How do you manage without a laundry?

mpb43

I"m taking my first cruise this summer with my three kids. I've thoroughly enjoyed the planning process and everyone is really excited. One thing has me stumped though...how will I manage with three kids for 7 days without laundry services? The line I am traveling with does not have a self-serve laundry. I know I can send the clothes out to be cleaned (for a small fortune) or I can basically pack the kid's entire wardrobe.

Between packing for formal nights and multiple changes of clothing, I'm feeling like I will have 8 suitcases.

How have those of you who have cruised with kids delt with this issue?

Thanks!

Sorry but I DO take the entire wardrobe...lol. Everyone in my fam gets there own suitcase, even the 3 year old. I figure 7 dresses for everyone (me and my two girls), countless shoes, 7 different shirts for shorts. A couple of pairs of longer pants/long sleeves.

I reused the jean shorts alot with the kids and paired them with other shirts.

If you have boys, a couple of pairs of khakis will go a LONG way. Once dinner is over, change em before they head to the kids club....back to shorts.

I pack like a mad woman. :D I complain to my husband that his big pants/shoes take up too much space away from MY dresses...lol.

cruisinmama06,

I was hoping you might answer my question. I have learned a lot of information from your posts!

I've always considered myself to be a psycho "pack light" person, but I think this is one of those times I'm going to have to drop that philosophy.

It is going to be fun to dress up. :)

cruisinmama06,

I was hoping you might answer my question. I have learned a lot of information from your posts!

I've always considered myself to be a psycho "pack light" person, but I think this is one of those times I'm going to have to drop that philosophy.

It is going to be fun to dress up. :)

Awww you're so sweet! :D What ages are your children? Are they boys/girls or a mix of both?

I REALLY didn't bring anything back not worn. For boys it's easier cause you can pack the same khakis with different shirts. For girls, it's a little more difficult. BUT girls dresses take up almost NO room...lol. I could fold them into nothing.

My problem has always been shoes. I am just awful.

Remember all of the "liquid" rules if you are flying. THAT is a pain. :( If it's over 3 oz (like sunblock, kid cold medicine, toothpaste, shampoo) then you have to pack THAT in the checked luggage. I had to buy all kinds of 3oz travel sized stuff. But even THOSE have to go into a quart sized bag.

Oh so many rules.

Jean skirts and skorts are also helpful. Our girls wore them to casual dinners and then they wore them to a port or around the ship. They also wore t-shirt-like dresses alot because they could wear them to dinner and then they served as bathing suit covers.

Karysa,

Thanks for the suggestions. That will work well for my daughter.

Cruisinmama06,

My kids are 11 (boy), almost 9 (girl) and 4 (boy) at the time we travel in July. We have actually traveled a bit, but is has been land vacations, and of late, in vacation rentals that are a "home away from home".

I am actually thrilled about the cruise. This will be the first time that I won't still be cooking on vacation, lol!:D

I reused the jean shorts alot with the kids and paired them with other shirts.

If you have boys, a couple of pairs of khakis will go a LONG way. Once dinner is over, change em before they head to the kids club....back to shorts.

I agree with this. While I don't usually re-use the kids' shorts (they're so small anyway--take so little room to pack more), I do pack only a few pairs of pants for both DS and DH for dinner. For a 7-night cruise, I may take only a pair of khaki pants and a pair of black pants with four different shirts. That's two nights' dinner per pair of pants, and then something for the two formal nights. We usually change out of our dinner clothes right after dinner, so really each pair of pants is being worn only a couple of hours anyway. And it saves a ton of space in the suitcase for DD and me to have fresh outfits for each dinner! LOL

I also have had a lot of luck with packing the kids' clothes (including undies and socks) into gallon-size Ziploc bags which are then pressed flat and sealed. If I'm feeling completely neurotic, I sometimes label each bag for the day/port in which I had planned for them to wear that outfit. If you can press the bags nice and flat, it saves a lot of space in the suitcases as well.

