help with driving to Bayonne, NJ Cruise port

We are scheduled to take the bus from Wilmington, DE but are thinking about just driving from Philadelphia to the cruise port. How difficult is this? We always drive to the Baltimore port and that is very easy. Anyone done recently? Is is safe to leave your car?

I tried to search this but the search feature doesn't seem to be working.

ANy info in appreciated.

Barb C

From Philadelphia to the port should be around an hour or 90 minutes depending on traffic and such. The port is located right off the NJ turnpike and is a very straight run from Philly right up the turnpike or the way I take all the time is 95 N to 195 to the turnpike as there seems to be less traffic that way. We have left our car at the port and it is fine. 15$ a day to park and you can't beat the convenience of arriving at your own time rather than the buses.

Note that the Bayonne terminal is located off Exit 14A of the New Jersey Turnpike. You must take the eastern extension (follow the signs near Newark airport). Occassionally, the extension can have major traffic problems. An alternate route would be to exit the turnpike at Exit 13; follow the signs for the Goethal Bridge (Staten Island). Stay on I-278 about 2 miles to Route 440 North/Bayonne Bridge. Cross back into New Jersey on the Bayonne Bridge. The entrance to the terminal is only a few miles north on Route 440 in Bayonne.

Note that the Bayonne terminal is located off Exit 14A of the New Jersey Turnpike. You must take the eastern extension (follow the signs near Newark airport). Occassionally, the extension can have major traffic problems. An alternate route would be to exit the turnpike at Exit 13; follow the signs for the Goethal Bridge (Staten Island). Stay on I-278 about 2 miles to Route 440 North/Bayonne Bridge. Cross back into New Jersey on the Bayonne Bridge. The entrance to the terminal is only a few miles north on Route 440 in Bayonne.

Going through Staten Island is definitely an alternative, but is out of the way and SI is subject to traffic issues itself. The traffic on the turnpike bridge (the extension) is only where the lanes merge and is usually very quick to get through. I do it nearly every day and there is minimal traffic. Besides once your on the extension, you are less then 2 miles from the boat!

We've never found the traffic that bad going to Cape Liberty. No reason to take any other exit than 14A. Here's the web site for the port:

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/

I have read warnings on this board about paint overspray issues when parking at Bayonne. Don't know if they've totally resolved them yet. Evidently the parking lot is near a shipyard, and if they're painting when the wind blows.... so if you decide to drive and park, you may want to invest in a car cover (and make sure it's firmly secured so it doesn't blow off while you're gone). I would imagine any damages would be covered by insurance, but who wants to go through the hassle of that after they get home from a cruise?

Thanks everyone. I think we will drive!

It's not that bad, really. From the Wilmington Area, you can easily take the turnpike to Exit 14A. Just a word of warning...the exit off the mainline turnpike is for exit 14-14A-14B-14C. Make sure you follow the signs for 14A...otherwise you'll be heading towards Newark Airport...and planes definitely don't like water! :eek:

(Note, as an alternative to save some toll money, you can take I-295 North, and exit at Exits 28, 36A, 47A, 56, or 60. All put you on roads that lead directly to the Turnpike, and are signed as such)

Exit at 14A, pay toll or EZ Pass, and stay in the center 2 lanes at the traffic light. You'll go up and over an overpass, then you'll make 2 right turns. At the next intersection (I believe there's a light there), turn left. Go no more than a mile, and you'll turn left onto the pier for the cruise terminal.

The last time I was up there, the Cruise Terminal was very well marked from prior to exiting at 14A all the way to the terminal....which is unusual that the turnpike would even allow outside signage like that.

If your cruise is leaving on a Sunday, you should have no problems on the Turnpike in the morning, but expect afternoon congestion between Exits 6 & 8A in the summer, and ESPECIALLY on a holiday weekend. If your cruise is leaving on a Friday, you should be OK as you'll be driving up between the morning and afternoon rush hours.

Roadnut,

We leave on a Friday. If I know my husband, he will want to leave early! Thanks for the specific directions once we reach 14a. It's a huge help to know ahead of time! :)

Roadnut,

We leave on a Friday. If I know my husband, he will want to leave early! Thanks for the specific directions once we reach 14a. It's a huge help to know ahead of time! :)

Duh...just noticed ur in Media...probably easiest to come across the Com. Barry, then go North on 295 for a bit (I'm just off exit 22 myself of 295) before getting to the turnpike. (and my apologies if you already knew this...some people are excellent with directions...then there are others. I used to work on the Jersey Turnpike as one of those hated toll collectors. One of my favorite questions was "what state am I in". My answer..."Here's a hint...you are on the NEW JERSEY turnpike". Most of them got it. :D )

Should be a piece of cake on a Friday...although, like I said, if it's May 25...just be prepared for some holiday traffic, although prior to noon it shouldn't be a big deal. Once you get past Exit 8A the only problems would be the occasional accident.

From the info posted here it looks like the directions given on the port site will work.They mapquest you from your home.We are leaning toward leaving 7am for our Oct 12 cruise.Mapquest said 4 1/4 hrs so we feel that will give us plenty of leadway for a flat or whatever minor trouble.Another option is to visit Philly the day before and have a short trip the day of the cruise............Frank:)

We are scheduled to take the bus from Wilmington, DE but are thinking about just driving from Philadelphia to the cruise port. How difficult is this? We always drive to the Baltimore port and that is very easy. Anyone done recently? Is is safe to leave your car?

I tried to search this but the search feature doesn't seem to be working.

ANy info in appreciated.

Barb C

We drove from Canada to Bayonne (13 hrs). Booked a room at Best Western out near the airport. For $200 we got the room and left the car locked up in their lot for a week. Worked out well. Now, I have heard that people can leave their cars at the port and in fact I saw hundreds parked down there. Problem is though there is a shipyard not too far away and if the wind is right there have been problems with paint overspray. I have also heard the RCI is building a parking garage to protect customer cars down there. Not sure how far along it is though.

Thanks everyone. I've got my sea pass, my passport and my driving directions (thanks to all of you!). Now I just have to get throught the next 3 weeks. I'm going to hope for the best with the paint overspray......(my DH wmay even have an old car cover). Good suggestions.

Barb

Archived