Shore excursion suggestions for Sapphire Princess

trvlgrlmn

Hello everyone, we are heading to Australia and New Zealand in January 08 and I am starting to look at shore excursions. Does anyone have any suggestions of "Must do's" and "don't waste time and money" Aussie Girl I would love any insight you have to your Country.

Thank you!

Sheila

Sheila,

I am going to give you some links to posts that I made last year regarding Hobart and Melbourne.

Here they are:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=441753

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=425448

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=442999

I would read through all the posts and see if any of the suggestions suit you.

If you have any questions just ask away.

Jennie

Some ideas for Sydney.

People say that the Bridgeclimb in Sydney is a must do. Its $175AUD (about $145USD), but you need to be reasonably fit. Its a great way to view all of Sydney at once. Here is a link

http://www.bridgeclimb.com.au/index_au.htm

Catch a ferry to Watson's Bay for fish and chips and beer at Watson's Bay Hotel. A great way to see the harbour.

Catch the 380 or 333 bus to Bondi beach for lunch. You can buy a daytripper pass for $15.40 ($12.80USD) each which will cover unlimited travel on ferries (except Manly Jetcat), buses and trains for the day.

I second Mochuck in the three things that have been mentioned for Sydney. We did the Bridgeclimb quite a few years ago and loved it. I believe the oldest person to climb it was in her late eighties so if you are able to climb stairs then you can do it.

Watson's Bay is a particular favourite of mine and I love eating the fish and chips at Muirs.

A few other things to do in Sydney. Catch the ferry to the zoo, and then use the chair lift to go up to the top and then walk back down. The views of Sydney are wonderful.

Also catch the Manly ferry and see another wonderful beach. Walk around Darling Habour and visit the Aquarium. Even try walking across the Sydney Harbour Bridge if the weather is good.

There are also tours one can do of the Opera House and to even walk around the Rocks area is a treat.

There is a lot to see in Sydney so allow a few days if possible.

Jennie

• 3 weeks later...

We are not on Princess--but still need some help on things to do--as we arrive before boarding our ship--we need to do things on our own first.

I am SOOooooo confused between the different daytrippers-monorail-explorer buses etc. Say we know we want to go to the aquarium & the zoo--would love to just use a get on off but take it first for the whole trip.

Am now looking at the SmartVisit Card..having to order online. It appears to get you into both of those places & most free buses etc....but it is quite $$--BUT--each of those 2 places (also ferry to zoo)also cost & if we didn't have it--we'd pay for that AND any on off rides.. we get in on Friday morning..but I don't want to use that day (or pick it up at the wharf area) so use it Sat-Sun-Mon)..is this something we should buy will it save in the long run or be a waste of money--meaning we can do these things separately? Also in the 4 days we will be there (2 on the ship) I want to go to the market at the Rocks (free) but needing the time.

GADS this can get confusing..also--have given up on the bridge walk--but will most likely do the Pylon (it says free for the museum--so suspect we need to pay to go up)? OK--I'll quit asking more and more questions. I hope this all makes sense :D

It says it is a See Sydney & Beyond Smartvisit Card.

Syl: One thing to keep in mind.......while you can ride the ferries to so many places, zoo, Manly, Darling Harbour, Watson's Bay, to name a few, you do have to RETURN to Circular Quay from that specific location before catching a ferry back out to the next location. (i.e., if going to Taronga Park Zoo you cannot catch the ferry on to another location but must return to Circular Quay and board another ferry for the next destination.) Hope I made that clear enough.....:rolleyes:.

To visit the coastal areas on the south side, the hop on/hop off bus will take you to some of those areas (e.g. Bondi Beach).

We, too, checked out the feasibility of the Smartvisit card but found it wouldn't work for us......so many places.....but with so little time..... to make it worth the cost.

We are not on Princess--but still need some help on things to do--as we arrive before boarding our ship--we need to do things on our own first.

I am SOOooooo confused between the different daytrippers-monorail-explorer buses etc. Say we know we want to go to the aquarium & the zoo--would love to just use a get on off but take it first for the whole trip.

