ssn and passport

I have a family memebr that wants to join us on a cruise and they are getting a passport (not leaving until jan 08) should have time. Anyway his last name on his birth certificate is different from his ss card. All his documents cc, dl, bills everything has 1 last name then the ss card has another will this cause a problem? He did put the other last name in the box for A.K.A

Also you should know he applied 4 weeks ago and they did cash the check but it doesnt show up under tracking. I said if they cashed the check he is ok what do you think?

It takes them a long time to process the application and cash the check, so it isn't unusual that is hasn't been cashed after 4 weeks. When my wife renewed her passport last year, it took two months.

What did he send in with the application? I'm not sure what you meant by other name....Did he use the name on his BC or SSN card? If he sent his BC and the name he's applying under matches, there shouldn't be a problem.

Aquahound

Yes he used his birth certificate and that matched his last name used on the application. The question was seeing his last name is different on his ss card and you are required to put your ssn on the application would that cause a problem in getting the passport? The checked WAS cashed after only 3 weeks but it doesnt show up on the web site under the tracking. I said because the check was cashed then they should issue a passport but he is worried becasue there is no tracking info. So I guess I do have another question has anyone ever had their check cashed but not get a passport

I have a family memebr that wants to join us on a cruise and they are getting a passport (not leaving until jan 08) should have time. Anyway his last name on his birth certificate is different from his ss card. All his documents cc, dl, bills everything has 1 last name then the ss card has another will this cause a problem? He did put the other last name in the box for A.K.A

Also you should know he applied 4 weeks ago and they did cash the check but it doesnt show up under tracking. I said if they cashed the check he is ok what do you think?

If he was adopted, you will need the adoption papers and legal name change papers to prove that is ssn is the same person as the bc. Just like you had to have your marriage liscens copy with you. which i did not know, and they had to pull it up to send in with it since my bc and ssn were different. Hope this helps.

Eventually this will catch up with him and cause him grief. He should go to his local Social Security office to correct their record. It is not unusual for there to be a discrepancy. This can be due to adoption, marriage, a legal name change, the use of a nickname when first appling for a ss card or even a typo. Since DHS related legislation was enacted in November 2005 , it is becoming much more problematical as computers are cross-referencing data from state DMV files and Social Security records. Since you state you are not traveling until early next year, he should be able to get things sorted out by then. Good luck and Bon Voyage!

Regarding the check issue: My fiance and I sent out our applications and checks at the same time. They were both checks from my account. Both checks have been cashed, but only my passport shows up on the website tracking. His does not. I'm assuming this isn't anything out of the normal. HTH :)

Red Socks Girl: I would have that family member go to the local Social Security Office and get that SS card corrected, ASAP. It probably won't have any effect on getting a passport in the correct name (same as on the birth certificate), but when the time comes to start collecting ss benefits, they are going to have a very difficult time depositing Joan Smith's benefits to an acccount in the name of Joan Jones.

We applied in Feb. for our passports. The checks were cashed after a couple of weeks but it took a month to get on the web site for tracking. We just received our passports last week (always a relief to have them in hand).

Archived