be on Golden Princess.

No docking, slow fjords scenic cruising. 30+ miles at the end is the Sawyer Glaciers. A good amount of the ships do not make it to within view of the glacier however. If this is your only glacier sailing, consider a glacier shore excursion perhaps.

• 4 months later...

i am considering taking my teenaged sons on an alaskan cruise this summer on the sapphire.

does anyone have any experience on this ship? or taking an alaskan cruise with teenagers? if so, feedback?

also, since the tempatures seem to be 50-ish in alaska during august, how comfortable is it to be on a cruise ship? (we've only cruised in the carribean.)

and how much is there to do on the sapphire with the weather not being warm? i'm especially concerned about my sons and if they'd be bored. are there any indoor pools? indoor/ sheltered sports? etc?

also, is it worth spending the money for a balcony cabin? that's what we're used to but, again, that was in the carribean - don't know how much balcony sitting one would do in alaska but perhaps for the scenary it's worth it??

thanx much!!

For those of you who have taken the inside passage cruise before...

One day on our cruise our itinerary says: Tracy Arm Fjord - Scenic Cruising. Is this basically just slow cruising through the area? Or will we dock somewhere? We'll be on Golden Princess.

I was on Vision of the Seas (Aug 31-Sept 7) and we went through Tracy Arm. The ship cruises through the fjord very very slowly and it takes a few hours (the scenery is beautiful). My ship stopped about two miles away from Sawyer Glacier (I don't know if the ships can get any closer than that). It stopped for about 30 minutes before going back through the fjord and out to sea.

We had a traffic jam of sorts on the way to Sawyer Glacier. We passed the Dawn Princess on her way out when we were on our way in.

i am considering taking my teenaged sons on an alaskan cruise this summer on the sapphire.

does anyone have any experience on this ship? or taking an alaskan cruise with teenagers? if so, feedback?

also, since the tempatures seem to be 50-ish in alaska during august, how comfortable is it to be on a cruise ship? (we've only cruised in the carribean.)

and how much is there to do on the sapphire with the weather not being warm? i'm especially concerned about my sons and if they'd be bored. are there any indoor pools? indoor/ sheltered sports? etc?

also, is it worth spending the money for a balcony cabin? that's what we're used to but, again, that was in the carribean - don't know how much balcony sitting one would do in alaska but perhaps for the scenary it's worth it??

thanx much!!

I was just on Vision of the Seas and there was plenty to do for everyone! I'm sure it'll be the same on Sapphire. There were family activities, as well as activities geared towards children and teens, and also a teen center onboard, indoor pool, and a rock climbing wall. I doubt they'll be bored and I'm sure that they'll like the port excursions.

It's always warm inside the ship and you don't have to go outside at all!

As for the balcony cabin, well, I can't comment. I've always stayed in interior cabins because I like to be out and about, especially at the Viking Crown Lounge. I could sit there all the live long day!!!

We cruised it on a smaller boat and it was definately the highlight of our trip..If Glaciers are a priority you may want to look into other options..Sometimes the ships do not get up to the glacier..We cruised in July and there was still alot of ice in the water..I have attached a few photos we took during our cruise..

icebergs.jpg.bf8d70bbe4ac8f1330235e782cf0695f.jpg

killerwhale.jpg.894e02b70d0f4ae2a95f78c9d83b2265.jpg

falls.jpg.c42cd9719d84a473455a4ae34a3b6421.jpg

sawyer.jpg.7221c4253402e9860ffed8ed25b32a33.jpg

sealstracyarm.jpg.239c0962f3d7ab542d1a80fd66b348ca.jpg

No docking, slow fjords scenic cruising. 30+ miles at the end is the Sawyer Glaciers. A good amount of the ships do not make it to within view of the glacier however. If this is your only glacier sailing, consider a glacier shore excursion perhaps.

Absolutely agree with Budget Queen. For our first cruise to Alaska (5/05) we chose the Sapphire Princess itinerary that included Tracy Arm. Due to large amounts of ice, we were not able to get very far into TA. Although it did not ruin our cruise, we were a little disappointed. Since then, we always try to schedule two glacier opportunities when we go to Alaska.

Absolutely agree with Budget Queen. For our first cruise to Alaska (5/05) we chose the Sapphire Princess itinerary that included Tracy Arm. Due to large amounts of ice, we were not able to get very far into TA. Although it did not ruin our cruise, we were a little disappointed. Since then, we always try to schedule two glacier opportunities when we go to Alaska.

Our sailing included College Fjord..It was soo foggy and there was alot of ice so we couldnt see the harvard glacier..I remember turning to my husband and saying thak goodness we have booked Tracy Arm..:)

Our sailing included College Fjord..It was soo foggy and there was alot of ice so we couldnt see the harvard glacier..I remember turning to my husband and saying thak goodness we have booked Tracy Arm..:)

We have done two cruises to Alaska - one with Tracy Arm (which we didn't get too far into) and the second one with Glacier Bay and College Fjord (weather was great and we were able to see both). For 2008, DH really wants to see Hubbard Glacier. I said OK, but with the stipulation that we do a Prince William Sound Glacier tour out of Whittier as a back-up glacier. I know there are no guarantees, but if I can increase the odds in my favor, I will. :)

Just returned from cruising on the Golden Princess in Tracy Arm last week. We were able to go all the way up to within less than a mile of the Sawyer Glacier and the scenery was better than Glacier Bay which we did last year on the Diamond Princess and on the Sun Princess in 2000. If the ship can't go all the way up to the glacier, then Glacier Bay would probably be better (because you are guaranteed to see glaciers) - but when you can go all the way up, the colors on the Sawyer Glacier and on the pieces that had calved were deeper blue than anything I had ever seen before.

Archived