Disembarkation on Freedom

Hi all- some advice, please! We're considering a December cruise on FOS. What is the earliest anyone has gotten off the ship? (a possible flight is 1030, and we should be at the airport by 0830)

Thanks in advance

I haven't done the Freedom yet but I have a 10:20 flight and plan on making it. I have spoke to some pax who were at the airport by 7:30 , doing the self disembarkment. I leave on the Liberty in 3 weeks, I am going to check it out , to see if everythings runs smooth( and I know there are times it doesn"t) what is the earliest you can get off the ship. By doing the self disembarking, you can get off as early as 6:15am. That is if the ship is in port on time. LOL

Oh heavens you BETTER do self debarking...lol. THAT Freedom debarkation and trip through Customs was the LONGEST I have EVER seen on any cruise. I swear!

We waited till our color was called at 10am and we think, great we'll just sail through customs and be on our way. Nope. We walk off the ship and right THERE is the line. You stand in line to let your Sea Passes be run through the computer to make sure they know you are off the ship. THAT line goes across the walkway. Then another line goes the length of the terminal. Then THAT line comes back UP the terminal. THEN you go through customs. :eek:

There were 5 customs agents for all of those people.

Our color was called at 10am, we made it to the airport at Miami airport at noon.

SO either book a later flight or self debark at 6:15.

We did the self and valet on the Freedom this April. Got in line at 6:15 (with all our bags) and were getting into a taxi at 6:30AM. We gave our suitcases to the airline rep after leaving the ship (the handoff point could easily have been missed) and walked directly to a taxi...there was hardly a soul to encounter. It was by far the easiest way to get off a ship. Would we do it again...it depends on our flight time. We didn't have a flight until 8:30PM and had a rental car waiting with Enterprise...we picked it up at 7AM and were on the beach shortly thereafter. If you are healthy and able to carry everything this is the way to go. (Valet was $10 per person and, YES, our bags did arrive safely back in Norfolk with our flight). RCCL...you have a system that is a hit with us. May I also add...that at 6:30AM it is much cooler in Miami...very relaxing. Now, if you have to have that last-fill-your-belly meal, this isn't for you. Had we not done this we would have had to deal with a zillion hot, sweaty people begging for transportation while dragging their bags behind them. We had encountered this scene the previous Sunday when arriving and swore that we would leave in a life boat if necessary just to avoid that degrading mess. Six ships belching forth sunburned pax is not a pretty sight.

Archived