Newport News, VA to Norfolk cruise terminal

Does anyone know the distance or travel time from the Newport News Airport to the Norfolk cruise terminal?? Thinking about the Empress to Bermuda and the only direct flights from Boston go to Newport News.

I just updated my Norfolk cruise map with both the new terminal location and the parking lot.

Click on the marker for whichever one you want to go to (you can use the links below the map as well) and in the pop-up box, click on the "To here" link. Type in the airport code and click the Get Directions button. A new Google map window will open with the driving directions and distance!

Theron

P.S. The Newport News Airport code is PHF...

It's about 45 minutes from the airport in Newport News to downtown Norfolk -- however it is very dependent on traffic becasue you have to go through a bridge/tunnel. If the tunnel is backed up, the time can easily extend to 60 or 90 minutes. Rush hour and summer weekends are particularly bad times for the tunnel, but the traffic also seems to slow up without any reason at all at odd times of the day and night.

The airport in Newport News is very nice, though; small and easily accessible.

I can be as little as 15 minutes. It all depends on time of day, who decides to either run out of gas, or wreck in the tunnel, etc..... The drivers in this area are HORRIBLE!!! I know! I lived there for 20 years!!!! Leave yourself at least an hours leeway!

Agree with everyone. Give yourself an hour at the minimum. What time do you arrive and what day? The airport is small and soooooo easy to get through. Getting luggage is fast---onlt 2 luggage drops. I like this airport much more than Norfolk.

Just moved from the Chesapeake VA area a few months ago and I would recommend leaving yourself at least 2 hours. The tunnel is VERY unpredictable and you can easily sit in traffic for an hour or more. The Newport News airport is very nice and easy to get in/out of. Just leave yourself plenty of time (there's lots to do within walking distance of the pier) and you won't stress yourself out.

As a local, I have to jump on the band wagon with all of the previous posts. Allow yourself plenty of time. There are two directions you can take to get across the water from Newport News to Norfolk and both are controlled by tunnels (Hampton Roads Tunnel and the Monitor Merimac Tunnel). On weekdays the commuters block them and on summer weekends the travelers block them! Give yourself plenty of time so you can sit back and relax during your travels. The suggestion for two hours was not overkill!

Hey, cb at sea, we aren't all horrible drivers here!! :D

Cheryl

Archived