How Much Luggage

jade8710

Also, one last thing....my hairdresser just told me today that she was going through security and they were going to throw out her lipstick from her purse. She was really angry so they gave her a plastic bag and told her to put it in there. What's the point if it goes right back into her purse? I am totally confused about security at the airport.

Thanks for any help.

The prescription question appears to have been addressed - but most are leaving this one unanswered. The point is to allow secuirty to examine your liquid and gel content. You are supposed to bring the pastric bag from home, and then the bag with your liquid and gels is pulled out of your purse and placed in a bin for xray, the way the laptop has to be taken out of its case going through xray.

In Denver last weekend, I saw a woman pulled out of the line and brought to a special screening area because she had one of those blank bottles you can buy at the drugstore and then fill with your own shampoo/conditioner. I am not sure if it was because it might have been slightly over 3 oz, or because it didn't have a label.

From TSA

"It is recommended (not required) that passengers bring along any supporting documentation (ID cards, letter from doctor, etc.) regarding their medication needs. It is recommended, not required, that the label on prescription medications match the passengers boarding pass. If the name on prescription medication label does not match the name of the passenger, the passenger should expect to explain why to the security officers. To ensure a smooth screening process, passengers are encouraged to limit quantities to what is needed for the duration of the flight."

This was all I found, it is from a memo regarding persons with disabilities. Last year when we were planning a train trip and cruise we found information that told us to keep them in original bottles but I don't recall where that was from.

Thank you for the response. I'd seen that quote and believe it's referring to liquids, gels and aerosols.

I have the letter from the doctor listing all his meds and I have the printouts from the pharmacy that have all the info about each RX. They're all pills so I think we'll be all right.

TSA is concerned with security and preventing terrorism attacks so I wouldn't think someone's pills would be something they're screening for. But when disembarking in Canada or coming back through Customs, I can see where they might be looking for illegal drugs and that's when it would be highly advisable to keep medications in their original bottles. In our case, by that time, we'll be on our way home and only have one day's supply of pills left in the case so if they take them, it'll be all right.

Hey everyone! I called the TSA yesterday and asked specifically about the medication. I was told that as long as I had the itemized list from my mail-in pharmacy listing all meds as well as my name then I was fine to put it in my weekly pill box!! Just an FYI! :D

I travel a lot and carry 2-3 prescriptions (all pills). Never a problem in the original bottle and without any other letter.

Re: the lipstick. It was considered in the "liquids/gels/aerosols" category even though it might not have been. All such articles must be in a 1 quart sized clear ziploc type bag and presented separately for x-ray screening. If not declared voluntarily, the TSA can confiscate the item(s). I am not saying I agree with the rule, just stating it as it is.

Note that the volume of the container itself can not hold more than 3.4 ounces (100 ml). So if you have a 5 ounce bottle that is more than half used, it still can not be taken in your carry on.

An empty bottle larger than 3.4 ounces may be taken. I do it all the time then fill it with water once past security.

No way we will have 80 degree in less than 2 weeks. The highs are around 60 daytime. In 6 trips, I have only once wore a short sleeve shirt in Alaska and it was the end of June. Capris only once as well.

Ah... it's been close to 80 in Juneau twice in late May/early June (only tie we go).. so 'never say never'... it can also be 50! Two years ago some stores in Juneau were putting air conditioning in bec. it had been so warm already.

Well, I guess I'm about to have an argument with my wife. We in 10 days for a two week vacation, including the week Alaskan cruise, (me, wife, 2 teens). I don't see why we can't pack eveything in one carryon apiece. Pack minimally, buy souvenir shirts, etc, then ship a box back home before we leave. The ship has laundy if we need to, right? She's done it for other vacations (very organized) so I don't see why not for this one.

Ship laundry? what ship though?.. Princess has self serve laundromats and there are same in local ports but I wouldn't want to waste time ashore washing clothes. Carnival has free wash/fold if you are "platinum" or highest status w/ them as does Princess (and they even press it for you). Many cruise lines have no self-serve laundry and it's very expensive to get things washed. My hat's off to you guys if you can do that with just a carryon:eek: .. really.. I'm impressed.:D

We're on Radiance of the Seas. I wouldn't ask her to "do laundry", but anything needed could be done on the ship, by the ship. Could freight/mail home enough from Anchorage so our travel home could be down to one carryon apiece. I'm renting the tux package on the ship, and wearing jeans with hiking shoes on the plane, so my carryon will have the camera & binoculars. My son's will be light, so he can carry the medications and sundries. Wife & daughter will pack more, but will manage, hopefully.

I just finished packing for my Alaska cruise this Saturday.

I have one larger, (but not a monster), suitcase for dress/hang up clothes.

One smaller one for jeans/sweat shirts/t-shirts.

A smaller one yet for bathroom stuff.

One rolling duffle for shoes and gear.

That's 2 check in bags per person.

I am also doing a carry-on of a change of clothes, as we are forced to chance a same day flight as embarkation day. That will then double as my purchases bag.

All sleeping peacefully waiting to be woke up at 3 am for our departure to the airport! :eek:

cheers! :)

Archived