Drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake... have you done it?

Sandy R

I would love to hear from others that have rented a car in Skagway for the day and drove to Carcross and Emerald Lake. When did you pick up the rental car? How were the roads? Did you follow a map... if so where did you get the map? Was the scenery wonderful? How long was the drive round trip, allowing for stopping? Would you recommend it? Any tips?

We'll be in port from 5 am until 8:45 pm. I'm thinking we'll pick up the car at 9 am and be back in plenty of time to see a little of Skagway and be able to have dinner on the ship. What do you think?

Thanks for any input... Sandy R

Hi Sandy,

Since I live in Carcross and have a PO box in Skagway, I make that drive a LOT! Skagway to Emerald Lake and back is 150 miles, but you should allow at least 5 hours, as there's a lot to see. There's no need for a map, as there's only one road, a good two-lane paved one. However, the free Guide to Skagway available all over town has a map. You can see the road and get a bunch of information about it at http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

Murray

If one rents a car and crosses the border into Canada wouldn't we need to take our passports with us. I thought the cruiseline holds our passports whilst we are on the cruise???

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;8;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until Alaska 5/8/2004 Diamond Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;6;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Until Millenium 9/6/2004 to Europe!

Thanks Murray...we certainly have 5 hours to allow. Thanks for the website. I'm really pleased to hear there's lots to see.

Zebra... Princess doesn't keep your passports!

Would love to hear from a cruise passenger that has done this drive... thanks!

Sandy R

we rented a car from Avis last summer and took this exact drive, Avis is a short walk or shuttle from the ship, we drove to Carcross, Emerald, stopped in a museum at Caribou Crossing and drove to the end of trail 98, A very good two lane highway, and beautiful views, Doing the exact same thing this year, except we are drive to the capital of city of Whitehall,since we will be on Skaway longer, This was one of the highlights of our trip, yes you do need you passport

For clarification- the Yukon capital is Whitehorse. The most scenery is the first 75 miles. It drops off significantly after Emerald Lake. I have driven it several times. But you may want to consider heading to the Park Service visitor center first- take a free walking tour, see the museum, movie. It will greatly enhance your later drive. http://www.nps.gov/klgo/index.htm

Be sure to reserve your car NOW.

As a first time visitor to Skagway, what would you recommend-renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake or doing the Whitepass RR? I know the train doesn't go as far but I don't know when my next trip back to Alaska will be and I want to get as much out of it as I can.

We are sailing May 29th on the Radiance of the Seas and have already reserved a car through Avis. I found a website which has a breakdown of sites to see by milepost (and km for the Yukon!) along the Klondike Hwy between Skagway and Whitehorse and even includes general parking areas for waterfalls, view the Whitepass RR, etc....:

Plan on bringing this with us and going as far as Emerald Lake. Can't wait!!! Hope this is helpful icon_smile.gif

http://www.bellsalaska.com/myalaska/klondikehwy2.html

NCL 11/96

Windjammer 6/98

Splendour of the Seas 8/02

Radiance of the Seas 5/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Budget Queen:

For clarification- the Yukon capital is Whitehorse. The most scenery is the first 75 miles. It drops off significantly after Emerald Lake. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Since we have a hike and float trip already reserved until 1:00PM or so, do you think it's reasonable and worthwhile to rent a car planning to go no further than Emearald Lake? Is that in Canada?

Thanks!

Those of you that rented a car through Avis, did they ask for a credit card to reserve? When I called they just asked for the date , name and type of car and that was it. I thought it was odd that they didn't ask for a credit card.

Avis asked for the same info from me and I too was surprised that they did not ask for a credit card number! I plan on calling again a few weeks prior to our trip to confirm the reservation.

NCL 11/96

Windjammer 6/98

Splendour of the Seas 8/02

For those of you who have a car reserved with Avis...did you reserve through the 800 NO.?

Or did you call the local no.? It seems to me I read somewhere that someone rented through the 800 no...and when they went to pick up the car...they didn't have a reservation for them. They did have cars available for them so they lucked out there...but I'd verify the reservation through the local Avis in Skagway just to be sure.

