Armed Guards in Costa Maya?

cruiser3175

I have seen 2 different photos that were taken in Costa Maya that were of armed guards on different threads.

Are there armed guards all over Costa Maya? Are they in Majahual? The ones I saw had machine gun looking guns. I just want to be prepared. I am terrified of guns. Thanks for any info.

Both the Mexican Army and Navy provide protection for your safety (and Mexico).

The Army has a check point as you leave the area. This is to check for drugs, weapons and illegal aliens (from Central America and South). Hand guns are mostly illegal in Mexico.

The Navy (you pass them on the way to Mahahual) provides beach protection. And patrols the waters. They have some impressive boats - very nice with 3 large outboards.

Be glad they are there for your protection. The area is very safe with very little crime.

Different countries use their military differently.

On every cruise I've been on to Cozumel, Coasta Maya, etc...there are always armed police or military at the pier. They are there as additional security. I personally don't mind seeing them as I feel they are displaying concern for the visitors to their country, and are dedicated to making sure we are safe.

Enjoy your trip!

It's not just in Costa Maya or Cozumel...they provide protection all over Mexico...especially the beach communities. They provide protection as we have police officers here that provide protection. We are never alarmed when we see police patrolling a popular attraction here, and likewise in the ports of Mexico.

You should always use the same precautions you would use when traveling anywhere. But, no special cause to be alarmed.

You will see them in Mahahual as well as at the pier area. We were there last week and spent the day at The Cat's Meow. Trucks full of armed soldiers drove past a few times, but it didn't bother us. It was a wonderful day. Just remember that they are no threat to you and don't let them spoil your day!! Our day in Costa Maya was amazing!

I've cruised 3 times before to Mexico areas ... maybe I just never noticed the armed guards. I am just truly scared of big guns. Just my thing, I guess. OMGoodness... if I were to see a big truck full of them... I'd probably faint. I would feel like I was in a war zone or something. I mean, really, why big machine guns? I am just a scaredy-cat. Thanks for all the info.

Both the Mexican Army and Navy provide protection for your safety (and Mexico).

The Army has a check point as you leave the area. This is to check for drugs, weapons and illegal aliens (from Central America and South). Hand guns are mostly illegal in Mexico.

The Navy (you pass them on the way to Mahahual) provides beach protection. And patrols the waters. They have some impressive boats - very nice with 3 large outboards.

Be glad they are there for your protection. The area is very safe with very little crime.

Different countries use their military differently.

.....so if it so safe........why is there all the armed....gun toting soldiers around....:confused:

.....so if it so safe........why is there all the armed....gun toting soldiers around....:confused:

To provide security to one of their Country's top sources of income; tourism. The last thing Mexico wants, is some drug lord attacking a cruise ship. Mexico has enough problems with their current drug war. The last thing they want is for the Tourist industry to slow down. They saw that recently with the high tourist season in Acapulco. Even though tourists have never been targeted there either.

I live right near Washington DC and seriously armed military or police personnel is a not an usual site post 911. Additionally on all my travels overseas the past 10 years, the practice of officers with large, noticeable weapons is a commonality. When exiting the subway in Paris I walked right in to a cop with automatic riffle back in 1999. It is a way of life in other countries as a visible deterent. Not a bad thing in my opinion, it just is what it is...

When we were in Playa del Carmen these two officers were on Avenue 5. They were carrying fully automatic rifles. As my DW and I walked past, she was a little behind me, I turned to take the picture. One of the officers grabbed my DW and said "$5". I asked for what and he said $5 dollars for a picture. I let him know I had already snapped the photo and started walking away. My DW will never let me forget that.

The security is for your protection and the protection of the tourist industry.

Playa_Police.gif

Play del Carmen Police

I don't know why I kind of freaked out about the machine gun people. Surely I've seen this. Guess ya'll are right ... they are there for our protection. I haven't ever been to a US city where I noticed men with machine guns (No NY or DC). Now possibly after Hurricane Katrina I saw men with big guns. I guess just seeing those photos, being as it is not a common thing for me to see, scared me. Thanks ya'll for making me feel better about it.

I have seen 2 different photos that were taken in Costa Maya that were of armed guards on different threads.

Are there armed guards all over Costa Maya? Are they in Majahual? The ones I saw had machine gun looking guns. I just want to be prepared. I am terrified of guns. Thanks for any info.

We just got back from Costa Maya. I did a lot of research and this was never mentioned. YES!! as soon as you get off the ship there are gaurds with guns and there is a sniper on top of the orange building. They are there for our protection, you have to remember you are in a third world country. I was shocked to see them, but it was not a big deal, they don't point them at you or anything like that. I read on here about the cat's meow and we did take a taxi to Mahajual. At first you are like "are we going to Mahajual, but they took us right there and then annouced that the cab ride back would be $2.00 pp. We had a very good time, very relaxing, we ate at the Cat's meow and then crossed the road to their other tent and chairs and laid on the beachfront. I would recommend going. I felt comfortable. I would go again in a heart beat. The coconut shrimp and the carribean chicken sandwhich were AWESOME!!!!!! Barbara the owner of Cat's Meow very friendly. Oh you have to get the gaucamole. YUMMMMM!!!! Hope this helps. Just do your research and you will feel very comfortable in your decisions. I did and was!!!! This was also our first cruise.

