Does this itinary make sense?

matt-heather

After reading lots I have come up with the following tentative itinary for our trip. This will be the very end of August + early September.

Saturday: arrive Anchorage late

Sunday: drive to Seward, do something (sled dogs?, maybe something else)

Monday: one of the Kenai Fjords tours, drive back to Anchorage in the evening

Tuesday: Spend morning in Anchorage, afternoon drive to Denali Park

Wednesday: take the all-day shuttle (or tour) to Wonder Lake

Thursday: more time at Denali (walk on trails, visitor center etc), evening drive to Talkeetna

Friday: take a tour (flight to Mt McKinley?)

Saturday: drive to Anchorage for shuttle to Whittier for cruise

This amount to roughly:
Seward - 2 days
Denali - 2 days
Talkeetna - 1 day
Anchorage - half day

Anyone see any problems with this? (Other than needing more time) Any suggestions?

Thanks
Matt

The only thing you might do would be to reverse it and go to Denali first. Then work your way back south and turn your car in in Seward. (only Hertz had one-way rentals - some suggest renting a car from whoever you get a good rate from for part of the trip, then turning it in and renting the Hertz car only for one day as the rate is $200 a day for one-way) Then there is a shuttle running between Seward and Whittier for $50 per person. This would save you the extra time driving back to Anchorage and then from Anchorage to Whittier. Might cost a bit more, though.

Your itinerary is basically the same as ours in reverse (although you have more time than we do) [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]. We get off the ship in Whittier, take the shuttle to Seward, rent a one-way for the trip to Anchorage and turn it in, then rent another "cheaper" car for the time at Denali and Talkeetna.

It sounds good- but do allow time for Anchorage-it is worth a day alone. Driving back and forth from Seward is a highlight in itself- so I think this portion is fine. Be sure to have an early boat trip so you aren't arriving late into Anchorage. I also would suggest going in this timeframe- going to Seward first- if you are intersted in puffins- they are gone by the first week of Sept. usually. It will be more costly with a one way hertz car and you would best also be willing to exchange your car as above (I always so), but it may take up more time being unfamiliar with the area?? As for Denali Park- no "tour" to Wonder Lake, only the shuttle buses.

Thanks for the advice.

There seems to be 3 ways to add more time in Anchorage without changing everything else. Leave Seward earlier on Monday, leave Anchorage later on Tuesday or leave Talkeetna earlier on Friday.

BQ,
I had come to the conclusion that the time saved (a few hours driving) by taking the shuttle from Seward to Whittier was not worth the extra $ or extra effort of switching cars. You seem to confirm this.

Is there any advantage to taking a 'tour' at Denali vs the Shuttle? (despite the fact that the tours do not go as far)

Jengwen,
I was not sure whether to spend Friday night in Talkeetna or drive to Anchorage. It will depend on what we plan to do in Talkeetna and what time it ends.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Archived