CaribbeanCrazy

tn_14.gif

I also reserved a car from Avis for August... and no credit card info was asked for. I also read on this board that the Skagway Avis doesn't always get the central reservation info, that it is best to call the Skagway Avis directly to confirm. That said, apparently the Avis in Skagway is seasonal and doesn't open until sometime in May. I have 2 phone numbers, posted, the 1st 907/243-4300, but someone posted this # gets you to central reservations. Another poster said 907/983-2247 is the correct phone # and to speak to Abba, that she is very helpful. I tried the 2nd # but got no answer so I have no idea if it's a viable #. I plan to try again the beginning of May. Hope this helps.

Sandy

The Cinnamon Cache Bakery has a website: www.yukonalaska.com/buns/ It doesn't say whether they're open year round but it doesn't seem to be a tourist attraction so I would imagine the town of Carcross frequents the bakery year round... IMHO. They list their phone number as 867/821-4331. In my research I came across an interesting fact... the name Carcross was actally shortened from the longer version: Caribu Crossing. Can't wait to get to Skagway and do the drive!

Sandy

I can't remember the number I called,but it wasn't an 800. I think I may have tried the Skagway # with no answer and then maybe tried Anchorage and told them I wanted to rent a car in Skagway and then I was switched to someone else. I will call and confirm next month.

You may want to try Sourdough Vehicle and Bicycle Rental, Darla Dorn is the owner and was very helpful. We reserved an "Astro" type van and a Saturn sedan. She did, however, request a credit card guarantee. Got their name off the Skagway visitors site. Their e-address is sourdoughrental@yahoo.com

Good luck!

I reserved a car from Avis online, then followed up with a phone call to confirm my reservation. They said not to worry, that even though the Avis office in Skagway is seasonal, that I was assured a car. I will still call them in May when they open to confirm this. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the price of gasoline in Skagway? It is $1.75 here and going higher!!

Sandy

Hi Sandi,

I think the price will be about $2.18 to $2.25 at the present time. We did the drive last June and there is only one service station in Skagway. I think at that time we paid $1.79 a gallon. We drove just north of Emerald Lake before heading back. Emerald lake is beautiful and this is coming from someone who lived in Ancorage for four years back in the 1980's. Here is a clue that might help in renting a car. Get the airport code for Skagway and enter it into Yahoo car rentals. Our trip back from Emerald Lake was a suprise when we drove up on Mother Bear and her three cubs. This was about 10 miles out of Carcross going towards Skagway. To say the least the wife freeked! on this one. We were able to show people who took the train pictures of wild life from our digital camera. Theres not much of a chance to see bears when riding the train. When at the Avis car rental ask the girl's at Avis if any bear sightings have been made. Most likely the bears are in and around Carcross. Good Luck and enjoy. Tim

Norwegian Sky 5/03

Norwegian Star 11/03

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Sea 5/04

Thanks, Tim, for the info! I had read here before about being able to see more wildlife from the highway than the train. Glad I decided on the car. Plus four of us get to go for less than the price of one!

Rhapsody of the Seas 9/02

Sandi,

Sounds like to me you have figured it out. Don't forget the worlds smallest registed desert is located out side of Carcross. If you blink you will miss it. Another suggestion, the night before the drive, order room service (Take along Sandwiches). There is a lodge at Emerald lake that claim to have the worlds best apple studdle. This drive is what I call very scenic. Take it from someone who has driven the Alaska Highway. Have fun. Tim

Skagway gas - regular gas today (April 12) is $2.21 a gallon.

Cinnamon Cache hours - they aren't open year-round, but are open 7 days a week from 8-4 between May 7 and September 23rd this year.

World's Smallest Desert - you can see it (with a description of its development) at http://www.explorenorth.com/library/weekly/aa111700b.htm

Murray

Murray... you are a wealth of information! We've reserved a rental car at Avis. We'll be in Skagway Tuesday, August 24th. I can't wait to try those cinnamon buns and you can bet I'll have lots of film with me. One question... is there any reason to rent a compact car vs. a mid-size or full size. We've reserved a full size in case another couple on the ship want to come along. If a compact or mid-size would be better, we can certainly opt for that. Thanks Murray, for all your help.

Sandy R

Archived