Road To Hana

Wattle

Ok, another Road to Hanna question. We are from Oz and will be driving on the wrong (or right) side of the road (for us). From maps etc it might be a little bit much for us. Really, is it dangarous:mad: ? Scary:eek: ? or not really that bad:confused: ....It looks so beautilful, but I don't want to stress out too much. Unfortunatly tours are out of the question for us, hire car is the only way. Thanks

The road itself should not be a problem. Other than the one lane bridges and one or two spots where the road narrows to one lane, it's a fairly easy drive. Once you're on the road to Hana, there are no turns to be made which to me would be the hardest thing to get used to driving on the other side of the road. I was hoping some of our posters from the UK or other countries would give their viewpoints. Try to get an early start to avoid traffic and enjoy the trip.

As a UK resident planning on driving the Road to Hana in August I don't think you will have any problems. I find that having a left-hand drive car (when driving on the right) does not tempt you into driving on the wrong side! My only scary moments have been when driving my own car (RHD) in Europe.

Go for it, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Just a bit of trivia, many years ago I attended a postal maintenance school in Norman OK. One of our instructors brought up the thesis that the reason we have tornados in the United States is because we drive on the right hand side of the road, causing the air to rotate counter clockwise when two cars pass. Tornados are unheard of in countries where they drive on the left hand side of the road:) I know, I don't believe it either, but still???

Ok, another Road to Hanna question. We are from Oz and will be driving on the wrong (or right) side of the road (for us). From maps etc it might be a little bit much for us. Really, is it dangarous ? Scary ? or not really that bad ....It looks so beautilful, but I don't want to stress out too much. Unfortunatly tours are out of the question for us, hire car is the only way. Thanks

The road to Hana is a don't miss while on the island of Maui in my opinion. you might meet another couple and let them drive while you just sit back and enjoy the ride. The way I do it while in a country that drives on the left side like St. Maarten or St. Lucia (lots of curves, narrow streets and mountainous roads a lot like the Road to Hana) was to get in behind a local or tour van and that way you can just follow behind them. I usually try not to follow other tourist as they might be on the wrong side also.

The Road to Hana is worth the effort, earl.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think (from reading the info on these boards) the road to Hana is a must do and if we take it easy we will be allright. I think I will bring an Aussie flag with me and hang it on the back window LOL.

Archived