Am now looking at the SmartVisit Card..having to order online. It appears to get you into both of those places & most free buses etc....but it is quite $$--BUT--each of those 2 places (also ferry to zoo)also cost & if we didn't have it--we'd pay for that AND any on off rides.. we get in on Friday morning..but I don't want to use that day (or pick it up at the wharf area) so use it Sat-Sun-Mon)..is this something we should buy will it save in the long run or be a waste of money--meaning we can do these things separately? Also in the 4 days we will be there (2 on the ship) I want to go to the market at the Rocks (free) but needing the time.

GADS this can get confusing..also--have given up on the bridge walk--but will most likely do the Pylon (it says free for the museum--so suspect we need to pay to go up)? OK--I'll quit asking more and more questions. I hope this all makes sense :D

It says it is a See Sydney & Beyond Smartvisit Card.

May be a few useful links in my signature. The pylon bridgeclimb site is there, and has an entry fee of $9 per adult, including lookout. Am not aware of the museum being free though. The Pylon is the closest one to the Sapphire's berth (OPT) and should give some nice views of the ship while it is there. Will be berthed in the orange area.

2629392470101343478MPjZdV_ph.jpg

There are some passes that combine different Sydney public transport, but I usually drive or train into Sydney, and don't go sightseeing enough to use these passes. Try this link, for 3 day pass on train, bus, ferry. It has some discounts to attractions built in, and vouchers can be purchased from most TAs.

As far as I know, the monorail is privately owned, and not available on this pass. Not sure how this compares to the smartvisit card.

Hope this helps,

Syl: One thing to keep in mind.......while you can ride the ferries to so many places, zoo, Manly, Darling Harbour, Watson's Bay, to name a few, you do have to RETURN to Circular Quay from that specific location before catching a ferry back out to the next location. (i.e., if going to Taronga Park Zoo you cannot catch the ferry on to another location but must return to Circular Quay and board another ferry for the next destination.) Hope I made that clear enough.....:rolleyes:.

To visit the coastal areas on the south side, the hop on/hop off bus will take you to some of those areas (e.g. Bondi Beach).

We, too, checked out the feasibility of the Smartvisit card but found it wouldn't work for us......so many places.....but with so little time..... to make it worth the cost.

Yes I never thought any different on the ferries--doubt we will continue on anyway--come back & then if time & strength :D let us--then walk to Aquarium or something--I looked around ALL night & I agree too little time to use the $178 SmartVisit Card--Great idea but not going to work for us--so will buy a Hop/on/Off ticket or whichever it is for the most vehicles/ferries/buses--even if a cab to Koala Park (30 minutes) still with entry would be cheaper than the lowest $70 tour there. I suspect tho we will need a taxi for tha tone--can't figure out the route for a bus--but will ask when we buy the tickets for traveling. That park seems to be the only local place to actually pet the animals..unless Featherdale Wildlife Park..not sure where that is--or if it is part of the Koala one. GADS when we get done doing the places we want to see we will NEED a couple SEA days to recoup. I DID look at our ships tours for the day after we board..but they were higher AND not quite what I want--so will do most of that before boarding--leave city stuff for ship days--so don't have to worry about having a non-ship tour that might be late.

Oh I don't have a TA--made the cruise directly with Celebrity. OOPS--this part was for ARXCARDS

May be a few useful links in my signature. The pylon bridgeclimb site is there, and has an entry fee of $9 per adult, including lookout. Am not aware of the museum being free though. The Pylon is the closest one to the Sapphire's berth (OPT) and should give some nice views of the ship while it is there. Will be berthed in the orange area.

2629392470101343478MPjZdV_ph.jpg

There are some passes that combine different Sydney public transport, but I usually drive or train into Sydney, and don't go sightseeing enough to use these passes. Try this link, for 3 day pass on train, bus, ferry. It has some discounts to attractions built in, and vouchers can be purchased from most TAs.

As far as I know, the monorail is privately owned, and not available on this pass. Not sure how this compares to the smartvisit card.

