Southampton hotels?

I stayed there three years ago before a transatlantic and have reservations to stay there again in July. It's a basic 3 star hotel, very clean and good sized rooms, friendly and helpful people working there, and it has a reasonably priced place to eat. It's certainly not the Ritz but fine for a night or two and the rates are decent. Lots of cruise passengers were there and it wasn't very far to the port. I also stayed at the DeVere Grand Hotel and it is beautiful but much more expensive.

Many thanks for the info on the Novotel. I tried the DeVere Grand it's booked and so is the Novotel. My choices seem to be the Holiday Inn Express, Red Bridge Place and the Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker. Do you know either of these?

I'm surprised that those 2 hotels are sold out. Don't know your dates but perhaps you are trying to book during the Southampton Boat Show when most everything is sold out. I went into a Holiday Inn that was across the street from the DeVere Grand and it looked nice and it was very close to the water. Since there seems to be a couple of Holiday Inns, I don't know which one it was but I don't believe it was an Express. I guess you should book soon if other hotels are already sold out.

Patti

Patti,

YUP I did not realize my cruise sails 8/9 which is the boat show time frame. The Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker is $270 while the Holiday Inn Express is $170 about 3 miles north. Do you think it's worth the extra $100 to be near the pier? Thanks, Chantal

Chantal,

I would guess that it depends on how much you are willing to spend and how many nights you are going to be there. I have no idea what there is to do or what is near to the Holiday Inn that's 3 miles away but at least in Southampton there are interesting things to do, a big enclosed mall and numerous restaurants. If you only have one night and you are arriving in the afternoon and then embarking in the early afternoon the next day, it seeems smart to spend less. A taxi will get you the 3 miles to the port quickly.

I feel pretty silly trying to advise when I live in Hawaii but we have stayed twice in Southampton before taking the QM2 transatlantic. What ship are you taking?

Book soon!!

Patti

Patti,

HI again, I went to Hawaii on a cruise last summer and stayed for 5 days in Honolulu and loved it. Which island do you live on?

I will be staying in Southampton for 1 night (pre-cruise) and am fussy about hotels. I'd rather eat less and stay in a nice place, hence all the questions. Do you remember a hotel called Jury's Inn?

Thank you once again. Chantal

Hi back to you,

I'm glad that you made up your mind and decided to stay in town for the one night. How about asking the DeVere Grand hotel if you can be put on a waitlist? If you really want a lovely hotel, that's the one I would try to get into. The dining room is so pretty, light and airy and they have a shuttle van that takes people for free (just a tip) to the cruise terminal. You just have to sign up for it at the concierge's desk. You have several months until you sail so you may clear the list even though it's a busy time.

How great that you have seen the islands here and that you loved it. We live on the island of Oahu in a wonderful condo that has a great ocean view and we see all the cruise ships that arrive. What ship were you on? How about a return visit?

Aloha,

Patti

Hi Patti,

We were on the Pride of Hawaii's 2nd or 3rd sailing. Went to Diamond Head, Shopping, Pearl Harbor, Shopping, City Tour, Shopping, Beach and more shopping. Went to a show and had a grand time. Must be wonderful to have a condo on the beach and watch the waves and surfers. Will go back some day.

Regarding the hotel, I'll try your advice about the wait list for the Grand. I have my holds on the Holiday Inn but now I'm looking at staying near Heathrow Airport and going to Southampton in the AM. Glad there isn't any cancellation fee.

Chantal

Patti,

HI again, I went to Hawaii on a cruise last summer and stayed for 5 days in Honolulu and loved it. Which island do you live on?

I will be staying in Southampton for 1 night (pre-cruise) and am fussy about hotels. I'd rather eat less and stay in a nice place, hence all the questions. Do you remember a hotel called Jury's Inn?

Thank you once again. Chantal

Hi Chantal,

Jury's Inn is a large chain of hotels, 3* but some with the feel of something better, certainly the one in Newcastle.

They offer a consistent standard of accommodation which is quite high. However if coming from the States you will find that standard rooms in the UK and most of Europe are smaller than you will find at home.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

What happened to the Holiday Inn? I thought that was available for booking and you had decided on it or was that full too? It's so convenient to be in the city on the day that you board the ship. I read another posting on a different board several weeks ago about this same problem that you are having because of the boat show and the person seemed to think she would stay in Winchester.

Aloha,

Patti

Chantal,

Another thread on the same subject

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=532017

at the time (early april) Premier Travel Inns were showing as available, though at an inflated price.

There are also suggestion re other towns to stay in.

Also try

http://www.visit-southampton.co.uk/

there might be some hotels/B+Bs listed there.

Karen

• 4 weeks later...

The Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker is fine. The West Quay shopping center is a 3 minute walk; the town centre is 5 minutes.

Nice bathtubs and comfortable beds. Small but friendly bar in the lobby, restaurant is rather overpriced but you can easily walk to better options.

If your room faces the right direction, you can see the Cunard ships come in from your window. We actually walked from the hotel to the pier, an easy 20 minute walk, but had very little luggage to handle. Taxi can be prebooked by the front desk, shouldn't cost more than 5 GBP.

Julia

Archived