Shore excursion suggestions for Sapphire Princess

trvlgrlmn

Syl: We have booked two tours with a company whose link is posted below. One is the Blue Mountains that includes Featherdale (koalas), among other stops, and the river cruise back to Circular Quay. It's a 9 hour tour for a very reasonable price. Pick up at your hotel. (I don't think I've posted this link before.....:o). The 2nd tour is the Hunter Valley Wine & Cheese tour.

http://www.activitytours.com.au/

Thanks for the link--I am not 100% sure about the Blue Mts tho--they appear to be similar to Grand Canyon & Ayers Rock combo? I guess they are something I have not ever heard about. I would not have known tho if not for your link--Thanks--we will have to weigh our options--from nothing to now a whole lots of things to do. :D this is good to have so many choices..and no I haven't seen it posted.

Thanks for the link--I am not 100% sure about the Blue Mts tho--they appear to be similar to Grand Canyon & Ayers Rock combo?

I haven't been to either but I have been to the Blue Mountains many times.....it is very pretty up there (we're doing it again as my in-laws will be on this trip and they haven't been before). I like the idea of this tour as you get to do quite a variety of activities.....all in one day.....with someone else driving. Finishing up with the river cruise is a nice way to end the day too. Very scenic and very relaxing. :)

I haven't been to either but I have been to the Blue Mountains many times.....it is very pretty up there (we're doing it again as my in-laws will be on this trip and they haven't been before). I like the idea of this tour as you get to do quite a variety of activities.....all in one day.....with someone else driving. Finishing up with the river cruise is a nice way to end the day too. Very scenic and very relaxing. :)

Yes I am still undecided on which tour--this one sounds good & the coming back via the river would be quite different too. I'd want to pick it hoping that the ship coming in (ours) those peole won't be booking this--as this sounds like smaller amount of people--well not like 40-50 or more. Although there is another company that has Koala Park & Duck boat tour--that also sounds liek fun...but I would think mainly in and around Sydney--where this other is all different plalces to take pics. Decisions...decisions..but I have a long time to think it thru.

Syl: Being from the midwest ourselves we were very happy and content riding the ferries in Sydney everywhere :-). Such a treat for us!

It is a great city for walking also - we stayed downtown, took ferry to Darling Harbour (and did see the Aquarium late in the day, not line at all; also Maritime Museum); one day took the ferry to the Zoo (absolutely great - ride the cable car up and walk down as mentioned, views are fabulous); and Manly Beach (toward evening it gets very nippy, lines are long to get there on the ferry early) and had fish and chips on the beach; and had to tour the famous Opera House, walked thru the Botanical Gardens too and a bit of shopping. Never enough time! We were even able to walk to the ship with our luggage.

Sydney is a really great city - as Erin said, people are very friendly and one actually feels welcome. :-)

Debbie

Syl: Being from the midwest ourselves we were very happy and content riding the ferries in Sydney everywhere :-). Such a treat for us!

It is a great city for walking also - we stayed downtown, took ferry to Darling Harbour (and did see the Aquarium late in the day, not line at all; also Maritime Museum); one day took the ferry to the Zoo (absolutely great - ride the cable car up and walk down as mentioned, views are fabulous); and Manly Beach (toward evening it gets very nippy, lines are long to get there on the ferry early) and had fish and chips on the beach; and had to tour the famous Opera House, walked thru the Botanical Gardens too and a bit of shopping. Never enough time! We were even able to walk to the ship with our luggage.

Sydney is a really great city - as Erin said, people are very friendly and one actually feels welcome. :-)

Debbie

Yes we plan to take the ferry to the zoo--but what I can't find out is after you get there on the ferry--how do you get to the zoo? I thought I saw a tram thingy? Is that how or must we get a taxi? Yes I am still thinking on the tour to the Blue Mts--only because we will see more kinds of terrain for picture taking & then of course the river boat ride.

You say you walked to the ship--from what hotel did you stay? We will be at Marriot Sydney Harbour--so it is close to the wharfs in the Quay...just a bit further to the OPT docking.--can we walk from our hotel area to the aquarium? Sorta what I had planned to do...I think we will plan to go there about 3-5 in the afternoon.--but real soon I see us running out of time!!!!--as that tour to the Mts is all day.--which I would book for our first full day--we arrive 8am Friday morning (will take this day-Friday, as it comes--slowly I hope)--so it would be Sat--probably a really BUSY day--as locals are on their summer vacations then also.

I will go reread our tours while on ship & see what they have in Hobart..Thanks

Syl, the zoo is right at the ferry stop. You get off and purchase your tickets :-). At the ticket booth you get the cable car up and it takes you right into the Zoo. Really cool as you ride over the zoo as you go up. We really did enjoy it -

We actually stayed in Circular Quay at the Sir Stamford (great hotel btw). We got in about 9:00 am and right outside the airport there were people waiting for tourists - selling van rides into town. We took one and it was $10 each (AU). Hotel was not ready yet at 10:00 am so they let us check our luggage after allowing us to freshen up in work out area - we kept a change of "summer" clothes out in our carryon and then we just went and went and went - didn't make it back until 9:30 that evening but they had our luggage in our room waiting then for us. Great service. The Marriott is supposed to be great, I would think you could walk to the ship from there too.

You probably can walk to Aquarium from there but I wouldn't. You are going to be really jetlagged the first day - and it is a really good walk. Plus the ferry rides are just soooo much fun! Gives you a wonderful view of the city as well for the price, plus going from Circular Quay to Darling Harbour you get to go under the Bridge!

Just fyi, here is a website we used to get coupons for these places:

http://www.whatsoninsydney.com.au/specials.asp#

Debbie

Hi,

Sorry I haven't looked at your ships itinerary...how long is the ship in Melbourne for? A day trip out to Philip Island is always a great day out.

You can go to various koala parks...on the way, there is a place called the big worm....you can see some of the largest worms in the world there, cuddle a wombat, have your picture taken with a koala, feed the kangaroos, pet dingos. On the island is the motor bike grand prix track, the penguin parade at night, a look out to a fur seal colony and so much more! Don't know if the ship is doing a tour there or not, but if it is, it is a great day out.

We have sighted humped back whales there in the bay this week.

The mornington peninsula is great for a winery tour...we have so many cold climate wines in the area. Sorrento was the first place settled in the Port Philip Bay area, and it is further down the peninsula. Pt Nepean is great to visit on the peninsula too...you can cycle or take a little 'train' ride around. It houses an old army site, with bunkers constructed during the war to protect the heads of the bay from invaders. It also houses the old quarantine station, where many of our original settlers first stayed.

If you are interested, I can send you a booklet with things to do on the Morninton Peninsula...email me at kazdaetz@hotmail.com

It is done by the local tourist commision.

In the city itself, you can visit the Melbourne Cricket Ground, where the commonwealth games, and olympic games were held. They do tours everyday an event isn't being held.

There is a Yarra river tour...some do them with lunch....the Queen Victoria Markets is great just for the atmosphere alone...but you do get some great bargains too!!

Hope I have given you some ideas!

Kaz

Not sure if it is me you are talking to--but we will only be in Melbourne from 7am-5pm...so most likely will take a ships tour--not 100% yet but I will print off your info--THANKS

Archived