New To Cruising.....the Right Timing For Flight Back Home

10:55am won't be cutting it to close if you can carry off your own luggage. I'd go for noon. We got held up in Miami in customs, and missed our 10:30am flight. You can leave as soon as the ship pulls in, and you finalize your ship account if you can carry all of those bags!!

~Jubilee:p

Hi MAG,

My suggestion would be for noon or later...Customs can hold-up the ship & everyone getting off and there's nothing RCI or you can do about it.

I used to work for RCI and we always used to tell folks to book their flights after 12 noon, just to be on the safe-side...and that was before 9/11 and the increased security delays & such.

10:30 a.m. is too close & there's no sense in aggrevating yourself & getting frustrated on disembarkation day because you're thinking you might miss your flight.

Bon voyage,

Gigglewolf

I think you can do it! We were supposed to dock at 7 am, as well, but arrived well before that! We were at the airport by 8:30 am and we DID NOT carry off all of our junk! We did tell the Purser's desk that we had an early flight, and were in the 2nd group to be called. No problem! Sure beats trying to kill time after a great vacation! I say, go for it!

Hi MAG,

My suggestion would be for noon or later...Customs can hold-up the ship & everyone getting off and there's nothing RCI or you can do about it.

I used to work for RCI and we always used to tell folks to book their flights after 12 noon, just to be on the safe-side...and that was before 9/11 and the increased security delays & such.

10:30 a.m. is too close & there's no sense in aggravating yourself & getting frustrated on disembarkation day because you're thinking you might miss your flight.

Bon voyage,

Gigglewolf

Giggle,

Is there any info that we could use or should know about when cruising with RCI that most of the general public doesn't know about?

:cool:

My family and I will be on the liberty of the seas 8/25-9/1 the boat docks at 7am will I be cutting it close if I choose the 10:55am flight home from Miami?

Thank You,

MAG

After a quick look at cruisecal . com it looks like there are only 3 ships scheduled to disembark in Miami on 9/1/07 which lightens the laod of cruise pax going through the airport that day.

I'd say if you can disembark carrying your luggage you should be able to make that flight. However, we have no guess as to how many air pax will be returning from summer vacations other than cruise ships that day.

If you keep the 10:55 a.m. flight, don't let any grass grow beneath your feet as you leave the ship and head to the airport for check in.

Although ships are often into port prior to scheduled arrival times, rough seas and other things can delay arrival times. The arrival time is just an estimate given to pax and is given with the idea that there will be no storms or high seas to delay arrival.

Dianne

They will give you a form to fill out, that asks about flight arrangements, which will dictate at which time time you're called for disembarkation. Also, as stated above, if you do the express departure (carry your own baggage), you'll get off sooner. In any case, they will work with you to do everything in their power to get you to your flight in time. Happy cruising.

What airline are you flying on? You will make it, but you are going to have to be off the ship the minute they call your tag (make sure you get the first color tag from Guest Relations) and make a beeline for a cab to the airport. They call you early (about 6:45) but the Port of Miami is usually pretty slow with immigration. We made an 11:05 flight home on Navigator out of Miami last year with time to spare, but we were within the first 10 people off of the ship.

If you are flying American Airlines, you can check in at the Port of Miami. They have a check in area right outside of baggage claim when you get off the ship and you can check your luggage and get your boarding passes before you go to the airport so you can just go straight to security.

What airline are you flying on? You will make it, but you are going to have to be off the ship the minute they call your tag (make sure you get the first color tag from Guest Relations) and make a beeline for a cab to the airport. They call you early (about 6:45) but the Port of Miami is usually pretty slow with immigration. We made an 11:05 flight home on Navigator out of Miami last year with time to spare, but we were within the first 10 people off of the ship.

If you are flying American Airlines, you can check in at the Port of Miami. They have a check in area right outside of baggage claim when you get off the ship and you can check your luggage and get your boarding passes before you go to the airport so you can just go straight to security.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they only did that for flights leaving noon or later. The bags go on a truck to the airport and an early flight would not get the bags in time for their flight out.

But why do you want to torture yourself? Is this the only direct flight? is it less expensive? (both good reasons...but are they good enough?) Most people will get to the airport on time, (but the stress, the stress....) but all you need is one little hold up, (customs, immigration, drug dog hitting on someone's bags) and the whole house of cards can come tumbling down.

My humble suggestion is to postpone until at least noon or 1 pm....but I don't do well with stress. Take your time, enjoy your last cup of coffee, watch the action on the pier....and go a little later (if you can.)

Maddle

Archived