RCCL Visa points redemption question

I mailed in our 50,000 point coupon to get $500 off our booking. I was told it would appear just as a payment would. I've been watching it online and no change to our balance due.

Called RCCL today and they say they hold all certificates until it's 70 days before sailing and then they redeem them. Does this sound right?

Our cruise isn't until Oct 2008, thus they will hold them until Aug 2008. By that time, they will have expired, but I have already redeemed them, so the expiration should be a mute point, right? We are about to mail a second one to them.

I sure hate for them to hold them that long. Hope they don't lose them. I scanned them, so I still have copies. I am disappointed that they are not going to go ahead and credit them to my balance.

Cheryl

Yes they do, unfortunately. They process the coupons for the most current sailings first. As long as it is applied before final payment, you should be OK. I would check back with them monthly. Sometimes when they get somewhat caught up, then they start to process the later sailings.

As long as you made a copy for your records, the expiration date should be a mute point, since it is in the possession of RCI now and the expiration date only applies to your booking.

I found this policy a bit irritating actually myself. I called last week to check on a $150 credit that I sent in a month ago, and was told the same policy- That they file them away in order of cruise dates and credit them as the dates approach. Interesting, but the previous one I sent in 3 months ago was credited within 10 days..go figure...

:confused: David

I mailed in our 50,000 point coupon to get $500 off our booking. I was told it would appear just as a payment would. I've been watching it online and no change to our balance due.

Called RCCL today and they say they hold all certificates until it's 70 days before sailing and then they redeem them. Does this sound right?

Our cruise isn't until Oct 2008, thus they will hold them until Aug 2008. By that time, they will have expired, but I have already redeemed them, so the expiration should be a mute point, right? We are about to mail a second one to them.

I sure hate for them to hold them that long. Hope they don't lose them. I scanned them, so I still have copies. I am disappointed that they are not going to go ahead and credit them to my balance.

Cheryl

Thay HAVE to wait the 70 days- cause otherwise you could cancel and then get their money back as a refund...

There's a disclaimer on the back that there are no exchanges or refunds. Looks like to me that the only way to get a credit would be if RCCL cancels our cruise, then we could transfer the reward to another booking.

I'll be glad when they get that credited on my account. Guess I'll wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

After being told just two weeks ago to NOT expect the credit to appear until 70 days ahead of departure date (even though my first voucher went through in a short amount of time), I received an email yesterday reflecting the $150 credit on my account...Go Figure.. ( I cruise in October )

David:D

Your credit will probably be posted sooner than 70 days out. My guess is that policy is in place so that they can prioritize the certificates to get the credits in place for those people whose cruises are approaching faster. If they applied them in the order they received them in the mail, the people who sent them in a few weeks or a month before their cruise may not get their credit before they sail.

I'm a bit surprised that you mailed the certificates almost a year and a half before your cruise... alot of things could happen between now and then. It sounds like you are aware that if you don't go on the cruise, you loose the points. I usually send mine in about 2 months before the cruise.

Archived