Getting Passport for Underaged Child when Ex-Spouse is being Uncooperative

My nephew recently went through the seventh ring of legal hell with his ex over a weekend out-of-state trip. (BTW: Women can be just as controlling' date=' bullying, blaming, manipulative, abusive, rude and hurtful and leave the marriage and their children, as men, ladies.) Watch the language in the custody agreement - sometimes it isn't understood similarly by the signatories. Each parent has an equal say in these "shared custody" matters. In many states the courts would not want this in a courtroom, turning it over to a mediator and wasting time until it became moot. Meanwhile the lawyers get richer.[/quote']

If you notice in my post I say ex-spouses... not JUST ex-husbands.

Evolutiondob' date=' we might be a pain in the tushie, just know that we really want this to work out for you!! :)[/font']

Lisa, I agree with you about it working out. I just had a worst case scenerio on this when I asked about making sure all services are available. I was picturing......

He has called the PO.

He knows that nobody will be available that day.

He says he will meet with family on that day.

He's sorry that it can't be done on that day.

He doesn't know what day he can try again.

Just want evolutiondob to have all her i's dotted and t's crossed.

Lisa, I agree with you about it working out. I just had a worst case scenerio on this when I asked about making sure all services are available. I was picturing......

He has called the PO.

My thoughts exactly! It's just what a control freak would do. :rolleyes:

evolutiondob, hang in there. And keep us updated! We are all on the edges of our seats, rooting for you.

Let the church say AMEN again!! Since my ex and I have joint 50/50 custody, I have plenty of free time to date and see people. However, I have not brought anyone around my children in the 8 years I've been divorced because I have not met anyone that I feel would be a long time partner. So, why bother, you know? The way things look, I probably won't get serious about anyone until after the kids are out of the house and in college. Heck, after all of those years of marriage I am in no rush to do it again. I rather enjoy my freedom. It's been a wonderful time for me and I enjoy being single.
Can we get another AMEN? ;)

My thoughts exactly! It's just what a control freak would do. :rolleyes:

evolutiondob, hang in there. And keep us updated! We are all on the edges of our seats, rooting for you.

Can we get another AMEN? ;)

AMEN!!! evolutiondob, I agree with Carol, good luck and congratulations on being the *better* person.

###

For piece of mind (mine ;) ) make sure your post office will be doing so on that Sat. It's Memorial weekend.

When it's all said and done, smile politely and say thank you......... just make sure your head is held high! :D

I called the post office just to double check and they are open on Saturday, May 26.

He has called the PO.

You know, good thing someone is thinking because wouldn't it be just like a difficult ex-spouse to agree to day that they know the post office will be closed so they can say I tried. But, fortunatley for me, the post office is open that day.

I know . . . you're right. But, honestly, sometimes it's just easier to try to get things done through other means. I hate antagonism and it tends to spiral out of control when I do approach it that way. Trust me, sometimes I want to just go ballistic and tell him what I feel about him and what he's doing. It gets so ugly sometimes. You know, I've been told that often the stonger person has to take the most sometimes.

You'll get your chance...it'll just be down the road after the kids are on their own...plus he'll get his. I firmly believe in the old saying "What goes around, comes around."

Sometimes it just doesn't "come around" soon enough to suit me! :D

Once your children are grown, you will also be able to look back on the situation and know that you were the one who tried to keep their emotional stability and happiness at the max, and that perhaps they've learned a number of sound techniques to deal with their own lives down the road.

For what that's worth, at this point, when you're still having to deal with the ______...pick a name for this blank-there were so many! ;)

He has called the PO.

Y I K E S ! :eek:

I called the post office just to double check and they are open on Saturday, May 26.

evolution - sorry, that just won't do!! You must call back and ask one more question: "I know you are open on May 26, but just wanted to double check that the passport service person will be available that day too.." :o

Sorry....what if they only have one person doing passports and the person has pre-applied for a vacation day????????? :rolleyes:

I can't rest until you know the answer to this!! (Perhaps you already asked it and just didn't post the answer to include it.) ;)

evolution - sorry, that just won't do!! You must call back and ask one more question: "I know you are open on May 26, but just wanted to double check that the passport service person will be available that day too.." :o

Sorry....what if they only have one person doing passports and the person has pre-applied for a vacation day????????? :rolleyes:

I can't rest until you know the answer to this!! (Perhaps you already asked it and just didn't post the answer to include it.) ;)

Yes . . . this is what I meant in my earlier post. Around here, the passport office isn't always open when the post office is. Even when it's not a holiday weekend! :o

Thanks alot Sherry. Yes, the post office is open on Saturday so I'm definitely going to be there ready to go when the time comes!!

Yours news is great, if it works. I agree with all the other posters, though, who have said check to be sure you can get it done that day.....don't miss any little detail.

