Drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake... have you done it?

Sandy R

Hi Judy - We will be in Skagway on May 21st on Celebrity Infinity.

R - interesting about the box lunch --- wonder if celebrity offers that? will have to post on the celebrity boar.

Rick

Thanks Roy. I thought that I read something about the ship packing box lunches on request too. We might just do that in case we get hungry before we get to Carcross or on the way back. Of course, if Cinnamon Cache is open and I get one of those huge cinnamon buns I doubt that I will be hungry again for a long time!

Take good care of that car for us!

Rick - Spirit Lake Lodge and the Cinnamon Cache are both good places to eat, just a mile from Emerald Lake (there are no services at Emerald Lake). There are two places in Carcross as well, but the food at both is mediocre at best (I don't eat at either anymore).

Murray

Hi...

We took the bus tour to Carcross Canada & LOVED it. We had a GREAT guide & I think that's why.

Road's fine -we went late August & were concerned about possible snow so we booked the tour - back in '01 it was $75pp & there were 6 of us. We stopped for a few photo ops, Emerald Lake & lunch & shops, museum in Carcross. Very few shops - souvenirs only. No wildlife but in '03 I booked my parents on the same tour & Dad saw a wild turkey.

Have fun.

great cruising home

[quote name='Sandy R']I would love to hear from others that have rented a car in Skagway for the day and drove to Carcross and Emerald Lake. When did you pick up the rental car? How were the roads? Did you follow a map... if so where did you get the map? Was the scenery wonderful? How long was the drive round trip, allowing for stopping? Would you recommend it? Any tips?

We'll be in port from 5 am until 8:45 pm. I'm thinking we'll pick up the car at 9 am and be back in plenty of time to see a little of Skagway and be able to have dinner on the ship. What do you think?

Thanks for any input... Sandy R[/QUOTE]

• 5 weeks later...
Here it is April 23, 2005 and I have been reading every word of this long post. We are doing this drive in July on Sun Princess. It sounds great and I can't wait! I wanted to put this thread near the top so others could enjoy it too.

We will be back from our excursion into the Yukon long before you go so I will try to get a review up and tell you all about it. Watch for a review of the 5-14 cruise on the Coral and pictures on Webshots. There are several people on this forum who will be in Skagway the same day we are and they will probably write reviews too. We leave in less than 3 weeks and I can hardly wait.

Archived