One thing I do a little differently than some others here is that I NEVER put all of any one person's clothes into a single suitcase. I put an assortment of each person's clothing into each suitcase so that no one is left completely without clothes if we were to lose a suitcase at the airport/port. :)

Cabinforfour and Cruisinmama06,

These are awesome suggestions. I think maybe I might manage with just 4 suitcases. I love the idea of spreading the clothes around.

Thanks!

On sea days, the kids will be in their bathing suits most of the day. If an article of clothing doesn't have a spill on it, have them wear it twice!!! No one will care or notice!!! If they change into shorts after dinner, they can wear their dinner clothes more than once, also! Mix and Match! Sending a couple of items to the laundry, if neccessary, won't break the bank! Underwear is expensive, so bring plenty of that! You don't know anyone else onboard, so who cares what they think anyway! You and the kids will survive the laundry situation!

I am going on a 14 night in August with DH and 2 DSs (2/6). I was dreading the laundry situation but got great tips from fellow CCers. One is that NCL has a laundry special $25 for everything you can fit into laundry bag. Well obviously I'm going to cram all the kids clothes in there since they're smaller and prices are normally per item. Also I got a coupon book from TA for discount laundry which I'll use for DH/my shorts. Others told me to pack a lot of shirts and enough undies. The idea of changing out of pants after dinner for the boys is great and just hang the pants back up. Good packing to you:)

One is that NCL has a laundry special $25 for everything you can fit into laundry bag.

Wow! That's a great deal. Does anyone know if RCCL has a similar deal? I'll be going on a 14 night cruise with 3 kids next summer. If we don't do laundry, we'll have way too much luggage.

I"m taking my first cruise this summer with my three kids. I've thoroughly enjoyed the planning process and everyone is really excited. One thing has me stumped though...how will I manage with three kids for 7 days without laundry services? The line I am traveling with does not have a self-serve laundry. I know I can send the clothes out to be cleaned (for a small fortune) or I can basically pack the kid's entire wardrobe.

Between packing for formal nights and multiple changes of clothing, I'm feeling like I will have 8 suitcases.

How have those of you who have cruised with kids delt with this issue?

Thanks!

They also make a new, small packet of laundry detergent that you use in the sink. At least it washes a few clothes; Not sure if they also have fabric softener in them. I saw them at Walmart.

I am a maniac about packing light. I agree heartily with everyone about kids being able to wear clothes twice.....once in the beginning of the cruise, and once later on in the week. And yes, change out of fancy clothes after dinner. For the casual nights, that day's tee shirt or casual polo shirt can be kept on and a solid skirt or pant can be added for the nighttime. This skirt or pant (in a neutral color) can be worn for many evenings (perhaps bring 2, different colors, and just alternate nights). I always coordinate the colors of the packed items so that this mixing and matching can be done easily.

When we were in Skagway two years ago I actually did some laundry in the port. I loaded up my carryon....rolled it off the ship to the laundrymat. Started up my loads, noted the time, strolled around for 40 minutes, came back and put the clothes in the dryer, wandered another 45 minutes and then rolled the clothes back onto ship. Now I realize this doesn't work in every port, and it took a lot of research ahead of time, but it was a real life saver. Clothes you need for Alaska are generally a lot bigger than clothes for the Carib or someplace hot. So you can't fit as many into the suitcase.:)

three kids for a seven night cruise amounts to 21 pair of underwear- three suitsuits per childs (total 9) and at least 21 tee shirts. The nighttime wardrobe you can recycle. That mean for boys- three pair of long pants, three dress shirts, and one tie and sportcoat (per child). For girls- take three dresses and matching shoes. Pajamas. Sweat shirts (one each). Then you are done. Flip flops for each child (3)

Have a great cruise!

OK, here's another suggestion: Tide and clothespins!!! I usually bring enough clothes for 1/2 the cruise. If there aren't self-serve laundry facilities on board, then I'll go ahead and hand-wash what I'll need and hang them up on the retractable clothesline above the shower. If you're going to the Caribbean, there is a high level of humidity and wrinkling is minimum. And, as many have suggested, the dinner clothes are only worn for a couple of hours: exchange tops for the boys and use a different sweater over the same dress for the girls. Or, use exchangable sundresses and long-sleeve shirts (gets cold in the dining rooms). Honestly, who really will remember that they wore something similar the night before?? I do the same thing for myself: 2 pairs of dress slacks, 1 dress (for formal night), and exchangable tops. DH brings 3 pairs of khakis and 5 shirts that all match. We typically spend at least 1 night at the buffet and one night with room service in the room (robes anyone???)

