Dinner Suggestions.. Mariner of the Sea

Heading to the Carib. on Sept 9th.. Ocho Rios, Labadee, Cozumel and Grand Caymen.. Does anyone know what nights are the formal nights.. and which night is lobster night?? I want to book a night in Portoinfos.. :D any other special reservations I should make?

Has anyone done the deep sea fishing trip.. or the 2 tank scuba.. or the swimming with dolphins excursion?? are they worth the extra money? Also, I would like to book the hot stone massage.. any tips? I have read they give a hard sell ??? Wouldlove to hear your tips.. and suggestions of things not to miss!

Thanks Kat:D

Sorry can't answer your questions on excursions, but formal nights were Monday and Thursday. Lobster was served on Friday, not one of the formal nights. Definitely go to Portofino...the food and service are amazing. You will love the Mariner!

Ditto to what Shana said - we went to both Chops and Portofino last week on Mariner and LOVED them!

One other reminder - book your reservations to the specialty restaurants as soon as you board. Some of the people at our regular dining room table tried to get reservations later and none were available

When I go to the spa right from the start I tell them very nicely - yet making sure they know I mean it, that I am there to enjoy whatever treatment I have chosen and not buy any products, etc. I tell them that I don't want them to attempt to sell me anything right up front. That has always worked for me in the past.

I would definitely recommend the hot stone massage, it's absolutely blissful! And as barbarah33 stated, if you let them know firmly but politely that you don't intend to buy any products, they're pretty good about respecting that. Besides, it's mostly the facials and the "therapy" type treatments that come with the real hard sell.

As far as other things not to miss, you'll probably hear this a dozen times but definitely don't miss the ice show! And be sure to sample the European-style gourmet sandwiches in the Promenade Cafe (open 24 hours). The Mariner is an amazing ship, I'm sure you'll fall in love! :)

I am still learning my way around this site and I found all the silly questions I asked.. Sorry i have been gone for a few days, but I have found you again (once i figured out I could search my own name.. duh) So thank you for taking the time to anwser my questions... my countdown clock works intermittently.. but only 109 days to go!

:)

DH and DD really enjoy the scuba (in Cozumel, its a drift dive). DD absolutely loved the dolphin excursion but I really only did it to humour her. However, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. If you really want to interact with a dolphin, you'll be glad you went.

Just wondering the cost of the hot stone massage:D and do you need to book it the first day also???

I don't remember the exact price (it's probably more precise to say that I've repressed it :eek:), but it's not cheap. $150 comes to mind -- if you do a search for "spa prices" you can probably pull it up. Edit: I just did a quick search and it looks like it's regularly $175, $155 while in port.

As for when to book: there are two schools of thought on that one. If you take the spa tour on embarkation day (which I highly recommend), they will really pressure you to make your appointments on the spot. And if you have your heart set on a particular treatment on a particular day, it's probably a good idea. But I'm a bit more flexible, so I usually wait for the specials. It varies from cruise to cruise, since it depends on how many appointments they've booked at full price and how many they have to "clearance." But I always visit the spa at least once per cruise, and I've always managed to get a good treatment with a good discount. I just watch the daily planner for the specials. :)

la_croisiere_s'amuse .. thank you so much for the info.. I am just curious if you know.. I was planning to book a massage when we get on the.. can I cancel it without cost.. or do they charge you a fee.. just curious in case we decide to stay in port..

Hubs and I are cruisng at the same time as you :)

As an over the top planner .....obsessed planner i have found this info with regards to the meals (all thanks to these boards) this is lifted from my fun itinerary LOL

Sunday 9th September

• Evening meals - Shrimp Ravioli, Stuffed Chicken, Prime Rib, Veggie Quesadilla, Cod

Monday 10th September

• Day at sea
  • Formal night
  • Evening meals - Wild Mushroom Alfredo Pasta, Sea Bass, Duck, Eggplant Tower, Filet of Beef with Peppercorn sauce

Tuesday 11th September

• 08:00 Dock at Labadee, Haiti
  • Evening meals - Pork Chop, Cheese Tortolini, Salmon, Lamb, Risotto

Wednesday 12th September

• 09:00 Dock at Ocho Rios, Jamaica
  • Evening meals - Turkey Tenderloin, Beef Shoulder Filet, Pasta with Marinara (tastier) with mussls, scallops, shrimp and lobster, Asparagus Tart, "Fresh catch of day"

Thursday 13th September

• 08:00 Dock at George Town, Grand Cayman
  • Formal night & Gala . midnight Buffet?
  • Evening meals - Rigatoni with beef, sausage and peppers, Tiger Shrimp, Chicken Marsala, Vegetarian Chili, Lamb

Friday 14th September

• 10:00 Dock at Cozumel, Mexico
  • Lobster night
  • Evening meals - Thai BBQ Chicken, Fisherman's Plate with Lobster tail and 4 shrimp, Prime Rib, Asian Tofu, Scallop Pasta

Saturday 15th September

• Day at sea
  • Evening meals - Mahi Mahi, Salmon Pasta, Turkey, NY Strip, Indian Vegetable Curry

Im not totally sure about the gala buffet as i havent managed to find that much out about it. However from this we are thinking of eating at chops and Portofino on Wednesday and Saturday evenings (we will visit the main dning room to say our goodbyes before we eat on the Saturday). I one way i think ending our cruise in Portofino would be wonderful but then if its so good, if we were to eat there early on during our cruise maybe we would try and fit it in twice?? A hard decision LOL

These meals may change before September, im not sure how often they change the menus? Anyone?

HTH

Jenk

Do they change the order of the days for the menus? I saw one posted last week which was supposed to have been from the week before and the items were the same, but served on different days. Just wondering, because I'd like to plan which night to do Portofino or Chops. Is there a way to check as soon as we're onboard?

la_croisiere_s'amuse .. thank you so much for the info.. I am just curious if you know.. I was planning to book a massage when we get on the.. can I cancel it without cost.. or do they charge you a fee.. just curious in case we decide to stay in port..

You're very welcome. :) Unless it's changed, you can cancel up to 24 hours ahead of your appointment, otherwise you get charged for it. And congratulations & best wishes for your upcoming wedding! :)

Archived