Hope this helps,

Printed off the map etc--GADS it is SMALL to read..may have to include a magnifier...I am STILL up in the air on if I want to use a shuttle/taxi/or the train from the airport--most likely the first two..did find a shuttle online where you have to buy online & then meet at some area of airport by some seating. Just a bit leery of using the train with luggage & then walk up to our hotel (Marriott Sydney Harbour)--might be really hot for us or humid?? so start off cool in another form of vehicle. Will just wander around on Friday when we check in to see things!!

Thanks for the links!

have given up on the bridge walk--but will most likely do the Pylon (it says free for the museum--so suspect we need to pay to go up)?

The Pylon Museum is about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the pylon and is free to get there. To go the rest of the way up to the lookout, there is a cost. Not sure how much it is these days, it's been a few years since I did it.

We were in Sydney 3 full days pre-cruise and then 2 days in the Blue Mountains via the train. We did not purchase any passes or visitors cards as they seemed too expensive to me as well. The one thing we did buy was a ticket for the hop-on/hop-off bus. It is a good way to see a lot of the area but you can't do a whole lot of getting off as there isn't enough time. They don't start until about 9 a.m. and the last run is approximately 3:30 p.m. We got off once and when we were ready to continue, had to wait 20 minutes for the next bus; then we got off to transfer to Bondi and had another 30 minute wait. We did drive by a lot of neighborhoods and sites that would have been fun to explore if we had the time.

We took the ferry to the Taronga Zoo. We've been to the San Diego Zoo plus many others in large U.S. cities, so if I had a chance to do things over I'd probably skip it. Also had to wait quite awhile to get the ferry back--the first one was full. In retrospect, I wish we had gone to Featherdale as it sounds quite special. The aquarium--if you've never been to an aquarium I think it would be most interesting for you. But being from California, we have seen many aquariums. Sydney's was nice, but a very long wait/line to get in.

We spent some time at Bondi Beach, which we enjoyed (ate lunch at Icebergs on a beautiful day). Wish we had time to go to Manly Beach. Went through the Queen Victoria Building (market, inside mall) which was quite amazing. Walked around the Rocks area & Opera House which was very nice. Thoroughly enjoyed our trip via the train to the Blue Mountains where we spent the night at a B&B. I believe there are many tour operators who do day trips via bus to the Blue Mountains and also stop at Featherdale along the way. That sounds like a good trip.

If we were to visit Sydney again, I think I would plot out itineraries via the public buses, ferries and trains; the people there are the friendliest you'll ever encounter, so if you have a question all you have to do is ask. Of course I'm always on a budget. Our trip was a little over 3 weeks--the longest vacation we've ever had. So it sounds crazy for us to be lamenting "we didn't have time". But it was true.

We were in Sydney 3 full days pre-cruise and then 2 days in the Blue Mountains via the train. We did not purchase any passes or visitors cards as they seemed too expensive to me as well. The one thing we did buy was a ticket for the hop-on/hop-off bus. It is a good way to see a lot of the area but you can't do a whole lot of getting off as there isn't enough time. They don't start until about 9 a.m. and the last run is approximately 3:30 p.m. We got off once and when we were ready to continue, had to wait 20 minutes for the next bus; then we got off to transfer to Bondi and had another 30 minute wait. We did drive by a lot of neighborhoods and sites that would have been fun to explore if we had the time.

We took the ferry to the Taronga Zoo. We've been to the San Diego Zoo plus many others in large U.S. cities, so if I had a chance to do things over I'd probably skip it. Also had to wait quite awhile to get the ferry back--the first one was full. In retrospect, I wish we had gone to Featherdale as it sounds quite special. The aquarium--if you've never been to an aquarium I think it would be most interesting for you. But being from California, we have seen many aquariums. Sydney's was nice, but a very long wait/line to get in.

We spent some time at Bondi Beach, which we enjoyed (ate lunch at Icebergs on a beautiful day). Wish we had time to go to Manly Beach. Went through the Queen Victoria Building (market, inside mall) which was quite amazing. Walked around the Rocks area & Opera House which was very nice. Thoroughly enjoyed our trip via the train to the Blue Mountains where we spent the night at a B&B. I believe there are many tour operators who do day trips via bus to the Blue Mountains and also stop at Featherdale along the way. That sounds like a good trip.