If I had to bring enough clothes for everyone to wear something new each day, I'd have about 3 steamer trunks full!!! :D

three kids for a seven night cruise amounts to 21 pair of underwear- three suitsuits per childs (total 9) and at least 21 tee shirts. The nighttime wardrobe you can recycle. That mean for boys- three pair of long pants, three dress shirts, and one tie and sportcoat (per child). For girls- take three dresses and matching shoes. Pajamas. Sweat shirts (one each). Then you are done. Flip flops for each child (3)

Have a great cruise!

More underwear! I almost ran short and I packed 2+ per day. :eek: My kids would start with a clean pair in the morning for breakfast...then change into swimsuits later in the afternoon...then needed another clean pair after their shower and before dinner. So we needed at LEAST 2 pairs per day per person.

I think the laundry room is a deal maker for my hubby. We try to wear some articles of clothing more than once (other than underwear, of course) but there gets to be a point that you want some clean clothes. And we usually get insides, which means anything you wash in the sink will take forever to dry. So on any cruise 7 days or more, we're going to use the laundry room.

I just remembered a couple of other things that have worked for us in the past. We shared dressy sandels. My twins were the same size, 1/2 size smaller than I was and my older DD was 1/2 size bigger and I had recently had a bad ankle sprain so the really high shoes were out anyway so we just mixed and matched for dinner. Their feet have all grown so I am out of their shoe sharing club.

One that may help though is a reversible skirt. We found sporty skirts that the girls loved. One side had a print and the other was a solid color with stripe detailing. I picked up a couple of dressy ones for my mom recently so this may be an option for adults looking to save space as well.

The best $10 you can spend is on the Tide to Go pens, OxiClean spray spot remover, and Shout wipes.

I am the worlds worst about spilling down my front and these little items have saved the day more than once. OxiClean used to have some wipes that were awesome and didn't leave a ring on your clothes, but I haven't been able to find them lately. I got the spray, just haven't tried it yet.

Also, take clothes with patterns. That hides a multitude of spots and spills in case you do have to recycle.

Happy Sails!

febreeze is a lifesaver. i just went on a school trip and my roomies and i used almost a whole bottle of febreeze on just about everything, we used it on practice clothes and our performance uniforms and even our beds. our room always smelled so nice cuze we febreezed everything (the hotel had just opened for the season and it was kinda musty in the rooms). not to mention we could re-wear practice clothes and our uniforms smelled citrusy and not sweaty like everyone elses. they also make the extra strength scent in different sized bottles so you dont have to take the huge bottle

It depends on the length of the cruise and where you are sailing. I have found that the only thing that I need to rinse out at night are underwear. I tend to just throw my underwear and my son undies on the floor of the shower as I am washing and then I scrub them with a little shampoo- rinse and hang dry on the shower clothes line. I leave them there overnight and they are usually dry by the time we shower the following evening.

As for daywear- I have found that I don't dirty my things. I wear jogging suits in the AM- until I change for the pool with swimsuit and coverup- then shower and go to dinner in eveningwear, which I hang up before bed. So apart from my wet swimsuit- nothing really gets dirty.

As for my kids, I bring 2 shirts per child per day. 2 swimsuits. Three pairs of shorts and enough long pants for the each evening in the diningroom. If it is a 7 night cruise- I bring 7 pairs of pants.

Sometimes I get home and the only thing dirty are our socks.

I have found that a Tide-to-Go pen, Shout wipes or OxiClean spray spot remover are the life savers for me. Usually your clothes are just going to get a little spot on them; the quick fixes will make it look like you washed it. Oxi Clean used to make some wipes that were the BEST, took out the spill and didn't leave a ring or spot. I haven't seen them, but now they have something in a little tiny sprayer.

Good luck and happy sails!

Archived