Barbara is very funny. Did she tell you about the cat's birthday party last year? About 250 people came to it - last June. No one showed up for hers. :)

No, we mainly talked about the hotel she is wanting to build, people were just starting to come in to town so she was out talking and getting them to come there. I would hold up the shrimp and show them the size and say how good it was. I am really glad that we went there. I was not as sold on the ship, it was nice, just rocky. I am wanting to go again. It was a wonderful vacation. I am sorry I had to come back to reality. LOL!!!! I guess I will have to go on another to really get hooked HAHA!!! This sight was alot of help in the planning.

• 1 month later...

We were in Costa Maya in May and yes there were a lot of soldiers walking around with big guns. There was the sniper guy with a machine gun when you entered the town and we did see a lot of trucks full of guys with guns. While on our tour three soldiers came walking out of the bush with machine guns. Although I KNOW they are there for protection it did creep me out a bit...not enough to ruin the trip...but enough to make me know that, although I really enjoyed this port, I would never go on a vacation just to Costa Maya. My hubby thought me silly...but I just kept thinking "why are there so many of them and why such big guns?". We have police in our city...but they don't carry machine guns and ride around in trucks with cops in the back and all with big guns.

I'm not trying to scare anyone...it's just how I honestly felt...along with a couple of others on our tour (the guys coming out of the bush did not have their guns pointed to the ground...they certainly weren't pointed at us, but they just kind of had them casually pointed around...our cops keep their guns holstered...not just in their hand casually pointed around).

I'm also NOT saying I didn't feel "safe"...just a little creeped out by it all, and very glad I was on an excursion...not just wandering around on our own.

Ok - thats enough of that...just wanted to give one persons perspective.

Take care

Tracey

I'm sorry, I haven't caught on to this conversation yet..... Big Guns, are you talking rocket launchers, M-60 machine guns, or are you talking about automatic military rifles.....

I know for those who haven't traveled outside the US or been around the baddest of America's inner cities or even visited a prison your gonna be surprised to see people carrying this type of weapon.... It may not give you a warm fuzzy feeling but the most requested weapon for our local law enforcement is a M-16 type of weapon. In addition to kevlar vest... The bandits are out gunning the law...

So if you get the willies going to Costa Maya, can you imagine what a person thinks when they wander around the USA and see the firepower on display in nearly Everytown, USA......

Joey

I'm Canadian and so I am not used to soldiers walking around with guns and no I haven't traveled much so maybe I'm just naive. What kind of guns were they? I didn't think it prudent to go up and ask one of them and I would never be able to tell one kind of a gun from another just by looking at it.

As I said...it wasn't enough to ruin the visit to the port...it just made me a tad nervous. I wouldn't vacation just in Costa Maya because of this...but would I visit again on a cruise? You bet.

We also did Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios and although I saw police...I didn't see guys with big guns out.

Am I a wimp? No...just a lady that doesn't like guns and doesn't like having them casually swinging around me. I AM NOT trying to scare anyone...I just think it would have bothered me less if I had expected it...so I thought I'd reply to this thread to give that chance to others who might be bothered by it.

Take care

Tracey

As I recall, the Mexican military men, mostly navy, in the ports at Costa Maya and around town in Cozumel were all armed with M 16 or AR 15 style rifles. The local policia were mostly armed with S&W revolvers, or Sig semi-auto pistols. I can't personally understand why some are afraid or shocked to see this, what with the recent drug cartel and gang violence reported throughout Mexico, to include Cancun. All USA police departments usually issue patrol rifles to their patrol officers, with most choosing the AR 15 platform. Further, all USA ports are also patrolled by our Coast Guard law enforcement patrols, also carrying M 16 rifles and larger caliber weapons. They are always there, whether visible to tourists or not.

Tracey,

My post was not meant to demean or to take lightly your statement. I'm sure that there are people who, while traveling, run into this type of situation and are taken back by the sight.

While many nations, Mexico included, use this tactic to warn away would be trouble makers... "My weapon is bigger than your weapon" or "this is what your gonna deal with if you cause trouble"... it does not give a person a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

I'm afraid that unless we stay put in our homes and towns that this is gonna become more and more of an everyday site.... The world is a changin', and not for the better....

Joey

Joey,

No offense taken...just wanted you to know where I was "coming from".

I agree that it's getting to be a scary world out there...and I am not willing to just sit in my home because of it...just want to know what I'm walking into to be prepared.

Take care

Tracey

Archived