If we were to visit Sydney again, I think I would plot out itineraries via the public buses, ferries and trains; the people there are the friendliest you'll ever encounter, so if you have a question all you have to do is ask. Of course I'm always on a budget. Our trip was a little over 3 weeks--the longest vacation we've ever had. So it sounds crazy for us to be lamenting "we didn't have time". But it was true.

We will be going to the San Diego Zoo end of Sept after our cruise to Alaska ends there..we were there 40+ yrs ago..so looking forward to going back...so maybe Sydney's Zoo isn't as important then.

Think I will leave it towards the time we will be living on the ship before we stay overnight & have the whole next day also (so if we have the time will still see the zoo, but lower on our agenda)...I ALWAYS enjoy aquariums--we now live in the midwest & I am a West Coast gal...so not alot of water around here...except for the nasty pouring down we got today..just a different kind of water:D

In looking at the stuff for the Blue Mts--we aren't too interested in them. I MUST feed or pet a Kangaroo & see a Koala up close I understand you are not allowed to hold them--but you might be able to pet one.

So I may speak with someone at our hotel on the Koala Park..but can get to the other places via walking or the ferries.

Thanks for the info.

Yes I never thought any different on the ferries--doubt we will continue on anyway--come back & then if time & strength :D let us--then walk to Aquarium or something--I looked around ALL night & I agree too little time to use the $178 SmartVisit Card--Great idea but not going to work for us--so will buy a Hop/on/Off ticket or whichever it is for the most vehicles/ferries/buses--even if a cab to Koala Park (30 minutes) still with entry would be cheaper than the lowest $70 tour there. I suspect tho we will need a taxi for tha tone--can't figure out the route for a bus--but will ask when we buy the tickets for traveling. That park seems to be the only local place to actually pet the animals..unless Featherdale Wildlife Park..not sure where that is--or if it is part of the Koala one. GADS when we get done doing the places we want to see we will NEED a couple SEA days to recoup. I DID look at our ships tours for the day after we board..but they were higher AND not quite what I want--so will do most of that before boarding--leave city stuff for ship days--so don't have to worry about having a non-ship tour that might be late.

Oh I don't have a TA--made the cruise directly with Celebrity. OOPS--this part was for ARXCARDS

Koala Park is quite a long way from the city and would cost you at least $60 one way in a cab. If you are going to go there, I suggest you go on an organised tour. It is not near any public transport. Ditto for Featherdale. The ads for Featherdale say it is only 45 mins from the city. That might be true at 2am, but the traffic in Sydney can be quite horrendous.

I think they are both fairly ordinary places to visit. You would be much better spending a day at Taronga Park Zoo.

Koala Park is quite a long way from the city and would cost you at least $60 one way in a cab. If you are going to go there, I suggest you go on an organised tour. It is not near any public transport. Ditto for Featherdale. The ads for Featherdale say it is only 45 mins from the city. That might be true at 2am, but the traffic in Sydney can be quite horrendous.

I think they are both fairly ordinary places to visit. You would be much better spending a day at Taronga Park Zoo.

Oh BUMMER....I really was hoping for Koala Park--I thought perhaps $30 for cab but WOW--guess I better not have my heart set on that. Are there any buses or trains that go out there? Not sure I ever found a tour including Koala Park.

Thanks for the info on it before I really got into going there--back to hunting on a tour--am thinking I did run into a tour that did include Featherdale--but as I have said not Koala.

Oh BUMMER....I really was hoping for Koala Park--I thought perhaps $30 for cab but WOW--guess I better not have my heart set on that. Are there any buses or trains that go out there? Not sure I ever found a tour including Koala Park.

Thanks for the info on it before I really got into going there--back to hunting on a tour--am thinking I did run into a tour that did include Featherdale--but as I have said not Koala.

Just mentioned you could prebuy vouchers for the public transport pass from a TA in the U.S. You can still wait till you get into Sydney to purchase if you need to. You do need to travel a lot to get value from them though.