We're rooting for you here.....

Fran in Toronto

evolutiondob, I think you have a real cheering section here. :D So many of us are pulling for a successful end to this story.

And I so MUCH appreciate this cheering section!! You all got me through a very difficult day!!

And I so MUCH appreciate this cheering section!! You all got me through a very difficult day!!

You're very welcome - BUT did you CALL yet?????? :D :D :D :D

Man, aren't we pains in the BU TT???

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to give you all an update on getting the passport for my daughter. On Saturday, May 26 I met my ex-spouse and daughter at the post office. I got there around 8:45 and he showed up at about 8:55. We were the first group of folks in line. At 9:00 the passport section opened and we were in and out in less than 10 minutes. So, I finally have that worry off my mind. Of course, I paid for the passport and filled out the application so it could be mailed to my home - definitely don't want him holding the passport ransom in the future. For those of you who still need to get your passports, I highly suggest that you do it sooner rather than later. The passport processor said that it is taking a full three months now to receive an unexpedited passport.

So, thanks again to all of you for the advice and support and I'm certainly glad that this is over.

I wanted to give you all an update on getting the passport for my daughter. On Saturday, May 26 I met my ex-spouse and daughter at the post office. I got there around 8:45 and he showed up at about 8:55. We were the first group of folks in line. At 9:00 the passport section opened and we were in and out in less than 10 minutes. So, I finally have that worry off my mind. Of course, I paid for the passport and filled out the application so it could be mailed to my home - definitely don't want him holding the passport ransom in the future. For those of you who still need to get your passports, I highly suggest that you do it sooner rather than later. The passport processor said that it is taking a full three months now to receive an unexpedited passport.

So, thanks again to all of you for the advice and support and I'm certainly glad that this is over.

So glad it worked out and he didn't give you anymore grief. Happy Cruising!!

I wanted to give you all an update on getting the passport for my daughter. On Saturday, May 26 I met my ex-spouse and daughter at the post office. I got there around 8:45 and he showed up at about 8:55. We were the first group of folks in line. At 9:00 the passport section opened and we were in and out in less than 10 minutes. So, I finally have that worry off my mind.

YESSSSS !!!!! :)

You got your daughter's passport taken care of, Beary's daughter's friend made it onboard . . . life is good in CC land today. :D

Great news! We're still waiting on 2 copies of DH's BCs so we can apply for his passport. I'm not even going the regular route--we'll pay for the expedited version upfront. I wonder if those are taking forever too.

I know that the passport paperwork says you have to have both parents present, but that is not what two post offices in my area did. My brother got passports for his kids, 5 and 7, without his ex there. She was OK with it, but just couldn't find time to be there or get anything notarized. Also, when we took my son, 13, (different post office) they said only one parent had to be there. My daughter, 17, could have got one without either parent.

:mad: :eek: I hope this is true - haven't seen the Dad in 4 years - don't know where in town he lives - going to hope they don't send letter because he will never allow it - my only hope is to PRAY- my court docs say I must have court approval to leave state - maybe I should just do that!!

I'm so glad you got that taken care of.

daytonaj, yes that is correct but there are exceptions. Just go to the passport site & look at the information. If you need court approval to leave the state, I'm sure you will to leave the country. Just go to the courts now, give them the information & ask for permission to get the passport without his signature.

:mad: :eek: I hope this is true - haven't seen the Dad in 4 years - don't know where in town he lives - going to hope they don't send letter because he will never allow it - my only hope is to PRAY- my court docs say I must have court approval to leave state - maybe I should just do that!!

Actually, when you fill out the paperwork and say you don't know where the dad is and have no way of finding him that should be enough. This is what the passport office told me when I was getting my daughter's passport in 2005.

Thanks- but I just worry that they will send it to last know address and he will use it against me - I am not sure if he has a forwarding address....:o He is not a good influence and would not want to open that door again -since it has been slammed shut for 4 years and been very peaceful!

Thanks- but I just worry that they will send it to last know address and he will use it against me - I am not sure if he has a forwarding address....:o He is not a good influence and would not want to open that door again -since it has been slammed shut for 4 years and been very peaceful!

If I were the one dealing with this type of circumstance, then I would limit my vacation plans to ones I thought I could get approved without risking the child's father getting involved again.

While that might not be the most exciting option, it would seem that, from what you describe, it would not be worth chancing it.

You can always do cruise vacations later...it would not be worth it to me to cruise now if it would even remotely chance that "slammed door" being opened again.

That said, it's your vacation, it's your child, and your life if the ex shows up again. No one on here can tell you definitively what will happen in your case. You will have to make a decision based on what level of harrassment you're willing to potentially subject yourself and your child to.

Archived