How long can I wait to book? Please advise

I am trying to talk my parents into going on a Disney Cruise with me, but they have some financial uncertainties that won't be known until possibly the end of June. I would like to book a cruise for anywhere between September and November. How long can I wait and still book? We would be looking to go economical, so a Cat 12 would suffice, though I wouldn't mind a nicer one. I have heard about upgrades sometimes. Are they free or do you have to pay for them if they are offered after you book? What month out of those would be best for weather? Any hints, tips or advice would be appreciated.

Technically you can probably book a cruise up to about 5 days before the cruise is schedule to depart, but their is no gurantee that cabins will be available.

To book a cruise all you need to do is to put down a deposit. with the balance due 75 days before the cruise.

If you are planning on going on the cruise no matter if your parents can join you or not, book your cabin now. If your parents definitely won't know if they can join until after the 75 day point, then hold off on booking their cabin. If they find they can go, provided a cabin is available they can book then. Just make sure your reservations are "linked". When they or your call to make their reservations, they (or you) will tell that you want to book the cabin and you want this new reservation linked to your families existing reservation.

Keep in mind also that rates tend to climb as time goes by so I would also recommend booking a cabin now, you can always cancel later.

Upgrades are very random but if you're lucky enough to get them they're free. We've been fortunate and have been upgraded on both of our DCL cruises, others have never received an upgrade, go figure. You can also try to get an upgrade at the port upon checkin but those you have to pay for.

We've cruised in late October and late November and have enjoyed it both times. The water at Castaway Cay is noticeable cooler in late Nov/early Dec but the xmas decorations add a great touch to the cruise. We enjoyed this time of year enough that we have another non-Disney cruise booked for this coming Dec and we have a 7-day Disney cruise booked in 08 for late Nov/early Dec.

September you take more of a chance with hurricane season compared to Oct/Nov but the rates are lower and the cruiselines do a pretty good job skirting around the hurricanes. Personally I prefer not to risk cruising in Sept since we usually do a pre or post-cruise stay in Orlando and a hurricane can definitely dampen pre and post-cruise stays (in fact, it happened to us during our pre-cruise stay in Oct-05).

I'd recommend booking as far ahead as possible. I've noticed that with Disney, the rate tends to climb as time goes by - we booked our Cat. 6 cabin in January for Feb 2008, and the price has already shot up by $200 per person.

I think Gatour's advice was very good. Good luck!

Archived