Tour operators don't seem to think there is value in a tour to Koala Park by itself. Distance alone makes it expensive to run a bus tour from the city to here (over 20 miles). As already mentioned, a taxi is going to be dearer than you were quoted. Have found some tours on Google that include Koala Park with another activity.

Koala Park & Harbour luncheon cruise

Koala Park & Aussie Duck

May also be possible to catch a ferry cat to Parramatta, then $40 (guess) round fare for a taxi to Koala Park.

Koala Park is no comparison to Taronga Park ( which is probably no comparison to San Diego)

Cheers,

Just mentioned you could prebuy vouchers for the public transport pass from a TA in the U.S. You can still wait till you get into Sydney to purchase if you need to. You do need to travel a lot to get value from them though.

Tour operators don't seem to think there is value in a tour to Koala Park by itself. Distance alone makes it expensive to run a bus tour from the city to here (over 20 miles). As already mentioned, a taxi is going to be dearer than you were quoted. Have found some tours on Google that include Koala Park with another activity.

Koala Park & Aussie Duck

May also be possible to catch a ferry cat to Parramatta, then $40 (guess) round fare for a taxi to Koala Park.

Koala Park is no comparison to Taronga Park ( which is probably no comparison to San Diego)

Cheers,

OK--Great thanks for more info--will pretty much give up on Koala unless within another tour--will check out those tours you mentioned--I have only been looking on AUS sites not google..as don't have a TA--this is something I will check into myself..there is a pricey tour in Melbourne that is off the ship for 7 hours & it sounds like it might be more into closer visits with the animals I mentioned...will go back on the ship stuff & reread it & then see what I can find about it online...you have been a bunch of info for me..

Koala Park & Aussie Duck

Cheers,

OOPS--I HAD written but dumped it off before submitting it:( I like 3 of the tours..can take it alone for $65AU or with Aquarium $86AU but the more I think about it the one with the Ducks also sounds like a fun way to see some of the sites while running around in the silly duck boat, that is $115..they all pick up at hotels. I really must touch or hold a Koala & Kangaroo--so any thoughts on which of the 3 would be the best money spent? We CAN walk another time to the Aquarium..so perhaps the Duck would be the most fun??

You did good--this has given me lots of choices...now I feel like I am back on track to get up close & personal with Roos & Koala's....:D :cool:

If you are planning a trip to the mountains as well, most operators include a trip to featherdale. A lot also drop you where the olympic site is. That is worth a look. The parks there for any one interested in conservation is amazing plus you get to see the olympic stadium (changes it's name often depending on who is paying the advertising). Then you get a ferry back through the river lots of lovely homes along the way and sights many do not get to see. It is a full on day but comparing costs with going in taxi toi koala park it would be most economic

Syl: We have booked two tours with a company whose link is posted below. One is the Blue Mountains that includes Featherdale (koalas), among other stops, and the river cruise back to Circular Quay. It's a 9 hour tour for a very reasonable price. Pick up at your hotel. (I don't think I've posted this link before.....:o). The 2nd tour is the Hunter Valley Wine & Cheese tour.

http://www.activitytours.com.au/

Syl: We have booked two tours with a company whose link is posted below. One is the Blue Mountains that includes Featherdale (koalas), among other stops, and the river cruise back to Circular Quay. It's a 9 hour tour for a very reasonable price. Pick up at your hotel. (I don't think I've posted this link before.....:o). The 2nd tour is the Hunter Valley Wine & Cheese tour.

http://www.activitytours.com.au/

Hi Ozland,

These tours seem to be just what we are also looking for! Thanks for the information. How did you hear about the company? Any references or recommendations, or just be googling?

Hi Sharon!

I originally found the tour company by googling. I then e-mailed them and requested more information..... they were most responsive and helpful via email. (At one point I read a post somewhere, from someone, who had toured with this company and the recommendation was very favorable.....I just don't remember where or who.... :( )

Glad to be of help......:)

That Blue Mountains, Featherdale etc tour looks like good value. You will get to see a lot of Sydney and also some idea of its urban sprawl. But you will also get to see and do quite a few different things.

Also, on your river cruise you will go past my place at Cabarita, so don't forget to wave. Except I'll probably be at work.:(

Archived