A good giude book for Rome??

We will be in Rome next year for 2 or 3 days precruise and am looking for a good guide book. When I was younger (in my 20's) I travelled every where just using guide books and not hiring tours/guides.

I would like to wing it on our own in Rome with a guide book. Any suggestions or advice?

Is 2 1/2 days enough to see the highlights??? We were thinking of flying in on a Monday mornig and would board Wednesday afternoon.

Thanks so much!

We will be in Rome next year for 2 or 3 days precruise and am looking for a good guide book. When I was younger (in my 20's) I travelled every where just using guide books and not hiring tours/guides.

I would like to wing it on our own in Rome with a guide book. Any suggestions or advice?

Is 2 1/2 days enough to see the highlights??? We were thinking of flying in on a Monday mornig and would board Wednesday afternoon.

Thanks so much!

First do a search on this board using keyword guide books as this subject has come up a lot and there is a wealth of info as well as everyone's fav guide book.Also go to your library and take out sme guide books,read them to see what you like then photocopy thge pages you need so you won't have top lug a book with you.You can also buy a condensed guide book for Rome..just check your local bookstore.What you will need is a good street map and Streetwise maps are good.And yes, 2 1/2 days is good to see the hilites.There is also the HOHO bus that can take you around(info on this board as well on this) and most sights are very walkable from each other.Rome is easy to do on your own IMHO.

I picked up Rick Steve's Guidebook for Rome. It is filled with a lot of information from food to different sights you can do on your own. I have found it very helpful in answering some of my questions.

I love Rick Steve's Italy book! He also has one just for Rome (I believe). The Italy one was plenty comprehensive enough for me as it covered ALL the ports in Italy we will be visiting.

Thanks so much!

I purchased Fodor's Italy 2007 at Barnes & Nobel, which is very informative. There is a large section about Rome, with a pull-out map. I did notice several books dedicated only to Rome, though, so check your local books stores or Amazon.

I think Rick Steves' Rome guidebook has the best practical instructions in terms of getting around Rome and self-guided tours. It's a little light on history though, so I'd suggest doing some reading on that before you go.

For hotels and restaurants, I prefer to read recommendations from others rather than just using a guidebook.

Fodor's City Pack for Rome has one of the best and most detailed maps of the city. You will need a good map that shows all the streets (not just major ones) otherwise it is sometimes hard to figure out if you're heading in the right direction!

I bought Rick Steves Rome guide book. It is very informative but also look at his web site, tons of valuable information available there too.

We are leaving on the 9th(sheesh, already:eek: ) and the only Rome book I am taking is Rick Steves' book.

Good luck and have tons of fun researching.

Peggy

• 4 weeks later...

As a contributing writer for the Fodors and DK Eyewitness guide to Rome,I can only agree that they are excellent. For other insider info and articles check out the different sections of my cultural website elegantetruria dot com .

go to the bookstore and COMPARE as you might like one style of writing over another. Turn to the same information in all books (i.e., Frommer's, Fodor's, Rick Steves, Eye) and read the particulars on the same point of interest then decide.

a good book to read (if you can find it) before your trip would be 'A KEY TO ROME". I think it's out of print but we read it and it really made a difference to our understanding what we were about to see!

Archived