Personal Experience with Herod's Land/Sea Tour anyone?

alvdesign

Has anyone taken Herod's Land/Sea tour? I am planning to take my two teens 14 & 18 and my 70+ parents on the tour and wondered if anyone could give me description of their experience. I want to make sure it's the best choice for everyone.

We absolutely loved his land and sea expeience in March of this year. Herod is fantastic in his knowledge and love of his country. He shares it's history with you in such an interesting way. We saw waterfall,ate jonneycakes and fish cakes,had free water and drinks all day,snorkled to Jalouse Plantation between the pitons,(some of us just sat and enjoyed the natual beauty of that place,)had a wonderful luch at Martha's restuarant...all included....and returned by boat to our cruise ship after photographing the georgeous landscape from the ocean. St Lucia is so beautiful but if we had not had our wonderful experience with Herod...we would never had seen the real St Lucia. He will modify his tour to suit you and your parents as well as the teens will love it. Hope this helps you some. Debbie thompson

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone taken Herod's Land/Sea tour? I am planning to take my two teens 14 & 18 and my 70+ parents on the tour and wondered if anyone could give me description of their experience. I want to make sure it's the best choice for everyone.

We did a private tour in Nov 2006 with Herod and it was fantastic. There were 4 of us (friends were with us) and we had the most fantastic day. I have to say it was a highlight of both that cruise and all the cruises we've done.

Thanks. I'm seriously considering Herod's customizable tour for our June cruise. We have a group going, I just have to confirm that they will all go because he does want a minimum of 10 people. (We have 13 going).

Sounds like a great guy and is already e-mailing me about customizing the tour.

• 1 month later...

Sorry everyone. I started this thread, but somehow lost track of it and never read the replies until today. We are booked with Herod and he has been very reassuring that he will make sure my family and my parents are well taken care of. Another couple with a 13 year old daughter are also joining us. It will be a nice small group. I am looking forward to it. I will try to post a review when we return. We head out in a week on 7/7/07! If anyone wants to contact me directly after our return for a review--you can email me at alvdesign@aol.com

And if any if you June cruisers did take the tour--I'd love to hear from you as well.

Hi. We did meet up with Herod and do the land/sea tour. We did the rainforest instead of the botanical gardens. Do NOT do that. Herod dropped us off on a little road with another guide to hike through the rainforest. We asked Herod about how much walking and he said it was up a little hill and then all down hill from there. WRONG.... it was over 2 hours on the side of a cliff with sometimes only a 12 inch wide path that if you missed your step you were over the cliff. It was wet and very slippery. We were not told in advance of this and some in our group even had on flip-flops. It was beautiful, but treacherous and unless you are in very good shape, not scared of heights, and not afraid to get dirty, poison ivy, and walk in places where you don't even see a path, this is not for you. I wish we had known and we would not have changed the intinerary to include the rain forest.

... Also, after swimming at the beach between the Pitons, we boarded a little speed boat to go back to the ship. We met Herod on the boat at 3:45 and had to be back on the ship by 4:30. At 4:00, we were stranded on a boat that quit running, in sight of the Destiny, but not close enough to swim :(

None of us had our passports with us so if we'd have missed the ship, we would have been out of luck. Luckily, a Windjammer boat came to the rescue. Herod flagged them down, he knew a couple of the guys, and they traded boats with us, and the Windjammer tour guy got us to the ship in time. Herod was a nice guy, but that was cutting it too close for me. If I were you, I'd shorten the tour a little to allow yourself more time to get back just in case. I know that probably wouldn't happen again, but it scared us. We had fun and it was definately an experience we'll talk about for a long time, just a little too close for comfort on the dangerous hike and almost missing the ship.

Wow. Sounds like it was stressful. I will have to ask Herod what we could cut out so that we are not so rushed in the end. My parents have been very worried about missing the boat. They wanted to do Carnival tours for this reason, but I am so not into the 100 people on a bus tour. I like the personalization of a semi-private tour. Thanks for the candid advice. BTW I emailed Herod with my concerns after reading one of your reviews earlier. He has told me he has contracted with a different boat operator for our tour. Hopefully this one is more reliable.

Archived