When is best time for Hawaii cruise?

primetimegirl

Aloha. Here are some links to threads from the past several months discussing this very thing. Hope they get you started and give you some ideas of when would be best for you. IMO, it's an entirely personal thing based on many factors. We don't think there's a bad time to cruise Hawaii, but do have a fondness for the fall months; although, winter time with the whales is something pretty special too. And spring can be very, very nice. Well, there I go again--No bad time, IMO.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=531633

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=492499

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=481440

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=463260

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=447401

beachchick

What time of year is the best time to go on a howaii cruise? What cruise line is best? We are thinking about NCL.

We are in Massachusetts and while we are skiers and love the snow, there is a great sense of satisfaction in telling people we are going to Hawaii in February. We are doing a 10 day NCL cruise. My high school daughter was in class and the kids were discussing vacations and missing school. Our vacation falls during the kids winter school break, but they will miss three days of school. Her friends were SOOOO jealous when she said, "I'll be missing three days of school next year to go to Hawaii."

NCL is great because it is all about Hawaii and no days at sea. I like sea days, but this particular cruise will give me the most days in Hawaii, using the least number of vacation days.

If you do choose NCL, make sure you do your homework regarding the NCL Hawaiian cruises. They are very, very port intensive and there are complaints about the onboard activities. If you are going for the cruise, you may be disappointed. If you are going for a unique Hawaiian experience, you will be happy.

I am booked but have not yet gone so these opinions are based on my research, not personal experience. I do plan however on posting my personal experience next February when I have sailed.:D

Feb is a great time to go. We were on the Wind from the 10th-21st and there were tons of Whales.

cruizinwithkids-there is a chance I might be going to the aloha and not the hawaii. Ill find out this week. If your on NCL for your hawaiian cruise then maybe I will see you onboard!

Feb is a great time to go. We were on the Wind from the 10th-21st and there were tons of Whales.

cruizinwithkids-there is a chance I might be going to the aloha and not the hawaii. Ill find out this week. If your on NCL for your hawaiian cruise then maybe I will see you onboard!

James that would be really cool. You would definitely not be on the POH as it's done in February. What is your contract length? We are on 10 day POA, February 13.

James that would be really cool. You would definitely not be on the POH as it's done in February. What is your contract length? We are on 10 day POA, February 13.

Jun-Nov

Dec-aprl

I really want to get onto the Aloha because that overnight in Honolulu would be so much fun.

Jun-Nov

Dec-aprl

I really want to get onto the Aloha because that overnight in Honolulu would be so much fun.

We'll be arriving the day of the cruise from the east coast. The kids will be missing school so I don't want to take them out any earlier. I dread the flight. I'm glad for the overnight in Honolulu incase something happens with our flight.

Do you think from your perspective (waiter?) a 10/11 day cruise would be any better or worse than the 7 day? Do you think passengers would have more time, less rushed, less cranky, more generous?

Do you think your job will be any different with the international crew onboard? I read somewhere that they could make up 25% of the crew in 2008.

P.S. I was a waitress in a former life, so be nice to me LOL.

We'll be arriving the day of the cruise from the east coast. The kids will be missing school so I don't want to take them out any earlier. I dread the flight. I'm glad for the overnight in Honolulu incase something happens with our flight.

Do you think from your perspective (waiter?) a 10/11 day cruise would be any better or worse than the 7 day? Do you think passengers would have more time, less rushed, less cranky, more generous?

Do you think your job will be any different with the international crew onboard? I read somewhere that they could make up 25% of the crew in 2008.

P.S. I was a waitress in a former life, so be nice to me LOL.

oh also I think the pax are a little more relaxed. Something about the longer cruises just makes you feel more on vacation then "i have 7 days to fit in all this stuff"

lol well the ships already have most of the 25% international crew on them. I know becuase they made alot of people change cabins so they could have their own area.

As far as the 10/11 day I went on the norwegian wind 11 day to fanning island as a passenger and the only real difference was you get to know some crew members better, and the average age of the passengers was alot older. What age range are your kids in? It shouldnt be a prob the ports and timing look really good.

The flight actually isnt that bad. Ive done 7 round trip flights from cleveland to hawaii in the past year, and two were from newark to honolulu direct and it wasnt bad at all. Flying is one of my fav things to do tho, I flew from newark to hong kong direct and that was 17 hours but I loved it! If you fly on continental airlines they play a hawaiian video when you board the ac.

We did LA/Hawaii/LA on Princess early December 2006. HORRIBLE weather both ways. Even the crew was sick. The days in Hawaii it were perfect, though. On December 7 we apparently were in the proverbial "perfect storm" -- one coming from the north and one coming from another direction, converging where we were. Except for the 5 days in Hawaii, we couldn't use our balcony.

We did LA/Hawaii/LA on Princess early December 2006. HORRIBLE weather both ways. Even the crew was sick. The days in Hawaii it were perfect, though. On December 7 we apparently were in the proverbial "perfect storm" -- one coming from the north and one coming from another direction, converging where we were. Except for the 5 days in Hawaii, we couldn't use our balcony.

Dec is the worste time for sea conditions in hawaii. Lots of plates fell over during that time!

Dec is the worste time for sea conditions in hawaii. Lots of plates fell over during that time!

That may be true, but our PoH cruise last December had very good sea conditions throughout the islands, except for some very slightly heavy seas from Kauai to Oahu.

beachchick

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
We are planning the 7-day cruise out of Honolulu in January. Has anyone ever cruised in January and is this a good time weatherwise to go?

Yes, I have gone in January. The water is colder, if you are going to be in it. I have a body glove, so it didn't matter to me. :) Great time for whales, but less daylight compared to summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived